No announcement yet.

Iraqi Forces & Militias Attempt To Take Back Tikrit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [World/Regional Conflict] Iraqi Forces & Militias Attempt To Take Back Tikrit

Both Iraqi Forces and Militias have begun fighting to take back their cities from the Islamic State. Tikrit is the latest one in the news. Allied forces have also joined in the fight.

Originally posted by ABC
    Explosions and heavy gunfire echoed through Tikrit, a key way station for Iraqi forces trying to expel the militants who hold roughly a third of the country and neighboring Syria. The offensive also will serve as a major crucible for Iraqi forces, which collapsed under the extremists' initial offensive last year and now face street-by-street fighting in one of the Islamic State group's biggest strongholds.
    Iraqi Forces, Militias Sweep Into Islamic State-Held Tikrit

I don't know if you've read this follow-up report but Iraqi forces are getting the upperhand in this battle against ISIS. They've managed to take back the military hospital as offensive continues. Soon, they'll completely drive ISIS away from Tikrit. CNN reports: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/11/wo...t-duplicate-2/.

Comment

I hopeful that they do exactly just that. Local forces, and specifically the Iraqi forces are vital to the stability of the region once ISIS is driven out. What I'm hoping for are concrete measures to keep ISIS at bay in the aftermath. They need to secure the borders permanently or risk having this entire operation be for naught.

Comment

This is a pretty cool video to watch on this war.

Comment

Here is an update on this conflict. Published March 16

The Tikrit offensive has been stalled and request for airstrikes have been made due to two chemical attacks. Here is the news report.

Comment

Here is some more video on this conflict. In this video you will see Kurdish armies fighting against IS. It does not show direct conflict but it shows some of what they are doing.

Comment

Here is some raw footage of the fight in Tikrit. The first video was taken a day ago. The second was taken 6 hours ago. Don't worry, I don't show videos of death or carnage. You will mostly just see them firing at the insurgents in the video. I mainly am showing this so you can see the heavy artillery they are using.

Comment

So it wasn't only at Yemen. Two days ago, the United States also launched airstrikes on ISIS forces in Tikrit, Iraq but the operations appear to have botched. Shiite militiamen boycotted the fight when 9 of their men were accidentally shot during the airstrikes. They expressed their hatred towards the Americans, threatening to get rid of them should they see them. The US forces decided to intervene after the Iraqi militia stalled their mission in Tikrit for three weeks. More of this news here.

Comment

They really can't pin that on the US because the US is not the only ones doing the airstrikes. Not to mention, the airstrike plans were known and mapped out for over a month before they happened. They knew where the US was going to strike and when. They had access to that information as it was planned along side their own military. If their men were there, they did not properly vacate where they knew that the strikes were going to happen. It is the price of war, sometimes your own get caught in friendly fire. Hence the reason for battle planning in the first place between allying countries, to reduce the probability of it happening. I do understand their anger, but they can not solely blame the US for it.

Comment

CNN is reporting that looting broke out in Tikrit just hours after ISIS forces were driven out. One senior Iraqi security official said that he witnessed at least 20 houses set on fire while more than 50 shops were looted, damaged or burned. Security forces were unable to stop trucks loaded with looted goods from fleeing.

Comment

Working...
                    X