21 People Killed, 17 Injured in Bus Crash in India

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 People Killed, 17 Injured in Bus Crash in India

According to this article: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-fi...jures-17-media ,

21 people were killed and 17 were injured after a bus collided with a truck in Central India. The bus and the truck were moving at very high speeds and the bus was carrying 38 passengers. According to the article, India suffers from over 200,000 fatalities every year due to traffic accidents.

Living in a third world country myself, I can see why this is common. Here in the Philippines, you often see buses and trucks driving on the opposite lane at high speed just to overtake vehicles that are in front of them. Though this wasn't mentioned in the article, it makes me pretty suspicious. I haven't experienced a crash myself but I've seen wreckage on the side of the roads way too many times.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Road accidents are indeed very common in the Philippines. I've had my share of my own experiences regarding that too. I guess in every situation, the term "defensive driving" should always be in the mind of people who are driving. The act of being cautious and careful when it comes to driving is being neglected nowadays. This is specially true with experienced drivers who think that they are experts when it comes to the road. Laws and regulations on driving should be looked upon and reviewed by concerned authorities to at least lessen road accidents, not only in third world countries but also in richer nations.
    takeshifujimoto likes this.

Comment

Digging through the numbers reveals that many third world countries suffer the hardest with road accidents. An estimated 140 people die on the road per day in Nigeria and 120 in Indonesia. Poor countries account for around 50 percent of the world’s road traffic but a staggering 90 percent of the traffic fatalities.

To put this into some context, the global average of road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles is 93.3. The Central African Republic leads the list with a staggering 13472.8 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles. In India, the number is more than double the average at 207.5 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles. Philippines is at 128.1. The U.S. comes in at 13.6 while according to the data, the lowest fatalities per 100,000 vehicles is 3.8 in Malta.

Comment

Innocent people die because of wreckless drivers. These accidents happen more and more everyday. Car to car collisions are also becoming more common. Even if you are a cautious driver, if you encounter someone who is wreckless on the road, you will still be in danger.

Road safety should be implemented strictly. Harsher laws shoud be made that will convict those who drive recklessly or under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Many people had suffered enough from these kinds of drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
          Road accidents are indeed very common in the Philippines. I've had my share of my own experiences regarding that too. I guess in every situation, the term "defensive driving" should always be in the mind of people who are driving. The act of being cautious and careful when it comes to driving is being neglected nowadays. This is specially true with experienced drivers who think that they are experts when it comes to the road. Laws and regulations on driving should be looked upon and reviewed by concerned authorities to at least lessen road accidents, not only in third world countries but also in richer nations.
          And I think one of the worst things about drivers in the Philippines (and perhaps other 3rd world countries) is the fact that getting a driver's license here is relatively easy. I spent most of my life in the U.S. and just recently moved here. The requirements to getting a driver's license here is relatively much easier. I think that's one thing to keep in mind. Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
            Digging through the numbers reveals that many third world countries suffer the hardest with road accidents. An estimated 140 people die on the road per day in Nigeria and 120 in Indonesia. Poor countries account for around 50 percent of the world’s road traffic but a staggering 90 percent of the traffic fatalities.

To put this into some context, the global average of road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles is 93.3. The Central African Republic leads the list with a staggering 13472.8 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles. In India, the number is more than double the average at 207.5 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles. Philippines is at 128.1. The U.S. comes in at 13.6 while according to the data, the lowest fatalities per 100,000 vehicles is 3.8 in Malta.
            Hey dillinger, thank you kindly for your feedback. I love how your posts are always so full of meaningful information. Thanks for sharing that. From my experience of living in a 3rd world country, I notice that highways leading to provinces tend to be pretty empty in terms of law enforcement. Most of the time you will never come across traffic enforcers and police stations are usually based in run-down hut-like buildings. This being said, when an accident does happen in one of these highways, it takes a long time for emergency response units to respond, and I think that has a lot to do with the numbers of fatalities being so high.
            dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
              Innocent people die because of wreckless drivers. These accidents happen more and more everyday. Car to car collisions are also becoming more common. Even if you are a cautious driver, if you encounter someone who is wreckless on the road, you will still be in danger.

Road safety should be implemented strictly. Harsher laws shoud be made that will convict those who drive recklessly or under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Many people had suffered enough from these kinds of drivers!

That's the part that frustrates me the most about my country. A lot of the traffic enforcers here would rather try to cheat people of their money rather than do actual enforcing of traffic rules. If things are to change, then we need to have stricter traffic laws and people to actually enforce these laws to prevent accidents like this from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by takeshifujimoto View Post

That's the part that frustrates me the most about my country. A lot of the traffic enforcers here would rather try to cheat people of their money rather than do actual enforcing of traffic rules. If things are to change, then we need to have stricter traffic laws and people to actually enforce these laws to prevent accidents like this from happening.
                This is the third or fourth time that I have heard someone from the Philippines suggest that the penalties for bad driving aren't strict enough or that the laws need to be stronger. I find this to be interesting and would really like to learn more about this. Would it be possible to expand upon what makes the laws so lacking and why this is. What is the typical punishment for someone that is responsible for reckless driving or driving under the influence? Perhaps others from the Philippines could also share their own viewpoint, also.

Comment

Originally posted by takeshifujimoto View Post
                  And I think one of the worst things about drivers in the Philippines (and perhaps other 3rd world countries) is the fact that getting a driver's license here is relatively easy. I spent most of my life in the U.S. and just recently moved here. The requirements to getting a driver's license here is relatively much easier. I think that's one thing to keep in mind. Thanks for your feedback!
                  I know someone who just paid a fixer to have his license delivered to him. He did not even take a test nor did he drive for the LTO. He is a good driver though which is lucky but he should still have taken the test. Imagine how many people has gotten their license this way.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

This is the third or fourth time that I have heard someone from the Philippines suggest that the penalties for bad driving aren't strict enough or that the laws need to be stronger. I find this to be interesting and would really like to learn more about this. Would it be possible to expand upon what makes the laws so lacking and why this is. What is the typical punishment for someone that is responsible for reckless driving or driving under the influence? Perhaps others from the Philippines could also share their own viewpoint, also.
                    My husband always always complains about how our traffic enforcers just catches drivers who swerve and drivers whose plate number is coding. They do this to get money from these people, instead of actually doing their work which is to regulate traffic and catch actual reckless driving. So for me there are laws but the authorities fail to implement them.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post

I know someone who just paid a fixer to have his license delivered to him. He did not even take a test nor did he drive for the LTO. He is a good driver though which is lucky but he should still have taken the test. Imagine how many people has gotten their license this way.
                      Is this something that is fairly common in the Philippines?

I did a little more digging around on this and came across this article suggesting that you can buy these licenses for P450, which is approximately $10. Rather worryingly, the article suggests that it is almost impossible to tell the difference between these fake licenses and a real license unless that person were to use a special device designed to distinguish a fake license from a real one.

Comment

Working...
                      X