North Korea Orders Nuclear Tests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea Orders Nuclear Tests

The leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-Un, has ordered an additional nuclear warhead test and multiple ballistic missile test launches. The action is escalating an already tense situation on the peninsula. The isolated, Stalinist nation is actively pursuing ICBM technology. Details on this story may be read here.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

I believe that this is related to the earlier news reports of Kim Jong Un telling his military to keep their nuclear warheads on standby after firing missiles at sea as a response to the additional sanctions imposed upon them by the UN. When news about this broke out, residents from neighboring countries, including ours expressed their woes on being affected by this if ever the North would really release their nuclear warheads. The US is still very confident though that these war heads still don't have the capacity to reach them. On my part as an ordinary individual, I'm really hoping any nuclear testings or attacks won't happen anytime soon.

Comment

It won't happen. Kim Jong Un is just sabre-rattling - again! North Korea would never take the risk of taking even a warning shot across the bough at any of the Western super powers, because his entire country would be annihilated, and he knows that. Likewise if he takes aim at south Korea. He's also now started to upset his main, ally, China, and if he loses the support of that country, he's more or less on his own!

Comment

They seem to be doing this rather often lately, the thing is, I don't know whether those missiles will ever be used against people. North Korea may have some firepower, but they don't have allies and they will never beat the likes of USA or Europe. I think they acknowledge that and that's why they haven't done anything yet. I think that Kim Jong Un is just trying to get the message across that they are ready to defend themselves against attackers and that they are a "force to be reckoned with." As opposed to looking like a weak, starving country. I wouldn't consider them a serious threat, unless I lived in South Korea or the nearby lands, then perhaps I'd be a little worried if anything.

Comment

Even though the original thread post is a little dated now, it's still relevant now as North Korea are still trying to push their weight around, and just recently they have fired missiles into the ocean as a show of strength.

Every time other countries impose stricter and stricter sanctions on them, this is what they do, as if to say there's nothing we can do to hurt them, and while from the outside it might seem like the sanctions aren't affecting them, I think if we was allowed to ask the general North Korean people what the effects are, we'd get a totally different story.

Comment

The type of communism that North Korea adheres to is so different from the communism that prevailed in Soviet Russia under Stalin's reign. Stalin's method more or less resembled the emperor of Qin Shi Huang Ti's "iron-fisted" rule. But North Korea's communist brand is a joke. Kim Jong Un is just playing around. If NATO decides to take his threats seriously, he'd be scrambling to his feet. I doubt NoKor has enough resources left to go to war. Even China and Russia's financial and military backing would fall short.

Comment

As I've mentioned before, I don't condone that. It even solidifies my concern over the world's safety and stability. NK has to offer nothing but threats. Shame on their leaders. At the same time, I feel really sorry for the innocent people who live there and hate it all. The worst thing is that they can't leave their country legally. Shame on Kim, a goddamn oppressor.

Comment

There's no doubt that North Korea is a threat to the world, even though at the moment it's merely just threats that we have to deal with than their actual actions, the threat is there.

There's not a great deal that the rest of the countries can do though, apart from be vigilant and keep an eye on what they're doing. If we go in all guns blazing and take out Kim, then that would almost make us as bad as they are, by pushing our views onto another country against their own will.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                  The type of communism that North Korea adheres to is so different from the communism that prevailed in Soviet Russia under Stalin's reign. Stalin's method more or less resembled the emperor of Qin Shi Huang Ti's "iron-fisted" rule. But North Korea's communist brand is a joke. Kim Jong Un is just playing around. If NATO decides to take his threats seriously, he'd be scrambling to his feet. I doubt NoKor has enough resources left to go to war. Even China and Russia's financial and military backing would fall short.
                  Interesting and good point. While there are aspects of the North Korean regime that resembles the Stalinist Soviet Union, and for that matter they never underwent De-Stalinization like the Eastern Bloc, the DPRK practices a uniquely Korean form of Communism known as Juche. Understanding that ideology is key to understanding the North Koreans.
                  "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by ASurvivor View Post

Interesting and good point. While there are aspects of the North Korean regime that resembles the Stalinist Soviet Union, and for that matter they never underwent De-Stalinization like the Eastern Bloc, the DPRK practices a uniquely Korean form of Communism known as Juche. Understanding that ideology is key to understanding the North Koreans.
                    Ah yes, I just read about Juche - an ideology that promotes self-reliance. Although that's not a bad ideology to pursue, I think it's more effective on the individual level. It doesn't seem sensible for a state to adhere to self-reliance principles in this age of globalization and international cooperation. China and Japan used to close their doors on the rest of the world but they later realized that the only way to progress is to welcome foreign ideas and cultures. Besides, Kim Jong Un has already asked help from Russia and China several times now. His nuclear program kind of defeats the purpose of Juche.

Comment

I was just also going to mention that an ideology of self reliance might sound like a good idea in principle, but it can't be done halfheartedly like Kim Jong Un seems to think. They are showing the world that they don't need any other countries and are deliberately treating them with disgust, but then when sanctions are placed on them they throw a tantrum like a 2year old child crying that it's not fair.

If they want to be totally self reliant then they can be. Every country cuts all ties with them, and nobody goes to help whenever they may need and ask for it. Let's see how long they can last before they might gave a change of heart.

Comment

This is a major feature of North Korea's leader calendar; playing with is toys and annoying the Western World. The West keep on huffing and puffing and North Korea keeps on being defiant. It seems that North Korea has the backing of China and Russia and that is why the Korean Leader continues to behave in this manner.

Comment

Working...
                        X