No announcement yet.

What are the odds of a third World War?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the odds of a third World War?

I think that since the 1940's we have come a long way in terms of maintaining peace and being civil to our neighbors. We are no longer fighting other countries for who has the best technology or who can fly the furthest into space. We aren't discriminating against other types of people, at least not as much as we used to. But that's not to say history cannot repeat itself.
    There have been numerous cases in the past where people conspired the chance of there being a third World War and it's never happened, but what are the chances of it happening in our lifetimes?

I think that with the rapid advancement of technology and countries readying up to go to Mars and beyond, something like the space race may happen again.
    Imagine the amount of conflict that will arise when whichever country happens to colonize Mars first. People are going to fight for land like animals and this is why we should be prepared. I'm sure it's happening already, but if it's not, we need to start planning how we are going to colonize areas that we have not been to yet. Not to say it's happening soon, but I'm sure that by the year 2100, we will be on other planets.
    The advance in technology could result in wars involving other things, such as advanced energy weapons and more powerful bombs. I doubt that ISIS will ever become powerful enough to start a war on a global conflict so let's put terrorism out of the equation and focus on countries fighting.

It seems that Russia and USA are still quite against each other, this is coming from a South African, watching it happen on the media. Europe and the Middle East seem to be having a little trouble with the Syrian refugees and all, but I doubt that's going to cause anything major. To sum it up, I doubt that any World War will happen soon, but when space becomes prime real estate and nobody cares about earth anymore, I definitely think there's going to be trouble. I could be wrong and I could be missing some things, so feel free to contradict my statements and give your input!

What do you think can happen and what will cause the next World War in your opinion?

Warfighting has completely changed over the years. Every country now has a trick up their sleeve save for the smaller less-financially sufficient ones. The growth of new proxy-based tactics and internet sabotage has become the new generation of warfare, and no country is going to commit resources to expend it on a large war that will cost billions in damage and losses of lives. Now, war is fought from the inside of offices, and the only boots-on-the-ground work that you will see are special forces training proxy armies (like the Delta Force and SOG are doing with the Kurds now against ISIS.)
    SashaS likes this.

Comment

I hope that we never have any more world wars, we now have the power to do a lot of damage.
      The trend overall is a decrease in war world wide, I hope to see this trend continue.
      Although America is pumping out so many weapons and then selling them all over the world, we may be having less wars then before but we certainly have more weapons available to us now. It's concerning.
      SashaS likes this.

Comment

Unfortunately with how the world is at the moment, I think we're closer than we've ever been to another world war, but it won't be fought in the Dane way as the others.

Advancements in technology as changed the way wars will be fought in the future, and some even say that most of the fighting will be done through computers and long range weapons rather than soldiers fighting in person.

Comment

Sadly, I think the odds are quite good that a large conflict is going to break out in the next fifty years.

A couple scenarios come to mind:

1. The conflict between Christians and Muslims comes to a head and a brief but brutal major conflict occurs than could lead to a genocide type outcome. No way the Muslims can ever win this because they do not have the technology to defeat the Western Christians on the battlefield.

2. The great bear of the North, Russia, starts to feel as though they are going to be left behind by the west in advancement into 21st century prosperity because the USA fears to share any sort of power with them. This ignites a conflict that could become quite dangerous to the rest of the world as well as Russia and the USA. China might benefit from this unless either or Russia and the US enact a scorched earth policy and decide to wipe everyone out.

3. China through the use of their superior cyber skills steals and develops technology based on ongoing research from around the world and deploys some form of technology that is superior to whatever is the current standard of tech enjoyed by the EU, the great Bear, and the USA.

Of the three outcomes listed above it looks like number one is the most likely to occur and the chances of that are small although could grow rapidly if certain things happen.
          SashaS likes this.

Comment

For me, several issues can cause World War III. These are:

1. Fight for resources and territory: China. It's definitely happening now. One example I could think of is China's dispute with Japan, Philippines and other Asian countries. They are fighting for a part of the South China sea which again, is full of underwater resources like fishes and other aquatic life.

2. Fight for government: North Korea. Now this one, I'm not sure what North Korea is fighting for. But I do think that there's such a hostile government behind the country and it's not unlikely that World War III might just happen between the two Koreas.

