China Plays Down South China Sea Military Exercises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Plays Down South China Sea Military Exercises

Well, according to the article the "Chinese Navy" played down recent military drills in the south China sea and criticized other countries for "illegally" occupying islands in the area. Not even this but also China has launched a naval drill in water to the east of Hainan Island, a largely unpopulated region of reefs and shoals in which a number of countries maintain contradictory and overlapping territorial claims.

I think holding sea drills is a common practice for navies with various countries. The annual drill by the Chinese navy aims to test the troops real combat abilities, and boost their maneuverability. Just like search and rescue or abilities to fulfill diversify military.

ASEAN has failed to even criticize China over their recent acts including claiming South China Sea as their own backyard just because it has its name.Maybe,Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan should form a 'South China Sea Sovereignty Collaboration' as a diplomatic resistance to Chinese bullying and aggression in the region.

Comment

It is legal to have Navy Drills. It is done most by countries. But we do know one of there aim. Southeast Asia is having crisis due to the conflicts on the Spratlys islands and other shoals. Japan, America together with Philippines had Air , Land and Naval drills recently. Said 3 countries are on both side. I guess China is preparing also. I hope there would be no war to occur.

Comment

South East Asia is not the only conflict of China. They have territorial dispute against Japan and South Korea as well. Heck China even double crosses country they consider as allies. They were actually feuding with India as well. You can also add Turkmenistan on the list, that country have tensions with China as well. I remember few years ago, China warned Taiwan that they will attack Taiwan if Taiwan declares independence.

One of Japan's biggest worry about China is how Chinese ships were cruising around a Japanese Island with an elderly population. It's like China is waiting for that elderly population to die off.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
          South East Asia is not the only conflict of China. They have territorial dispute against Japan and South Korea as well. Heck China even double crosses country they consider as allies. They were actually feuding with India as well. You can also add Turkmenistan on the list, that country have tensions with China as well. I remember few years ago, China warned Taiwan that they will attack Taiwan if Taiwan declares independence.

One of Japan's biggest worry about China is how Chinese ships were cruising around a Japanese Island with an elderly population. It's like China is waiting for that elderly population to die off.

It's very obvious that China is inventing its own rules that it hopes can supersede the terms and conditions established by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas (UNCLOS), which is the international law that governs rights and entitlements of modern nations.

Even recently as yesterday,Filipino fishermen removed Chinese buoys near disputed shoal.Actually Philippines claim on that is in accordance with the Law of the Sea Treaty that was ratified by the United Nations Organization. Philippines is not committing any violation of the law on its claim on that. No doubt it is inside the maritime jurisdiction of Philippines.

Comment

Vietnam is also starting to complain because China is also crossing their territories. China is now building oil rigs in different South East Asian territories and now the have the audacity to claim they have the right to do so. I don't know why the United Nations is doing nothing against this. if China will not be stopped from these actions, they might start invading countries and claim it to be theirs. China see d to be over confident to feud with multiple countries but if all those countries team up against them. Will they remain confident.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade Mae View Post
              It is legal to have Navy Drills. It is done most by countries. But we do know one of there aim. Southeast Asia is having crisis due to the conflicts on the Spratlys islands and other shoals. Japan, America together with Philippines had Air , Land and Naval drills recently. Said 3 countries are on both side. I guess China is preparing also. I hope there would be no war to occur.

The difference here is that Japan and USA is conducting training for the Philippine military. They are doing these drills on Philippines soil and air space. China is in disputed sea and controlled lands. That is the difference. If any foreign power was to do those kinds of drill 100 nautical miles off the coast of the USA they would be asked to leave immediately or be blown out of the water. Any country that tries to get that close to our waters, it would signal an act of war.

Comment

Vietnam is also starting to complain because China is also crossing their territories. China is now building oil rigs in different South East Asian territories and now the have the audacity to claim they have the right to do so. I don't know why the United Nations is doing nothing against this. if China will not be stopped from these actions, they might start invading countries and claim it to be theirs. China see d to be over confident to feud with multiple countries but if all those countries team up against them. Will they remain confident.

The United Nations wants to start tribunals on this matter, but China has refused to show up and testify. It's not the UNs fault, China is not showing up to answer the complaints made by the Philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post

It's very obvious that China is inventing its own rules that it hopes can supersede the terms and conditions established by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas (UNCLOS), which is the international law that governs rights and entitlements of modern nations.

Even recently as yesterday,Filipino fishermen removed Chinese buoys near disputed shoal.Actually Philippines claim on that is in accordance with the Law of the Sea Treaty that was ratified by the United Nations Organization. Philippines is not committing any violation of the law on its claim on that. No doubt it is inside the maritime jurisdiction of Philippines.

