Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you investigate the reputation of an airlines before booking a flight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you investigate the reputation of an airlines before booking a flight?

Before I start this discussion, I want to share 2 articles that will be very relevant to this thread.

Top 10 most dangerous airlines

http://www.travelvivi.com/top-10-mos...rous-airlines/

Top 10 safest airlines

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/...-airlines.html

I got the idea to post this thread because a friend of mine just got home from Cyprus and this friend of mine arrived safe and alive with the controversial Malaysia airlines. As far as I know Malaysia Airlines don't really have a bad reputation but they have 2 recent crashes which gave them some stigma against them. The Flight MH370 and The flight MH17 . MH370 dissapeared without a trace while MH17 is attacked by a Missile because it is mistaken as an enemy. Despite of those 2 controversial incidents, I can still consider Malaysia airlines as safe because it is not in the list of the top 10 most dangerous.

When you are taking a flight, do you try to investigate the plane crash records of an airlines before taking a flight? Have you tried the services of the Airlines listed in the top 10 safest list and the top 10 worst list?

From what I know the flights on those airlines with the least crash incidents have a more expensive price when it comes to flight tickets and services.

Too bad that Philippine Airlines is on the list though I had tried that airline and what a coincidence, I arrived safe on my location. I honestly dont read reviews on airlines where I ride. Most of the time, there are limited airlines having flight to our province so there is no other way to reach the place. I just ride on planes and I would consider the tip on reading reviews on airlines if I would be able to travel outside the country.

Comment

When it comes to local flights in the Philippines, I prefer Cebu Pacific. They don't have much controversies. I think Philippine Airlines is not as bad as the list say because I haven't heard any controversy about it within this decade. Also there is an airline that is so poor that passengers sit in monobloc plastic chairs.
      I don't remember the name of that Airline but I am pretty sure Philippine Airlines is much more better than that one. Anyway I found a chart that is much more better than that top 10 list, it is more accurate looking to me:

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/accidents.htm

I don't know why that top 10 list included Philippine Airlines when it's last crash is in 1994. I thinks this company already learned it's lesson. No crashes for 2 decades.

Comment

I always just look for the cheapest. I've been screwed before because the airline either wasn't professional or wasnt prepared. But on the rare occasion I have to fly, the money I have to put out is always an issue.

Comment

I am to afraid to go for the cheapest airlines because usually the ones with recent crashes are the ones that lowers their price. Security is my biggest concern because I will only live once. I don't want to lose my life on some plane crash. I want to die as a happy old man on my bed surrounded by people who genuinely loves me. I don't went to be a part of a body count.

Comment

I tend to stick with the same airlines. Ryanair or Jet2 for EU travel and would select British Airways or Virgin for worldwide. Whilst I admit that I have never paid any attention to safetly statistics in the past, you wouldn't get me on a Malaysia Airlines flight even if it was free.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
              I tend to stick with the same airlines. Ryanair or Jet2 for EU travel and would select British Airways or Virgin for worldwide. Whilst I admit that I have never paid any attention to safetly statistics in the past, you wouldn't get me on a Malaysia Airlines flight even if it was free.
              I understand how you feel about Malaysia airlines, 2 crashes in one year is just hard to trust. It is also very recent so the stigma is just hard to remove. We still don't have any updates on what happened to flight Mh370 aside from theories and conspiracy theories. I heard Qantas is one of the best because it never crashed. Hawaiian airlines also have great reputation, More than 80 years since its inception and it never crashed.
              Last edited by Billy; 06-23-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I wasn't sure this warranted its own thread but it was still interesting enough (perhaps infuriating is a better word) to me that it warranted posting and this thread topic fits the bill. Did anyone else hear/read/see the news today that U.S. airlines took in $1.6 billion in bag and reservation fees in the first three months of the year? That is a stunning number, up 7.4 per cent over the same period from last year. All those bag checking fees and overweight luggage fees really add up quickly. I am sure I am not alone in the frustration of being nickle and dimed by airlines.

Comment

I don't think it is necessary to check with the larger national carriers, they get a lot of press whenever there is a problem. I do however check some of the flightstat sites on specific flights, you sometimes see routes that are very frequently delayed and better to avoid.

For smaller carriers I would check, and budget airlines I try to completely avoid. They have to cut costs everywhere, including salaries, and that makes me a little uncomfortable with their ability to manage safety.
                  Billy and dillinger10 like this.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing those links!
                    I don't travel a lot in airplanes but when I do I try to do a deep research for picking the best airline that's possible. I'm really paranoic when it comes to airlines, but it depends on my financial situation too, there is times when I don't have a lot of money but I don't go for the cheapest option either, it's kind of scary to me.

Comment

I always do a thorough research before I embark on a plane, in order to find the best price:reputation ratio possible. I don't mind spending extra money if that means the flight is going to be more enjoyable and safer, even though accidents can happen to everyone.

Comment

I don't fly that often, but it hadn't really occurred to me to worry about that in the past. I suppose I ought to pay more attention, but I always feel quite safe in an airplane. I've flown a small one twice and it felt much safer to me than being in a car. Asbrown is right about budget airlines, though. Whenever I imagine people being afraid of flying, I think of the mechanical fears. I tend to forget how overworked pilots can be. That's the biggest danger. If the crew isn't 100%, they can't inspect the plane properly on the ground and they can't manage it properly in the air.

But I still prefer flying to driving, as far as safety goes.

Comment

I have used four airlines in the list of the 10 most dangerous airlines according to your article, and I am still here. In fact, I regularly use Avianca to fly around Colombia and other Latin American countries. In the past I have also been a passenger on Garuda, China and Cubana Airlines.
                          The only thing that I ever worry about when I have to catch a flight, is that I will be on time. Everything else is always just a possibility. Why should I torment my head with the endless possibilities of what might happen to me on my next flight?

Comment

No, I never tried to check the reputation of the airlines till now. I will be more concerned about the rates. I will also start calculating my future plans after landing, but never thought of it from this angle. But your post is just amazing. Now I realize that how important it is to check the airlines credibility before stepping in. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Working...
                            X