13 Die in Indonesian Military Helicopter Crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Die in Indonesian Military Helicopter Crash

As of today, 13 people died after a military helicopter crashed in Indonesia on Sunday. A Bell 412-EP helicopter was carrying 13 soldiers and crew when it went down about 35 minutes after it took off from Poso district's Watutau village. The military helicopter was on a mission to capture Indonesia's most wanted militant when it crashed and burst into flames. The real cause of the crash isn't known yet although thunderstorms were said to have contributed to it.

Here's a link to more on the story:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ng-12-37792157

One of the unfortunate results of putting your life on the line for your country. They should have check weather patterns because especially with a helicopter, it can easily be destroyed by things like high wind, lack of oxygen and storms. My condolences go out towards the families of the deceased and I hope this is a lesson learned that will prevent something like this from happening again. This on the other hand is from a region that has had over 250 million transport accidents in it's history, so how much will it take for authorities to realize they need to fix things?
    gracer likes this.

Comment

Becoming a soldier indeed means that you are ready to die anytime for your country. It's a sad and unfortunate part of being a soldier and the death of these 13 soldiers who were on their way for a mission is proof of how dangerous their job is even when they're not yet on the battle field. I remember a helicopter crash in our area years ago carrying the advance party of our President. The people inside the helicopter were all part of the military and were sent as an advance party to check on the safety of the President's destination. Their helicopter however, crashed on the mountains because of bad weather and poor visibility.

Comment

The military personnel were said to be a joint team of police and military and they were supposed to pursue the members of MIT or the East-Indonesia Mujahiddin. It is a terrorist group led by Santoso, Indonesia's most wanted fugitive. Apart from the bad weather conditions, there's speculation that the crash was due to a lightning strike.

Indonesia has one of the highest number of crashes in Asia apparently. I just wish that with such bad weather conditions, they shouldn't have continued on the mission. It has cost the lives of these military personnel. Condolences to the family though.
        Deadly incident: This picture shows part of an Army helicopter that crashed in Poso regency, Central Sulawesi, on Sunday afternoon. At least thirteen ...
        gracer likes this.

Comment

Working...
        X