Accident Caught on Dash Cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident Caught on Dash Cam

I just saw this on the news the other day and I couldn't help but be awed with how the accident happened. A car with a dash cam recorded the incident. A car irresponsibly passed the vehicle with the dash cam on a curved bridge with solid yellow lines on it that means there should be no overtaking. But the driver still took the risk of doing so and he hit an approaching motorcycle in the process. The impact was strong that the motorcycle rider flew up in the air before landing on the road. I thought the guy was already dead but luckily he only sustained minor bone injuries. His helmet helped him a lot because if he wasn't wearing one then he could have died on the spot.

Here's a video on the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7he0tOnhv0

I remember the accident involving yet another motorcycle rider who wasn't wearing a helmet when he bumped into the back of the bus we were riding in. He died on the spot because his head was gravely injured.

With more and more people these days have dash cam technology installed, I think we're going to have to get used to seeing more footage than ever before of incidents such as this.

While careless and reckless driving as been around since the car was first invented, I think now we're actually getting to see it, we're going to realise just how common it is.

Comment

I'm glad that the motorcycle driver wasn't injured badly or even worse, died. This just really goes to show that helmets can be quite life-saving equipments. You should not leave him without it whether you're a biker or motorcycle driver.

Anyway, with regards to the news story, overtaking on blind spots can be really dangerous. I have never even once seen my husband do that. I witnessed a few reckless drivers do it though and it always makes my heart beats raise. Unfortunately, not a lot of people follow road rules and the consequence? Most of the time, they hurt innocent passengers or civilians or drivers.
      gracer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
        With more and more people these days have dash cam technology installed, I think we're going to have to get used to seeing more footage than ever before of incidents such as this.

While careless and reckless driving as been around since the car was first invented, I think now we're actually getting to see it, we're going to realise just how common it is.
        What's funny is that the original purpose of the dash cam was for insurance uses in countries where fraud was hard to defend yourself from, like in Russia, which is why you always see so many of them. Ironically, we're more likely going to see failed fraud attempts and even dangerous accidents from a new perspective because of this.
        gracer and pwarbi like this.

Comment

Insurance fraud happens in most countries and while some countries it happens more than most, I think we're all at risk of it happening to us no matter where we live.

Here in the UK a lot of Taxi drivers for example and people that drive for a living are having dash cams installed of their own accord in order to protect themselves, and who can blame them.
          gracer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
            Insurance fraud happens in most countries and while some countries it happens more than most, I think we're all at risk of it happening to us no matter where we live.

Here in the UK a lot of Taxi drivers for example and people that drive for a living are having dash cams installed of their own accord in order to protect themselves, and who can blame them.
            I know that since Uber is becoming a pretty big phenomenon here in Los Angeles, dash cams have become pretty necessary for Uber drivers and even rear-view cameras ever since there was a spike of assaults and false rape allegations from drunk passengers. I've been with a lot of Uber drivers in my time, and some of them were saved in legal battles from rear-view footage. In other cases though like in certain countries in Eastern Europe, it's more to do with the insurance business.

Comment

For me, anybody who drives for a living especially should have these cameras in their vehicles exactly for that reason.

While it does protect them when it comes to insurance purposes, it can also protect them from being liable for alsorts of other accusations, and the more common these cameras are, the less people will make these false accusations as they know something can be easily proved one way or another.

Comment

This is sad, but I think dash cams are a great thing. They can help you if you have to take things to court for an accident and they provide good evidence for accidents. You can record your daily driving routines and find out how to be a better driver. They are used here in South Africa as loyalty programs, the insurance company Discovery, rewards you for driving well, which is great. It gives drivers a reason to avoid road rage and running red robots, which is too common here in South Africa. Uber isn't too popular here as we are a developing country and most people are oblivious to or not exposed to modern technology and innovations such as Uber.

I know that in Russia, where car accidents happen way too often. Almost everyone has a dash cam, that's why there are so many compilation videos on YouTube showing car accidents in Russia, it really helps them.

Comment

Dash cams are indeed very helpful when it comes to investigations regarding road accidents and insurance purposes. It serves the same role as CCTV cameras in roads and establishments do. Now gone are the days when it's hard to find concrete evidence with regards to crimes because of the presence of cameras everywhere including cars. The accident that was caught on the dashcam in the original thread has been recorded well and authorities were able to take the violator to jail immediately because of that evidence.

Comment

The more convictions that take place because of the dash cam footage, the more it stands to reason that more people are going to start using them. Nobody wants to be blamed for something they haven't done, and the use of dash cams automatically stops that from happening.
                    gracer likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X