Small Passenger Plane Missing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Passenger Plane Missing

A small passenger plane carrying three passengers, Leland Bowman, 62, his wife Sharon Bowman, 63 and their step-granddaughter Autumn Veatch, 16., came up missing shortly after take off in Montana on Saturday. The last cell phone call from a passenger aboard was at 11:30 PM Saturday night.... 7 hours after their departure at 4 pm.
    Rescue workers in Washington state said they would continue searching Monday for a small plane carrying three people that disappeared after takeoff from neighboring Montana.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Wow, that "news" article offers virtually no useful information. This one has a little more information, although I'm assuming that "Mount Maker" is actually Baker. A line from Omak to Lynden goes almost over the top of Mt. Baker, so that certainly seems like a logical place to search. That's some extremely remote, rugged, and wooded terrain. Sadly, it may take a long time to locate the plane.

Comment

Scratch that last comment! It looks like the teenage girl survived the crash and walked to safety. I don't know if she will be able to lead rescuers to the wreck, but it is still great news.

Comment

What an amazing story ! It is incredible that she was able to survive the plane crash, and then be in any kind of a condition to walk for help, especially for two days out there in the mountains.

It seems like we had a very similar plane crash a month or so back, where almost the same thing happened. But that one was a younnger girl, and she did not have to walk so far before finding help, if I recall it right.

Hopefully, they will be able to use some of the information from the survivor, and be able to find the plane faster.
        fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

It's another miracle as the young girl managed to survive that crash and be able to find the strength to look for help. A person's survival instinct indeed gives one the strength and courage to keep going even after experiencing such a traumatic event. It's a second chance of life for that young girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
            What an amazing story ! It is incredible that she was able to survive the plane crash, and then be in any kind of a condition to walk for help, especially for two days out there in the mountains.

It seems like we had a very similar plane crash a month or so back, where almost the same thing happened. But that one was a younnger girl, and she did not have to walk so far before finding help, if I recall it right.

Hopefully, they will be able to use some of the information from the survivor, and be able to find the plane faster.
            I think I was the one who reported that story here. It was a 7 year old if I remember correctly... or was she 9. Either way, for the young... an accident of this magnitude is very frightening and it takes a lot of courage and willingness to survive to overcome it.

Comment

This the first time I am reading this article. It is wonderful that the young girl survived and was able to walk to help. Did they ever find the plane with the grandparents? If so what was the outcome?

Comment

Originally posted by Susan View Post
                This the first time I am reading this article. It is wonderful that the young girl survived and was able to walk to help. Did they ever find the plane with the grandparents? If so what was the outcome?
                Yes, investigators found the plane (extensively burned) and the bodies of the grandparents last Wednesday.

The granddaughter gave an interview to CNN the next day in which she described how she tried to rescue her grandparents from the crash:

They were alive, they were both screaming … There was no way I could get to grandma because she was on the far side and there was nothing I could do, but I assumed that if I got grandpa out first then maybe she would come out.

“I was trying to pull them out and I just couldn’t do it. There was too much fire and I’m a small person.”
                More can be read here

Comment

Wow that is so sad. I was hoping there would have been a better outcome. Thank you for sharing that link.

Comment

She is going to go through a lot of guilt in her life. Most likely she is going to feel like she failed and that tragic scene will haunt her. It is sad that she will have to live with that. I hope she understands that there was nothing she could have done and what she tried to do was very brave of her.

Comment

Associated press published an article sometime back on this.They ascertained it when they said that the plane's tail registration number matched with the one that hogged the news as missing airplane,though there is no solid evidence as yet to whether they are related.
                      Thoughts and Prayers to the Bowman family.

Comment

They must have been flying very low to have hit the trees when they came out the cloud bank. That is why most small planes try to avoid flying in clouds... it is difficult to see past them and it is easy to fly into things when in them.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
                          They must have been flying very low to have hit the trees when they came out the cloud bank. That is why most small planes try to avoid flying in clouds... it is difficult to see past them and it is easy to fly into things when in them.
                          Not necessarily. Mt. Baker is 10,781 feet, and some of the other peaks in the range are rather tall and extremely steep too, while valleys are deep. There is a reason that the range is known as the "American Alps". Also, given the rapidly-changing weather and frequent rain in the area it can be nearly impossible to avoid clouds. The pilot should have done a better job of tracking his location on a map and steering clear of peaks, but he may well have been flying above a valley at a reasonable altitude but for the mountain in the way.

For more detail about the area and terrain, see this article about the North Cascades.
                          dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Maybe they should start putting radars in planes to identify objects coming up when they are in dense fog or cloud cover. That might save some lives in the end. They have them for Subs, why not planes? I don't know the first thing about planes so I am not sure what they have.

Comment

Working...
                            X