No announcement yet.

Why so Many Plane Crashes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my country's top airlines is ranked as part of the unsafest airlines ever yet it doesn't have any incidents of crashing in the east 10 years. That proves aerial related accidents were actually rare because Pilots go through a very strict process of training. Airplanes goes through more maintenance than cars. I am actually more afraid to ride a bus or drive my car on a very busy high way than ride an airplane. I believe there are also more Maritime tragedies than Aerial ones.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
      My strongest belief when these things occur is money is the reason. In the past things were built strong but now.... everything is built cheaply to save money. This causes for more problems such as parts breaking and such. Cut backs can cause a lot of issues. Not to mention, many company's now outsource to foreign countries. So the quality of the parts is not where they should be.
      This Popular Science article suggests that planes today are actually built much safer than in years past.

During the early days of flying, planes weren't built to crash. They could fly, sure, but when something went wrong, there wasn't much to protect a pilot or passengers from impending doom.

Partially because of researchers like DeHaven, plane safety has evolved extensively since the days when seats were barely screwed to the floor and made with plastics that gave off toxic gasses in a blaze. And DeHaven's idea of "crashworthiness" is one of the main reasons so many people survived the crash of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 in San Francisco July 6.

"The triple-seven that crashed [Saturday]-that airplane is a very, very sturdy airplane. It's overbuilt," says Bill Waldock, a professor of safety science at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Arizona. "Boeing in that particular design incorporated a lot of reinforcements that went beyond the [safety] minimums." Those reinforcements, including in the seats and floors, make the plane a little bit heavier, but make it better able to withstand impact.
      This BBC article documents the rigorous amount of testing planes go through before they ever make it into operation:

Nowadays, aircraft testing is incredibly elaborate and rigorous. New planes only make it into the air after a long list of tests – from chucking chickens into jet engines to simulate bird strikes to bending the wings to extreme angles.

In the last 10 years, the testing methods have undergone major changes– both on the ground and in computer simulations. The aim, in both cases, is to minimise the number of hours testing planes in flight.

Accidents of the past – such as the crash of an airliner at Dallas Fort-Worth in 1985 during a thunderstorm, or the electrical fault which brought down a TWA flight near New York in 1996 – spurred aircraft designers to bring in more and more safety features into new aircraft at the design stage, long before they started carrying paying passengers.

Comment

This Wall Street Journal article provides some additional information on manufacturers recent reliance upon high-tech materials that are lighter, stronger and less prone to corrosion than the metals they have replaced.

Industry officials predict the role of composites will continue expanding as engineers learn better how to produce and use them. For example, when Boeing built the first Dreamliner model, the 787-8, designers included big safety margins on many components and later found they withstood stresses "significantly higher than could ever be experienced in even extreme cases," said Mike Sinnett, Boeing's vice president of engineering.
        Global News further expands upon this:

“In the early days of aviation the major source of accidents were mechanical issues with the aircraft itself. The industry has done an amazing job in identifying those accidents and building stronger, safer aircraft. Nowadays the rates of accidents caused by the aircraft are very, very low,” said Suzanne Kearns, an aviation professor at Western University in London, Ontario.

Safety is improving because aircraft manufacturers don’t leave things to chance. From the drawing board to the first commercial flight, years pass. Aircraft are put through rigorous testing that examine every feasible environment or situation in which a plane might be expected to fly, land or take off.

The planes are tested in hot climates, cold climates, at high speed, low speed, high altitude and low altitude. The engines and frames are tested — all to ensure that passengers arrive at their destination safely.

Comment

Video Copyright: Airbus.

I was able to find this video showing the rigorous ground testing, including mechanical load and pressurization evaluations, the Airbus AS50 undergoes before being approved for operation.

Curious as to the price of commercial airliners, I was able to find this Forbes article which provides some background information regarding the cost. I thought others might find this of interest.

The latest version of Boeing's BA 777 currently lists at $320 million. Lufthansa signed up for 34 advanced 777X widebodies last week in Dubai at an apparent price of $347 million each, and the Wall Street Journal suggests that airlines signing up later will pay $350-400 million per plane for the 777X, depending on which variant they buy. Boeing’s 747 jumbojets already sell in that range, and the Airbus A380 “superjumbo” sells for over $400 million each. Remember, these are planes being sold to private-sector airlines, not governments with deep pockets.
          Last edited by dillinger10; 08-01-2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Air transport is said to be the safest of all modes of transport. But I never remember times when I am hearing such a series air accidents happening. May be it is the hype created by media as everybody shared here. But with the advancement in modern technology it is supposed to be very less. Too many flights are missing mysteriously and too many plane crashes. By God's grace nowadays plane hijackings are rare, I think.

Comment

Working...
            X