Truck crash results in 20 million bees spilling onto a highway in Idaho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck crash results in 20 million bees spilling onto a highway in Idaho

As someone that is allergic to bee stings, this item of news made my skin crawl. An estimated 20 million bees spilled on to a local highway in Idaho when a semi truck swerved off the road at milepost 8 south of Howe. The truck was carrying 408 beehives, each carrying 50,000 bees - with an estimated worth of $200,000.

The driver was able to escape the truck and was uninjured in the crash though took off running down the highway after the accident occurred. Unfortunately, it appears that all of the bees are either already dead or will soon be dead.

More on this crash can be read here.

This is one of those freak accidents that can be avoided. I feel like reading the domestic news since most trucks here are the causes of accidents like hitting a pole or turning upside and spilling the cargo. One time there was a truck that lost its brakes and got loose the cargo of 50 pigs. Some were caught and some perhaps landed in private slaughterhouses. Now, with that cargo of bees, what happens to the owner? He cannot catch all those bees, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
      This is one of those freak accidents that can be avoided. I feel like reading the domestic news since most trucks here are the causes of accidents like hitting a pole or turning upside and spilling the cargo. One time there was a truck that lost its brakes and got loose the cargo of 50 pigs. Some were caught and some perhaps landed in private slaughterhouses. Now, with that cargo of bees, what happens to the owner? He cannot catch all those bees, right?
      According to this article, the exact reason why the truck driver swerved, causing the truck to topple over, is still unknown. As for the bees themselves, the bees that escaped will be dead by tomorrow as they cannot live without their colonies. The bees that remained at the crash site were killed with foam by emergency responders to ensure they didn't become a hazard, especially for motorcyclists.

Comment

Ahem. Sorry... I have to say this.
        I would so not want to BEE there for that. That must have BEEn awfully scary.

Comment

Wow, that's really shocking. I've never actually thought that could happen but that could be really dangerous because a lot of people are allergic to bee stings and it can be really traumatizing for such people that live in the area.

Comment

I'm also afraid of bees and their sting of course. Although I love the honey they produce because it has actually helped me with my childhood asthma before. Anyway, back to the topic. Good thing the bees which were left behind were immediately foamed by the emergency responders. It would be very dangerous especially for people who are severely allergic to bee sting. I just hope the ones that escaped have gone to any nearby forest.

Comment

Working...
            X