Asia's tortured domestic workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asia's tortured domestic workers

Indonesian domestic workers describe their tragic situation of abuse by their employers. This is a really sad situation that's not only happening in Asia, it happens all over the world and it needs to stop, nobody should be treated like this.

Full article:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/27/as...ids/index.html

Without clicking the link I will try to guess the countries that abuses their foreign maids. Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong,Singapore and Jordan.

After clicking the link I think I got 2 of the countries right. The reason of the many cases of maid abuse in Saudi is that many of them looks down on a woman who is alone and doesn't have guardianship of her male family members. Usually maids on Saudi works on her own and because she is away from her family, they see that as something against their values. There are good employers in Saudi who treats maids like family members but there are many unlucky ones who got abused by their Madame's because they got threatened that their husband will like the maid. There are also cases where they look down on their maid because she doesn't west a hijab.

There are good employers in Hong Kong but most maid abuse cases there happened because of Superiority complex and stress. Most Hong Kong citizens works in a stressful office with their boss being verbally abusive to them and all that frustration they got at work gets diverted to their maid if she didn't do well on her job. They abuse their maid to feel superior because their boss stresses them out.
    Last edited by Billy; 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

It is very sad that these types of things happen in the world. The abuse of domestic workers is a common occurrence that many are not aware of. People believe that domestic workers are the bottom of the heap and should be treated as such. The cease to see them as people and abuse them extensively.
      Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
      Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
        There are good employers in Hong Kong but most maid abuse cases there happened because of Superiority complex and stress. Most Hong Kong citizens works in a stressful office with their boss being verbally abusive to them and all that frustration they got at work gets diverted to their maid if she didn't do well on her job. They abuse their made to feel superior because their boss stresses them out.
        It's like a chain of abuse isn't it? In the meantime, the poor maid, who bears the brunt of both her boss and their bosses bad moods, has no choice but to suck it up. Here is a little more reading on the subject. It makes for unconfortable reading.

http://www.ilo.org/asia/info/public/...--en/index.htm

Comment

The abusers are usually the female employers, so the only solution I can think of is for countries to stop sending maids. They should send a male housekeeper instead. Those Madams may hesitate to be abusive if its a man who cleans her house and cook dishes. I am not kidding, Male housekeepers exists in Europe and the US. Men can be domestic too.I think female employers will be afraid to be abusive if her employee is a man. The biggest abuse she can do is verbal.

Another solution I can think of is to train the maid before sending her to the country. Train her how to deal with the cultural difference and also all the domestic skills she needed so employers will always be satisfied.
          Last edited by Billy; 07-29-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Foreign maid workers are not the only ones abused. In many Muslim nations, Christian women have to work for Muslim families because they can't find any other work. Be they are Christians, they can't stand up for their rights because the police will not believe them if they report the abuse. Some women have even been jailed on false accusations of theft, without any evidence, simply on the word of a displeased employer.

Comment

AS little as $9 a month ?? or nothing at all ??
              In India too we treat them badly as well.My neighborhood lady pays the wages,but she tortures her like as if she was her real slave.We tried to advise her,but she yelled at her to mind our own business as well.

Comment

Unfortunately it would appear that there are major problems with the labor laws in Indonesia. We have seen a number of horrifying incidents in recent months involving factory workers in Indonesia. They are forced to work in unsafe conditions, for hours without breaks and in many cases, less than the minimum wage, which currently stands at 44 cents an hour.

It is a maddening state of affairs. No one should be forced to endure abuse, while working in unsafe conditions for less than the legally required wage, and yet it happens all the time.

Comment

Here in Colombia people are slaves to the companies that they work for. Often they work more than 10 hours per day, including Saturday and Sunday. And at the end of the month they have to chase their payments. I have a friend who is a doctor. She works tirelessly at the emergency ward of a local hospital, and often won't get paid for an entire month. This situation has left her in a compromised position, as she can't pay her rent on time and occasionally runs out of food...
                  I don't even want to think about what is going on in domestic situations here.

Comment

Right now the most abused maids in Hong Kong and Singapore are the Indonesian maids. A lot of them don't have day offs and they were at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to payment. The Filipino maids use to suffer a lot of abuse from those countries but there is now a decrease of abuse and the maids from the Philippines are now one of the highest paid. There are still some incidents of abuse but not as worst as Indonesian maids were having. Indonesian government should do something for the welfare of their overseas workers.

I think the best way to stop maid abuse is to first train them how to do household chores the way those countries wanted. How Americans cleans their houses is different from how Croatians clean their houses. Foreign maids should be trained how to do household chores on the country where she will work. Let the maid learn about the cultural difference of the country where she will work so she can avoid doing offending her employers. Its easy to assimilate on s foreign country if you know their culture and customs.

Learn their language, you don't have to be super fluent on their language but you have to make sure you will understand each other. Last but not the least, agencies should also brief about how they should treat their maids. Also if they don't like the services of their maid, help that maid find a new employer and hire a different maid.

Comment

I do believe that there is no genuine fraternity unless there is a sincere recognition of equality of personalities. What usually happens in most Asian countries in regard to domestic workers is really shocking. Saudi Arabia has the leading reported cases of torture. But why does this happen? Is it because they see themselves as being rich or they hate living with people from other religions.

Comment

Yes, torturing of domestic workers is everywhere and it saddens me how human beings could treat their fellow humans like that. Just because they have temporary wealth and power, that does not mean they have the right to abuse "inferior" people like that. It not like they'll stay rich and/or influential forever. I can name places where much of these torture occur: Hong Kong, Middle East and Singapore. However, not all the people in those countries act in a similar fashion. There is still a number of good men left.

Comment

People especially Asians go abroad to earn money to support their family. They work in other foreign countries and do their best to make their employers happy, but some employers really are merciless. They never thought how hard is it for those people who chooses to work far from their family and lived ones. Employers should learn to respect their employees.

Comment

Working...
                          X