Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, now we have that issue of scaring people as an act of terrorism. That is why I had posted a thread about Marikina West Valley fault to point out the hype that the government is doing. It is as if the big eathquake is coming when the seismologist addmited on a radio interview that it can occur within 400 years. Come on, isn't that scaring people? They are in the process of relocating schools that are situated on top of the fault and at the end of the month, June 30, we have an earthquake drill that would include a no water, no electricity situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
      Okay, now we have that issue of scaring people as an act of terrorism. That is why I had posted a thread about Marikina West Valley fault to point out the hype that the government is doing. It is as if the big eathquake is coming when the seismologist addmited on a radio interview that it can occur within 400 years. Come on, isn't that scaring people? They are in the process of relocating schools that are situated on top of the fault and at the end of the month, June 30, we have an earthquake drill that would include a no water, no electricity situation.
      Are you actually stating that you cannot even tell the difference between a terrorist group that kidnaps, tortures, and beheads people; and a government that is doing everything that it can to instruct their people in how to be safe (and survive) if there is an earthquake, or other natural disaster , Alexandoy ?
      There is a huge difference between warning people about a possible danger or disaster, and murdering innocent people just to terrorize them.

Also, your long diatribe about the Philippine earthquake drill is not even remotely connected to the topic of this thread, which is about the United States positioning our military and equipment in strategic positions in Europe.

Back on topic:
      It appears to me that both sides are staging their weapons and armies in a position, and if we are going to place our military so close to the borders of Russia, then we should certainly be expecting that country to also be aware of this, and protecting their homeland.
      Standing guard over one's own country does not equal starting a world war, nor does it equal terrorism.
      dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Tumbleweed
        • Terrorism Definition

dictionary.search.yahoo.com

n. noun
          • 1. the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims

By definition, the participation in the big pissing contest is a terrorist act. Flying military aircraft right off the coast of an enemy's country is terrorism. The definition doesn't actually specify beheading anyone. That is just some peoples' take on it, I guess.

As a matter of fact, if kidnapping, torturing, and beheading are the earmarks of terrorism, then the Twin towers was not an act of terrorism.

ANYTHING that a person, group, or even even entire government does that is intended to cause terror. in an attempt to satisfy political aims, is a terrorist act. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
          It sounds like an attempt to scare people, in my opinion. It happens a lot, all around the world. Most of the time, I just can't figure out what they hope to gain. I think a lot of time its a distraction, so we won't see what is really going on... what we should REALLY be afraid of..

Comment

Originally posted by LilAnn View Post

It sounds like an attempt to scare people, in my opinion. It happens a lot, all around the world. Most of the time, I just can't figure out what they hope to gain. I think a lot of time its a distraction, so we won't see what is really going on... what we should REALLY be afraid of..
            I'm sorry but I disagree with the notion that Phivolcs researchers publicly releasing this information is an attempt to scare people.

I fully agree with Tumbleweed Conducting research into the potential for an earthquake and making the public aware of these findings is preparation NOT an attempt to scare/terrorize people. It is not designed to instill panic or fear but to make the public aware of the potential dangers so that they can prepare for the eventuality of an earthquake.

Being mentally prepared is an important part of disaster preparedness which ultimately saves lives and can mitigate damages and loss of lives.

How is this any different to the recent news that improved science has revealed that there is a strong likelihood of an earthquake in California in the next 30 years? Is that also an attempt to scare the public?

By the same token, should tornado warnings also be considered a scare tactic or a distraction?
            ASurvivor and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

• Tumbleweed
              Tumbleweed commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome post, dillinger10 ! Great explanation to educate people about what is and is not terrorism, and what is preparedness for a disaster. (clapping hands)

Originally posted by LilAnn
            search "government instilling fear in people". There are legitimate cases where this happened. Even in our lifetimes. Its always under the guise of preparing for a disaster, or preventing terrorism. To say it isn't a possibility is one of two things: naivety or just straight up trying to be an argumentative b*t**. because someone mistakenly thinks it makes them sound smart. Both examples being hypothetical, of course.

No government is going to admit that they do this. They aren't going to admit A LOT of things. That doesn't make them any less real. And people fall for it every single time. They make assumptions based on biases and never find out until after the fact that they were hoodwinked.
            Firstly, would you please kindly point me in the direction of any legitimate sources that claim disaster preparedness or earthquake research amounts to the government instilling fear in people.

Secondly, to the bolded sentence, personal attacks are unacceptable. Disagreeing with someone is perfectly fine, using personal insults are not.
            Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

9/11 and the patriot act
              9/11 and TSA
              the civil war and slavery
              The revolutionary war and taxation

Instilling fear is instilling fear, regardless of the means. To assume that Alexandoy is SO WRONG that he deserves to be verbally spanked is just ridiculous. Unless you live in the phillipines and can see it for yourself you don't get to judge someone else who DOES live there, and is living it everyday. He knows better than us whats happening over there.

I apologize if my comment didn't come across as hypothetical as I intended.

