North Korea Test Launches Missile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea Test Launches Missile

North Korea has successfully launched a new missile system with a range of 10,000 KM. They claim it is for launch of satellites. However, there is widespread concern that the technology will be weaponized and used to deliver an atomic payload. An EMP attack, for example, could be delivered in such a manner. CNN has details here:

"Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Although you can be happy for North Korea for stepping up, it's just sad that they have their priorities backward. They could have focused on providing better basic services for their people and more jobs for the unemployed instead of wasting taxpayers' money on missiles. That won't put food on the table.

Comment

The US is considering setting up its missile defence system in South Korea, against China's wish which doesn't want such a system near it's territories. Many countries including Japan and Russia have condemned the move citing their concerns over North Korea's nuclear ambition. They have all proposed tougher sanctions against North Korea. Unfortunately the North Korean leaders seem not to be shaken remembering what happened the other month when they tried what is believed to be a hydrogen bomb.

Comment

Apparently, they've launched a missile in 2012 with the same rationale. I'm just not sure why they don't change their priorities at all. Their people are starving and they focus on such technologies, weapons and missiles. It's just a shame that they can have money to invent something like this but still cannot feed their people. Or maybe just give them more freedom to choose if this is the life that they want.

Then, there's that issue of whether they really are launching a satellite or testing their weapon. The news also mentioned if they are supplying this weapon to other countries or maybe they bought it from another. It really has a lot of loopholes and it makes us wonder just what is their president's intention.

Comment

I think sometimes that the two symbols of our present kind of technological culture are the rocket ship and the bulldozer. The missle is a very phallic symbol of compensation for the sexually inadequate male. And the bulldozer, which ruthlessly pushes down hills and forests and alters the shape of the landscape. These are two symbols of the negative aspect of our technology. I'm not going to take the position that technology is a mistake. I think that there could be a new kind of technology, using a new attitude. But the trouble is that a great deal of our power is wielded by men who I would call 'two o'clock types.'

Comment

Martin Luther King, Jr. once opined "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." When I see North Korea's antics with missile testing, that quote often comes to mind.
            "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
            X