Van Carrying Fireworks Burst Into Flames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Carrying Fireworks Burst Into Flames

A van carrying illegal fireworks burst into flames along a main highway in between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. No one was reported to have been injured but the incident affected the flow of traffic in the area.

The driver of the van has fled the scene after the fire broke out and hasnít been found yet. Fireworks are also noted as one of the main causes of California wildfires, worsened by the ongoing drought experienced in the area.

Hereís a link on the story:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/03/us...mes/index.html

How lucky that nobody was injured in this incident that could have literally blown out (or up) of all proportions. The potential damage could/would have been devastating, and I sure hope that they will get this reckless individual and stick him behind bars for a while.
    I have seen and survived several bush fires that got out of hand due to general stupidity, such as people throwing cigarette butts and glass bottles out of their car windows. Such ignorant behavior, despite of clear signs everywhere warning about the high fire danger, people continue to cause millions of hectares going up in smoke, causing major hardship to residential areas and to wildlife.

Comment

So I guess the situation was the fireworks somehow reacted to the surrounding heat (including perhaps the heat emitted by the van's engine). Hence, the explosion. It's a good thing that no one was hurt but the incident should serve as a lesson. Fireworks companies should commission the creation of vans specially designed to transport fireworks to and from places. Such vans should have a built-in temperature regulator. It would help a lot.

Comment

Illegal fireworks? Sure could have been much worse. Fireworks are so much more dangerous than many people think. In my town they are totally banned because of the fire danger. I know most people who can legally light fireworks, and some who can't, will still do it, but hopefully some will receive the warning there is real danger if something goes wrong. My mother never allowed me to be around anyone who was doing fireworks and I have maintained that policy for myself as an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingLady View Post
          Illegal fireworks? Sure could have been much worse. Fireworks are so much more dangerous than many people think. In my town they are totally banned because of the fire danger. I know most people who can legally light fireworks, and some who can't, will still do it, but hopefully some will receive the warning there is real danger if something goes wrong. My mother never allowed me to be around anyone who was doing fireworks and I have maintained that policy for myself as an adult.
          This is absolutely true, as evidenced by the numbers. In 2013, emergency rooms in the U.S. treated an estimated 11,400 people for injuries related to fireworks; 55 percent of those injuries were to the extremities and 38 percent were to the head/face.

Children under the age of 5 were most at risk and experienced a higher per capita injury rate than any other age group. I went digging around to see if I could find out why this was and research indicates that consumers feel comfortable in young children using sparklers as they perceive them to be less powerful. In actuality, sparklers and bottle rockets accounted for more than 40 percent of all estimated injuries.

And that leads us to July 4th, where more fires are reported in the U.S. than on any other day, and fireworks account for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires.

Comment

I have always been afraid of handling fireworks, even the seemingly safer ones. During the new year season when fireworks are almost everywhere, my family would just be contented by watching them from other people's show of fireworks rather than us handling the fireworks ourselves.

With regards to the van carrying fireworks, the van contained illegal fireworks so I'm guessing investigators are also now trying to figure out where those fireworks came from and where they are really going to be used for. Illegal trades such as these never results to something positive. I'm just glad no one was injured at all during the fire.

Comment

Working...
            X