Comment

• Tumbleweed
                Tumbleweed commented
                Editing a comment
                This thread is supposed to be about the Pentagon storing military vehicles in Europe, not about earthquake drills in the Philippines.

Your comments; besides being very rude, are also totally OFF-TOPIC .
                If you cannot post relevant comments on threads; your posts will be reported to a moderator.

Originally posted by LilAnn View Post
              9/11 and the patriot act
              9/11 and TSA
              the civil war and slavery
              The revolutionary war and taxation

Instilling fear is instilling fear, regardless of the means. To assume that Alexandoy is SO WRONG that he deserves to be verbally spanked is just ridiculous. Unless you live in the phillipines and can see it for yourself you don't get to judge someone else who DOES live there, and is living it everyday. He knows better than us whats happening over there.

I apologize if my comment didn't come across as hypothetical as I intended.
              And how do these examples have any relevance to earthquake research and preparedness? Again, I would appreciate if you could show me an article or research claiming that disaster preparation or earthquake research constitutes as terrorism or an attempt to instill fear in the public.

I asked previously but will ask again, how is Phivolcs publicly releasing their findings any different to the news that improved science has revealed that there is a strong likelihood of an earthquake in California?

Do you believe that tornado warnings are also considered terrorism or an attempt to instill fear?
              Last edited by dillinger10; 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM.
              ASurvivor likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
                And how do these examples have any relevance to earthquake research and preparedness? Again, I would appreciate if you could show me an article or research claiming that disaster preparation or earthquake research constitutes as terrorism or an attempt to instill fear in the public.

I asked previously but will ask again, how is Phivolcs publicly releasing their findings any different to the news that improved science has revealed that there is a strong likelihood of an earthquake in California?

Do you believe that tornado warnings are also considered terrorism or an attempt to instill fear?
                Please, allow me to rephrase... the means are irrelivent. Be it an earthquake preparedness drill, or a terrorist attack, if its intention is to scare people so that they will either not notice what is really going on, or convince us to allow an invasion of our rights and our privacy... it's terrorism. Textbook terrorism.

I don't know if the earthquake drill over there is legit or not. Because I'm not there. Never been. Never will be, most likely. BUT IF THEY ARE USING IT TO SCARE PEOPLE IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THEIR POLITICAL AIMS, ITS TERRORISM. And the guy who actually lives there thinks thats whats going on.

Comment

May I? I have had my hand up for some time now, so I think butting in is appropriate since no one will call on me.
                  Let me re-read for a moment. yep, no, no, uh huh, yes, no, oh my goodness such naughty posturing, uh huh, yes, .....Okay. I think I have it now.

Tanks and arms moving to Europe. That's the thread and so nothing else really matters, now does it? Scare tactic or preparedness, that's the co-thread.
                  I do believe, if there was a huge tank on my front lawn with the turret pointing the other direction, it would not be a scare tactic but quite the opposite. I would probably have a warm, fuzzy feeling of great security against whatever comes. I call it, being prepared for whatever might (even warned about) happen. It's like handing someone a bar of soap and then showing them and telling them that germs are everywhere. No one is trying to scare anyone, just explaining that soap acts as a preventative for disease.
                  Now, were the tanks called a terrorist activity when they were lined up at the Ukraine border? No to that also. Putin merely pointed out that he was in charge. Clean and simple.
                  Prior to the phrase, "terrorist attack" the technique was called harrassment. In all war fronts there are acts of harrassment which kill many soldiers and civilians but they are not designed to win a war, but to provide small, nearly insignificant jabs which cost money and cause much confusion, compared to the overall war.

For the U.K. and Europe to start stocking up on arms means one of two things. An offensive movement or that of defense. The defensive posture that Europe is taking is not meant to terrorize or harrass their own people but give them a reason to feel a little more secure and get that little "warmer, fuzzy night's sleep."

Which does bring me to some concern LilAnn, the actual thread was so easy to answer but the off topic posting was indeed an act of "harrassment," which does not lend itself to an intelligent conversation much less the winning of a debate. Being warned of a possible disaster, and being prepared for it is not harrassment nor terrorism, but positive re-enforcement. Now, back to the golf course.
                  dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacherbob50 View Post
                    May I? I have had my hand up for some time now, so I think butting in is appropriate since no one will call on me.
                    Let me re-read for a moment. yep, no, no, uh huh, yes, no, oh my goodness such naughty posturing, uh huh, yes, .....Okay. I think I have it now.

Tanks and arms moving to Europe. That's the thread and so nothing else really matters, now does it? Scare tactic or preparedness, that's the co-thread.
                    I do believe, if there was a huge tank on my front lawn with the turret pointing the other direction, it would not be a scare tactic but quite the opposite. I would probably have a warm, fuzzy feeling of great security against whatever comes. I call it, being prepared for whatever might (even warned about) happen. It's like handing someone a bar of soap and then showing them and telling them that germs are everywhere. No one is trying to scare anyone, just explaining that soap acts as a preventative for disease.
                    Now, were the tanks called a terrorist activity when they were lined up at the Ukraine border? No to that also. Putin merely pointed out that he was in charge. Clean and simple.
                    Prior to the phrase, "terrorist attack" the technique was called harrassment. In all war fronts there are acts of harrassment which kill many soldiers and civilians but they are not designed to win a war, but to provide small, nearly insignificant jabs which cost money and cause much confusion, compared to the overall war.

