China Rushes To Finish World's Largest Telescope

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Rushes To Finish World's Largest Telescope

China nowadays giving finishing touches to the world's largest radio telescope according to the article the telescope designed to find signs of alien life following NASA's recent discovery of "Earth 2.0" with the planet-hunting Kepler space telescope. Well while NASA basked in the success of discovering an earth-like plant around 1,400 light years away with Kepler 452b, China announced that it has started assembling the world's largest radio telescope. Event the size of this telescope near about 30 football fields just because its Guizhou Province to enhance its ability to observe outer space. It is great to discuss with about he world's largest telescope because I had no idea about this before ever.

It is a universally good news for science. I wish it is being built in India but yes we can't just like that do one of those most advanced instruments.Europe has the largest collider. South America has the largest arrayed optical telescope.It will be an achievement should they have the next generation large space telescope in the next couple of years as well.
    Our next generation will be proud of us

Comment

I just hope that they would not just see another terrestrial body and claim it to be theirs. You may have heard of China claiming that they own Pluto as well. Sound's crazy aint it? China is good at claiming anything, including shoals and islands on southeast asia. I hope this is a move for advancement and for the betterment of this world.

Comment

Earth's moon will be the future target of territorial disputes. Earth's moon is rich in Helium 3. It is an element that makes a great source of electricity. Let's say a modest amount of Helium 3 can give energy to a whole city. I remember China is one of those countries interested on mining Helium 3 in the moon. You can imagine there is now a race between powerful countries to colonize the moon first because of the Helium 3. I had seen NASA interested about it before. If China managed to build colonies in the moon first, they are so claiming it.

Comment

It is good to hear about advancements in Science and Technology as this demonstrates that the world is not stagnant but is constantly improving and inventing. This telescope, if successfully completed could mean new and amazing discoveries that may hopefully prove to beneficial to us. I just hope that it will be utilized for positive outcomes and not for selfish gain or exploits and I hope to hear much more about this new development. It is also quite amazing that it has to be so huge.

Comment

I can't imagine the size of this gigantic telescope. The size of 30 football fields sounds absolutely enormous to me. I wonder about the costs of this "monstrosity", and what exactly it will be used for. Are they really going to be looking for alien life with it, or are there some other, more sinister, undercurrents involved in all this? I can't help being an eternal skeptic...

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              I wonder about the costs of this "monstrosity",
              At the time of its conception, it had an approved budget of $107.9 million. This is actually far cheaper than Chile's ALMA telescope which cost approximately $1.4 billion - which is the most expensive ground-based telescope in operation.
              amethyst likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

At the time of its conception, it had an approved budget of $107.9 million. This is actually far cheaper than Chile's ALMA telescope which cost approximately $1.4 billion - which is the most expensive ground-based telescope in operation.
                If someone knows more about this subject,can you clarify to whether China's dish antenna will join in with the hundreds of thousands of interconnected radio telescopes spread across vast areas or coordinate with other very large arrays?

To be more clear on this question,yes this will be a their own telescope but will it be used as part of an array.

Comment

I'm 100% for "arms races" between countries for these types of developments. Imagine if the effort we put into destroying others stuff instead went into science! We could learn so much and solve so many problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BranTheScooterMan View Post
                    I'm 100% for "arms races" between countries for these types of developments. Imagine if the effort we put into destroying others stuff instead went into science! We could learn so much and solve so many problems.
                    Arms race? Seems like it. Remembering the Cold War and the battles before, its just like this. The battle for technology that leads to a war. This is another monster creation as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade Mae View Post
                      Arms race? Seems like it. Remembering the Cold War and the battles before, its just like this. The battle for technology that leads to a war. This is another monster creation as stated.

You got my connection between this and the events of the cold war. But I have to clarify the general message of that post.
                      I'm all for when countries compete on non-military developments instead of on military developments.
                      I put it in quotes because it's not really the proper term for this, I guess "non-arms race" would be.

Comment

Originally posted by BranTheScooterMan View Post
                        A telescope and arms race ??
                        Can u brief us more ?? I mean i really can't get to the root of what you want to convey here.

How are these studies pertinent,pls explain that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
                          Can u brief us more ?? I mean i really can't get to the root of what you want to convey here.

I guess its more on race on technology rather than calling it arms race. Though as stated, the telescope "may" be used as a battle equipment. Long ago, you may have heard of cold war. Or maybe one thing famous is the race upon which country will produce a greater tech or higher equipment. Like for example is the battle of US and Russia to create nuclear weapons and even the first one to step on the moon if you may remember. The point in here is that there is race for higher tech and that determines which country wins.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post

There is a slight insinuation in the article that it is actually for war purposes, but I was thinking more along the lines of a "space race" than an "arms war."
                            We waste so much resources killing each other and destroying things.
                            Imagine if that was put into something more positive like fully exploring our planet and universe.

Comment

Hopefully this will extinguish our insatiable craving to explore space. If you are sensitive enough you can see all of space through telescopes. We are already in space, way out in the middle of nowhere. But we have also found that the universe goes on forever and we need to stop chasing it or it will just keep running away forever, lol. Just like the future, you can never reach the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X