3. Fight for right: America. I think that even though the US government wants to set things right, not a lot of countries want their "interference." I'm referring to Afghanistan, Syria and even China. And that could likely lead to World War III as well.
            SashaS likes this.

Comment

This is an interesting and sobering topic. While I hope we never, ever have to contend with this disaster, it is prudent consider the possibility of another global war. The deterring nature of Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) is no longer a solid factor in world events as it was in the past. Even if it was, the late President Reagan once referred to it rather darkly, and perhaps accurately, as a "suicide pact".

To answer the main question, though, while economic uncertainty, international terrorism, and an insatiable demand for energy resources could all play a roll, I believe the primary danger lies in a regional conflict mushrooming into a larger conflagration. This is even more so if one or both states possesses atomic weapons. Examples might be:
              • North Korea invading the South and using weapons of mass destruction. The United States, and our allies, would most certainly be involved. If China were to engage, things could get really bad, really fast.
              • India and Pakistan going at it with A-bombs. Pakistan maintains strong relations with the Russian Federation and could, at least conceivably, pull in larger powers.
              • Israel and Iran fighting. Israel officially will not confirm or deny their atomic stockpile, but it is widely believed the posses such an arsenal. Iran, as we all know, is working towards such a goal.
              And there are plenty other scenarios that could potentially unfold. That said, we should not be fatalistic about such a thing. War can be averted. And if not, we can, both as a community and individually, prepare for such an eventuality. Even with the sum of all fears of a full nuclear exchange, some, perhaps most, will survive. Those that do must restore order, rebuild, and restore our country.
              SashaS likes this.
              "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm wishing and hoping for world peace but it really seems like the world is at a conflict right now. Every country has its own agenda and nobody seems to be giving in to each other. The conflicts mentioned above can be considered regional but when you come to think of it, these conflicts can spark war at any moment once the trigger points are run into. World War III can be considered as an impending phenomenon but I am still hoping for peace one way or another.
                SashaS likes this.

Comment

With how countries in recent years have managed to get along you would have hoped that a third world war wouldn't be on the cards anytime in the future, let alone in the next few years, but I guess it just goes to show we don't know what can change.

What's heppening in the middle east isn't helping tensions across the globe, but I kind of get the impression that the countries in that area would quite like the fact it was them that started the end of the world.

I think that's what they've been trying to do for a number of years now, and they're closer than ever to doing that at the moment.
                  SashaS likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
                    What's heppening in the middle east isn't helping tensions across the globe, but I kind of get the impression that the countries in that area would quite like the fact it was them that started the end of the world.
                    Instability has been endemic in that region for a long time, but I agree with you, the situation in the Middle East could very likely turn into a larger conflict. Which, in turn, could pull in the major players. A fine example of that is Syria, right now as of this writing, has the United States and the Russian Federation involved in the civil war. It doesn't take much imagination to see how things could get nasty real fast there.
                    pwarbi likes this.
                    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I appreciate all the constructive and fascinating feedback. I never thought of the situation in the Middle East as something that could escalate, given how isolated it seemed. But considering USA's involvement with that region, it could turn into something big at any time. Some countries have a knack for putting their heads into other countries businesses and this is what puts the World in World War.

Given how some entities that reside in the Middle East, such as ISIS, are terrorizing the entire globe, as opposed to just their countries of origin, something significant and global could happen. I'm also surprised by the India and Pakistan situation as I've never heard of any conflict between them before. I always assumed India was one of those countries that didn't involve themselves in wars or any kind of conflict. This thread has opened my eyes to conflict around the world and it's gotten me thinking beyond my train of thought, thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by ASurvivor View Post

Instability has been endemic in that region for a long time, but I agree with you, the situation in the Middle East could very likely turn into a larger conflict. Which, in turn, could pull in the major players. A fine example of that is Syria, right now as of this writing, has the United States and the Russian Federation involved in the civil war. It doesn't take much imagination to see how things could get nasty real fast there.
                        I agree with what your saying in regards to Russia and the US, but I don't think its these nations that we have to look out for. While they like to talk the talk, can you see either nation wanting to be responsible for another world war, because I can't.

It countries like North Korea and China, even Iran and Saudi Arabia that I'm more concerned about because we don't know what capabilities they have, but I'm sure we've seen enough already to see that they're crazy enough to use them whatever they may be.

Comment

Working...
                        X