For the U.K. and Europe to start stocking up on arms means one of two things. An offensive movement or that of defense. The defensive posture that Europe is taking is not meant to terrorize or harrass their own people but give them a reason to feel a little more secure and get that little "warmer, fuzzy night's sleep."

Which does bring me to some concern LilAnn, the actual thread was so easy to answer but the off topic posting was indeed an act of "harrassment," which does not lend itself to an intelligent conversation much less the winning of a debate. Being warned of a possible disaster, and being prepared for it is not harrassment nor terrorism, but positive re-enforcement. Now, back to the golf course.
                    If I had seen you raising your hand I would have called on you.

First, let me say that I was responding to other people. It wasn't me who derailed the conversation.

Why can people not understand... I know none of you are stupid, yet no one can get it. It isn't about WHAT they use to scare people. When the government scares people on purpose for political gain, blah, blah, blah it IS an act of terrorism. Maybe they really are just saying the soap is preventative in fighting disease. Maybe it a few cases of the bubonic plague, a terrorist attack, food poisoning, war of the worlds, Or maybe we ran out of ketchup. It doesn't matter what they use to scare people. When they DO scare people they are as guilty as the other terrorists. As far as the earthquake preparedness... I don't know what is going on over there. Unfortunately, we haven't had anyone else from the phillipines speak up and tell us whats going on. And as far as I'm concerned the person who lives there knows more about it than anyone who doesn't live there.

I don't understand why no one gets it... its so simple. And I'm pretty sure I'm speaking english. But yet, everybody wants to talk about god forsaken earthquakes and soap.

Comment

Okay, you do not like metaphore's or comparative studies. Now, at long last, for 2 pages of activity you want to do what a thread starter is supposed to do. Just to be off topic for one small paragraph, the initiator of a thread should be proud enough to monitor the thread and move posters back to the topic proposed. This, is done with wisdom, patience, and leadership.

After reading what everyone had to say, I am very sure that almost everyone ""got it" but you simply did not like the answers you got.

When I gave you my answer to your initial query, lilann, it did not come from some kid with absolutely no experience in the somewhat torrid strategies of war. It came from a student of war and a past combat veteran. I realize most people on this forum probably do not fathom the entire spectrum of thought involved with being a combat veteran so I shall try to explain in order to bring clarity to my highly unsatisfactory (by your written posturing) post.

In the course of any military action the first thing that has to be ascertained is, "is it harrassment, is it a show of muscle, or do we need to pass out the extra ammo because this might be the real push?"
                      Governments, particularly the present U.S. under the present leadership, will not invest in the movement of a 20 million dollar piece of equipment, let alone a lot of them, unless we are #1. showing muscle or #2 making a defensive stance, preparing for the possibility of military offensive movement. (which both of them are nearly the same thing, but not exactly) In the history of the U.S. we do not TAUNT. No scare tactics, no media driven drivel, no passive aggression. It is either war, or it is not.
                      We are not like the professional wrestlers (watch it! another metaphore) who verbally poke the opposition in the eye. Instead, we sit in our corner and wait for the bell to sound. If there is no bell, we are still ready.

With the promise of the U.S. military pull out of the U.K. and the step-down of military personnel in Europe there is a lot of concern as to whether some countries can withstand opposing military aggression. Hence, part of the security measures, which are not limited to, but including movement of superior equipment to areas which might be threatened.

Okay, I know you would rather "scare tactic" or taunting (psychological toro poo poo) be the answer because face it, nothing beats a good political conspiracy theory bent on confusing the puplic at hand. But, war is what it is, even if undeclared.
                      Last edited by Preacherbob50; 07-03-2015, 06:49 AM.
                      dillinger10 and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

Wow. Everyone's become so passionate and the comments are all over the place. I likewise don't want to be taken out of context just because my views don't coincide with anyone else's. Anyhow, someone has got to do the job. If no one reminds Russia that they're not the only country with military might, then who will? I don't want to call these countries terrorists but their interests are only for their nation. Hence, the bullying of weaker countries.

Russia sought to trample Ukraine for the sake of its own people (or so Putin would have us believe). China, on one hand, has been selfishly and without regard for the rights of other countries, expanding its territory through the usurpation of other islands. They're not terrorists because their purpose is not to scare. Their purpose is to acquire more resources that would elevate the status of their country.

Comment

I don't know if the government is trying to scare Russia into behaving, or just trying to say "you will stay within your borders." Not really sure of my opinion on this subject at the moment though. The whole thing is so complex. On the one hand I do not want Russia to get away with continuing to abuse or bulky its neighbors, but on the other hand I certainly do not want to provoke conflict.

Comment

Working...
                          X