New Technology May End Drunk Driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Technology May End Drunk Driving

An estimate of 10,000 Americans die each year because of drunk driving, but a new technology that may be mandated in all future car designs may end that forever. This new technology places sensors in all vehicles that register blood alcohol levels before you can even turn on your vehicle. With this new technology it could save thousands of lives.

Originally posted by The Washington Post
    The new equipment won’t require a driver to blow into a tube, like the interlock devices some states require after drunken-driving convictions. Instead, either a passive set of breath sensors or touch-sensitive contact points on a starter button or gear shift would immediately register the level of alcohol in the bloodstream.
    A technological breakthrough that could virtually eliminate the drunken driving that kills 10,000 Americans each year was announced Thursday by federal officials, who said it could begin appearing in cars in five years.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

That is a noble innovation against drunk driving. But who is going to buy a car like that? Perhaps it would be effective if the government will require all cars to be equipped with such sensor. I am speaking with my tongue pointed towards my country with a culture that is dependent on improvisations and tweaking. Would you believe that Japanese-made taxi meters, reputedly tamper-proof, can be tampered just like that? There are taxicabs plying the Metro roads with tampered taxi meters made in Japan.

Comment

Wow..Technology sometimes transcends levels.
      passive set of breath sensors or touch-sensitive contact points on a starter button or gear shift would immediately register the level of alcohol in the bloodstream. Drivers who registered above the legal limit wouldn't be able to start the car.
      how quick will the response be,like if its a couple of seconds into the breath,then they can manually override the sensors,and start it up.I would say if they can punch in this as a miniature device,this could really be a brilliant notion to save more than millions.

Comment

I remember two years ago, someone invented a cellphone app that can detect alcohol levels. This one is much better because it is now part of the car. I love the fact that this invention can save a lot of lives. In my case though, I won't need this because I don't drink alcohol. I am living a straight edge lifestyle.

The only negative effect of this invention, We are going to see less of those funny looking celebrity DUI photos.

SashaS likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
          I remember two years ago, someone invented a cellphone app that can detect alcohol levels. This one is much better because it is now part of the car. I love the fact that this invention can save a lot of lives. In my case though, I won't need this because I don't drink alcohol. I am living a straight edge lifestyle.

The only negative effect of this invention, We are going to see less of those funny looking celebrity DUI photos.

Lol buddy,not as yet.They still need to put that up as a miniature device implanted inside the car.
          I too am a non-alcoholic,but ha this been implemented earlier,a friend of mine would have been saved
          He was a good buddy to us all,but was a hard drunkard.He died after veering off the car off a flyover.
          It was 3 years before.Sep 21 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
            That is a noble innovation against drunk driving. But who is going to buy a car like that? Perhaps it would be effective if the government will require all cars to be equipped with such sensor. I am speaking with my tongue pointed towards my country with a culture that is dependent on improvisations and tweaking. Would you believe that Japanese-made taxi meters, reputedly tamper-proof, can be tampered just like that? There are taxicabs plying the Metro roads with tampered taxi meters made in Japan.
            That's the thing, it would be mandatory that all vehicles possess this new technology. Over time probably think that the new vehicles will phase out the old.... like that would ever happen. Classic car sells have risen not fallen in the past decade.

Comment

Yes, this is something that we need in the present scenario. Deaths due to drunken driving on the rise in India too. Even though Government has taken various initiatives, they are not being accepted by public. Recently it was made a rule that a drunken driver should not be allowed to refill his vehicle at any fuel stations. But there is nobody to supervise these things and check whether these rules are being adhered to or not. Without the cooperation of public nothing can happen in this area.

Comment

I know how that is talk2me, in the US when a customer comes in visibly drunk - stores are not suppose to sell them alcohol but they do it anyway. It is all good and gravy that they make all these rules but if no one is enforcing them, what good are they? I think that when a person goes to a bar they are to leave their keys with the bar tenders and not allowed to drive home even if they only had one beer. That could help cut down on some of it. Then stricter consequences if you are caught drinking or have alcohol in the vehicle. The alcohol should be in the trunk not in the vehicle itself and the driver should not be allowed to drive even with a single beer in them.

Comment

The technology may help in reducing the number of deaths that result from driving under influence of alcohol. Most accidents have been recorded during festive seasons when most people take alcohol. Driving under influence of alcohol is very dangerous but many drivers don't take that into consideration. They are not the only ones who will get injured or killed by any road user may also be affected.
                  Last edited by Help212; 02-11-2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

My mother had one of those ignition interlock devices installed in her car because of a DUI (she had a lot of problems with the booze back then, since then it's been a lot better) so I have first hand knowledge of how terrible they are.
                    I say terrible because despite the high price tag and the monthly fee for calibration and maintenance, I NEVER once got it to go on the first try. Without having a drink I would always fail the first few blows. It was a huge pain it didn't work properly 75% of the time. It got to the point I would get into the car ten mins earlier then I would normally just to make sure I could get it started. Then there was the huge book on all the things you could not eat., drink or take because it would register false positives.
                    I whole heartily agree we need to do everything in our power to end drunk driving. I think this invention is a great idea.
                    I just wanted to share one aspect that might make it really hard to implement, which is getting accurate readings is very hard.

Comment

While I'm not sure if this kind of technology would work, it's certainly something to think about and consider because no matter what measures the authorities have brought in up to now, nothing seems to be stopping people from getting behind the wheel of a vehicle under the influence of either drink or drugs.

How many years have we been bombarded with information, been told we're putting not only our own lives, but the lives of others in danger. We've seen the fines and driving bans increase, punishment including prison terms come into force but still it's not making any difference, so maybe devices like this will?

We can live in hope that someday people will be more responsible for their own actions, but until then, maybe we do need to rely on technology to stop us doing things we know are wrong, but carry on doing anyway.

Comment

I can see this never happening because alcohol is the rich man's drug. I work at a country club and that would pretty much end the business. We would see a big change in the market, probably mostly negative. If we want to save lives we should do it willingly and not be forced into technological cages.

Comment

It's a smart strategy but there will always be a way around it. Even if the governments implement laws to prevent it, people will go to illegal measures to make sure they can keep drinking but still drive around. There will be modifications and all sorts of ways around it because that's human nature.

Besides, even if this is only implemented 10 years from now, people will still be driving cars manufactured before this system is implemented, so not every driver will use them for a long time. If this becomes effective, many people will lose jobs and the alcohol industry will decline, which is something governments don't want happening because they get the income TAX on alcohol. So this strategy most likely won't happen in a legal way.

Some cars will probably have it and others not. I can see parents buying cars that have this technology for their children but I don't see adults who drink alcohol ever buying them. I don't see people relying on technology to kick their addictions or habits any time soon because they'll end up scrapping that technology and carrying on with their addictions because it's in their power to do so.

Comment

Working...
                          X