No announcement yet.

The Burundi Crisis: Chorela outbreak kills 33 in refugee camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [World/Regional Conflict] The Burundi Crisis: Chorela outbreak kills 33 in refugee camp

A cholera outbreak at a refugee camp sheltering thousands of Burundian refugees in northwest Tanzania has killed at least 33 people, a Tanzanian regional health official said on Wednesday. Over 100,000 refugees have fled into Tanzania since the attempted coup last week. Read more at http://www.trust.org/item/20150520160059-3ybm5/

Who's handling the crisis there? I guess the Burundi government does not have enough manpower and financial resources to contain the outbreak. WHO has some tips to offer, however: http://www.who.int/cholera/technical...on/control/en/. Hopefully they'll be able to disseminate and laymanize this information to affected regions.

Comment

I read more about the day-long crisis meeting of the five-nation East African Community (EAC) -- made up of Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda as well as Burundi.With all this happening in the back drop they were discussing if it was "conducive" for elections in Burundi, and had finally discussed to "postpone" it.Looks like they do nothing much than condemning the coup.
      Understandable that its because of the third term,but these need to put common sense right ahead of their notions.

Comment

bala youre right there. The EAC heads of state cannot do anything on the political processes of member countries. The EAC is just a free trade area. However, they are all aware that Burundi could slide into genocide. Based on that Rwanda has indirectly indicated it will send forces if Burundi allows 'militia' from Congo to cross into Burundi. In this case 'militia' refers to the Burundi Presidents tribesmen waging another war in DRC. Rather complex I guess.
        Having said that, it appears that Burundi is slowly headed for another civil war. Thousands of its citizens have crossed into Tanzania over the past. Protests have been going on in the capital since Monday. Today two people were killed during the protests. If nothing is done by the UN and the International Community the country will soon erupt. Similar thing happened in South Sudan last year. Overall my take is that we are witnessing the making of another African dictator and another failed state.
        Meanwhile, the culprit, President Nguruzinza, today went playing football as 105,000 people flee his country and the rest die of from cholera! Am I missing something here? Sorry for the long post. Read more at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32829176 and http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...50521?irpc=932
        dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

According to this BBC News report, it is estimated that a total of 3,000 people have now been infected with the disease and up to 400 new cases are being diagnosed each day. That is a staggering number.

This information courtesy of Water Aid suggests that 22.3 million - almost half the population - do not have access to safe water and just 12 percent have access to toilets. Sadly, it is no wonder that diseases such as cholera and diarrhea spread so quickly here.

Comment

Wow, a cholera outbreak. Really? In this modern age, it is unbelievable to have a cholera outbreak. Why? The primary factor of cholera is lack of clean water. In other words - proper hygiene and sanitation. But I also understand that in some African countries, lack of clean water is a common problem. Now, this is a job for the UN. Let a task force be created not for the cholera but for the lack of clean water.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
              Wow, a cholera outbreak. Really? In this modern age, it is unbelievable to have a cholera outbreak. Why? The primary factor of cholera is lack of clean water. In other words - proper hygiene and sanitation. But I also understand that in some African countries, lack of clean water is a common problem. Now, this is a job for the UN. Let a task force be created not for the cholera but for the lack of clean water.
              No denying that buddy,but access to clean water is a rarity in some countries and they without a choice take to unclean and unsafe water to stay alive.UN of late hasn't been into "activities" at all.They have actually refrained from doing something over the last couple of months at least.Quite weird and i don't have a reason too.
              If clean water is accesible and potable.The death rate would drastically come down by at least 25%.

Comment

According to the United Nations, UNICEF have been heavily involved with the relief efforts in Tanzania and have sent supplies include a cholera treatment kit for 100 cases, chlorine, soap, water purification tablets and plastic buckets as well as high-nutrition ready-to-eat food. Hopefully more cholera treatment kits will be sent in the very near future, especially if the estimates of 400 new cases a day are accurate.

Meanwhile, this UN report also states that UNHCR is trucking in clean water.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
                  According to the United Nations, UNICEF have been heavily involved with the relief efforts in Tanzania and have sent supplies include a cholera treatment kit for 100 cases, chlorine, soap, water purification tablets and plastic buckets as well as high-nutrition ready-to-eat food. Hopefully more cholera treatment kits will be sent in the very near future, especially if the estimates of 400 new cases a day are accurate.

Meanwhile, this UN report also states that UNHCR is trucking in clean water.

Water..? What about potable water.The risk is that everybody uses the same water source and it spreads like wildfire.To date some 3,000 cases have been reported, and numbers are increasing at 300-400 new cases per day.It stokes up a great deal of fear about a humanatarian crisis as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X