Train crash in South Africa leaves 326 people injured

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train crash in South Africa leaves 326 people injured

A collision between two trains at the Booysens station in Johannesburg has left 326 people hospitalized with minor to severe injuries. The cause of the accident is not yet known although it was reported that the trains were on the same track and that it appears that a traveling train collided with a stationary train.

The BBC reports the injuries range from soft tissue injuries to more serious issues such as spinal injuries, fractures and breaks. No fatalities have been reported as of yet.

More can be read here and here.

For now there is only one update,one vehicle rear ended the other.Its not the first case in this year as well,because its been happening and they stil lare not able to curb it,though the last accident happened in April when a guard was killed on a stationary train at Johannesburg’s Denver station when it was hit by a train that passed a red warning signal.

Stat from Sun-Daily : Almost 900 people were killed in railway accidents between 2007 and 2009,

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
      For now there is only one update,one vehicle rear ended the other.Its not the first case in this year as well,because its been happening and they stil lare not able to curb it,though the last accident happened in April when a guard was killed on a stationary train at Johannesburg’s Denver station when it was hit by a train that passed a red warning signal.

Stat from Sun-Daily : Almost 900 people were killed in railway accidents between 2007 and 2009,
      Thanks for the update. Would it be possible whenever you reference an update from news article to include a direct link to that article as well? It would be helpful for those, myself included, that would like to read the entire article. Thanks.

Comment

There are new updates this afternoon courtesy of the AP. The number of people injured in the collision has been revised to 239 people, down from the 326 that was originally reported. I am not quite sure why there was a discrepancy as this was not explained in the article itself.

Of those injured, eight remain hospitalized. Thankfully, it appears that no one was critically injured and there were no fatalities.

I wasn't able to find the Sun-Daily article that bala referenced above but I was able to find the same statistics quoted in this report by The Guardian.

This article published by The Daily Maverick documents the safety problems with the Metrorail in South Africa.

The SAIRR said more than 160 people died in mining accidents in 2009 and 2010, but that close on 900 people lost their lives due to rail accidents between 2007/08 and 2008/09. The survey indicated that 81% of railway accident fatalities happened when “people were struck during train movements”.

If you’re unemployed, marginalised or can’t afford better, you take your chances with Metrorail, knowing that your odds of being late, robbed, crushed, injured or even killed are reasonably high. Silinganiso, 26, takes the train to work every day. “The train is not so expensive,” she says “but there are often delays. It makes me late, like today I was 45 minutes late for work and I got into trouble at work,” she says.

Comment

A spokeswoman for South Africa's Railway Safety Regulator announced today that the train crash was caused by a faulty signal. The moving train hit the stationary one from behind because a signal that should have ordered it to stop did not turn red. Investigations as to why the signal did not function correctly are still ongoing.

More on this statement can be read here

Comment

Working...
          X