China is doing what most powerful countries are doing to preserve it's way of life. The are trying to control as much natural resources it can by force or sheer ignorance. They are looking into the other direction in modern day law and the 100 nautical miles that all countries control at sea. For some reason they think they own the entire China Sea and are looking past the 100 nautical mile rule.

Comment

As far as what I read and hear, only the Philippines has brought this to the attention of the United Nations. Other countries that feel like they are being encroached on should raise up and be heard. Why is it that only the Philippines has made a legal complaint? If more countries speak up then it becomes a multinational complaint against China and that way it becomes a situation that must be addressed as opposed to one country in disagrence with another.

Comment

By far Japan's action against China is to transfer their factories to the Philippines and India. Those countries don't provide labor as cheap as China but this is their way for making an action against a country they consider as a threat.

Vietnam were already criticizing China's action to their territories but by far they haven't made any complaints to the United Nations. You can also add the regions of China that wanted to secede as part of their conflicts.

Comment

By far Japan's action against China is to transfer their factories to the Philippines and India. Those countries don't provide labor as cheap as China but this is their way for making an action against a country they consider as a threat.

Vietnam were already criticizing China's action to their territories but by far they haven't made any complaints to the United Nations. You can also add the regions of China that wanted to secede as part of their conflicts.

The world has been feeding china all of their business, and quite frankly they have created a monster. China has grown so big that they are now the #2 superpower in the world and have taken over, for the lack of a better term, like a plague. They have spread their influence and have encroached into other territories in search of vital resources in order to sustain itself. Yes people, stop spreading rumors are asking silly question. They are in the area of the spartly islands because of the oils and gas resources that are in the area. By staking their claim to the immediate area, they are controlling the mining as well as the naval travel ways that billion if not trillions of dollars worth of goods that are shipped all year long.

Japan has taken the right actions by taking away their manufacturing sectors in China and moved them elsewhere. How do you stop a giant from growing, you stop feeding it. I highly suggest other countries move their businesses elsewhere and let them feel the pinch of their actions. The USA should follow suit and not give them any business at all if this conflict continues. I think that is what China is worried about the most. The USA has so many ties and influences around the world, they might be scared of a economic backlash.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post

China is doing what most powerful countries are doing to preserve it's way of life. The are trying to control as much natural resources it can by force or sheer ignorance. They are looking into the other direction in modern day law and the 100 nautical miles that all countries control at sea. For some reason they think they own the entire China Sea and are looking past the 100 nautical mile rule.
                          China’s claim to 90% of the South China Sea is an affront to the Whole Human Race and has no legal basis.All the world’s oceans are the maritime commons for all of the world’s people.
                          Does Russia claim to 90% of the Black Sea? or does India claim to 90% of the Bay of Bengal?? Or Japan to 90% of the Sea of Japan???
                          Pure bullying act from China.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post

China’s claim to 90% of the South China Sea is an affront to the Whole Human Race and has no legal basis.All the world’s oceans are the maritime commons for all of the world’s people.
                            Does Russia claim to 90% of the Black Sea? or does India claim to 90% of the Bay of Bengal?? Or Japan to 90% of the Sea of Japan???
                            Pure bullying act from China.

I'm not validating what they are doing in any way. I did not say I was for it. Just stating the fact they are doing what they want because they are trying preserve their way of life. They have gotten so big too fast that they can no longer sustain themselves by legal means of acquiring new resources.

Stop using the words bullying like this is a high school fight and hazing incident. Use standard rule of law and take it to the UN like normal people. Bullying is not breaking the law, but encroaching within 100 nautical miles of a countries waters is. If you are going to use the laws set forth to protect people in the region then start using proper terminology and take it to court or in this case the UN tribunals.

This is not genocide so I don't know why you are bringing up "The Whole Human Race". It is a legal matter to be taken up with the United Nations. That is where the matter is to be settled.

Comment

JoshPosh I am not sure if you watch the Reality show Shark Tank, its a show where struggling entrepreneurs are making pitches to Multimillionaires and Billionaires to get investors and that show makes me realize how much dependent many businesses in the US to China. I had seen many participants on that show who said their product is manufactured in China so people will be able to afford buying their product. There are also many participants who wants investors so they can mass produce their Product in China.

I rarely see a participant on that show who manufactures their product in local American soil or other countries. I see someone who decided to have her products manufactured in Uganda.

It makes me wonder if African countries might be the next good source of cheap labor for mass producing. We all know many factories were built in China due to cheap labor. Vietnam also have potential because they have the cheapest currency.
                              Last edited by Billy; 07-31-2015, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X