Mom saves son before dying in escalator accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom saves son before dying in escalator accident

"A 30-year-old mother saves her son but falls to her death when an escalator panel gives way
    It is the latest in a series of accidents involving escalators in China
    Victim's family goes online to vent anger over the mall's handling of the tragedy. The accident was recorded by a security camera, this video begins
    as the escalator in a shopping mall almost reaches the top, a woman in a white shirt and black skirt lifts up her young son to get ready to step off. But as she does, a metal panel collapses under her feet. She falls into the gap.
    Struggling with only her upper body above the metal structure, Xiang is seen pushing her son forward. The boy is quickly pulled to safety by a mall employee standing near the top of the escalator."
    It seems like the employees knew that there was something wrong with the escalator because they were standing on the top of them, the mall's managers hadn't said anything yet about this terrible accident.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/27/ch...ator/index.htm

I want to blame the mall for this tragedy but part of me wanted to blame the manufacturer of the escalator. Why should I blame the mall, they we're the one who is responsible for the maintenance of that escalator. The safety of their customers should be a priority. They should not have a small budget for escalators and elevators because the lives of customers were at stake. Why should we blame the manufacturer? If the escalators they make were of high quality, accidents like this won't happen.

Comment

OMG did u see that video..
      God it really did swallow.She just threw her son onto the other side.Why isn't there a automatic mechanism to stop the elevator when something on the track mal functions.At least the lady would have still been alive with minor injuries.God..i couldn't have even imagined this in my wildest of dreams,

Comment

The link isn't working for me when I click on it. It says "there's no page here" so I can't view it. That sounds absolutely terrible though!!! I was always afraid of escalators when I was a kid . . . and I still don't like them all that much. I prefer to just walk where I'm going!

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
          OMG did u see that video..
          God it really did swallow.She just threw her son onto the other side.Why isn't there a automatic mechanism to stop the elevator when something on the track mal functions.At least the lady would have still been alive with minor injuries.God..i couldn't have even imagined this in my wildest of dreams,
          I know! Most of the escalators that I have seen seemed to have an 'off' button on them, they use this button when they are closing the mall for turn turning the escalators off... But I guess that in China the escalators works differently.

Comment

Originally posted by anorexorcist View Post

I know! Most of the escalators that I have seen seemed to have an 'off' button on them, they use this button when they are closing the mall for turn turning the escalators off... But I guess that in China the escalators works differently.
            Moreover there were 2 attendants on the other side of elevator to check if something bad may happen.They might have known.ANy clues to why it just "swallowed uP " as in a vicious track ??
            Mall employees found the collapsed panel to be loose and protruding five minutes before the incident but failed to stop the escalator for inspection and repair..Now that's an act of ignorance.
            anorexorcist likes this.

Comment

What a tragedy. I can't imagine how traumatic this would have been for the woman and her son. And now her son will forever have that image of his mother disappearing in gap in his mind. The really worrying thing is that it's apparently a "series" of escalator accidents. And why did the employees keep quite about something that important? Were they afraid of losing their jobs? Well, now they have lost much more... - their peace of mind.

Comment

This is news that really puts in a "what the hell" mood. The courage of this mom is really uncountable but after saying this sentence you immediatly recognise that despite her outstanding action, God decided to take her with him. It's really really sad to hear such news but I emphtaze a bit with the son.. when he will grow up he can definetly say that he had one of the most couragious mom in the world.

Comment

I was unable to view the page. People used to laugh at me because I am not too fond of escalators. It is stuff like this that proves my belief that they are not all that safe to use. I don't even like elevators that much but I would rather take an elevator then an escalator.
                  Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
                  Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

This video made me cry. I can totally relate as I am a mother myself.
                    This accident is something that can be prevented. I'm so sad for the son because
                    he saw how his mother died.

Comment

Originally posted by zclipse View Post
                      The link isn't working for me when I click on it. It says "there's no page here" so I can't view it. That sounds absolutely terrible though!!! I was always afraid of escalators when I was a kid . . . and I still don't like them all that much. I prefer to just walk where I'm going!
                      I am also not able to open the link. It gives some error message.

But I can feel it through the words of other members here. This was really unfortunate that the mother died after saving her son. That is the power of being a mother. May the departed soul rest in peace.

I think the mall authorities needs to be punished for this so that it can be a lesson for others.

I think this is the video we are referring to

Comment

The mall should be sued for this. They should be thinking about the safety of their shoppers. This incident is very rare. When they knew someting was wrong with the escalator, they should have stopped making it work.

Comment

On the other hand, I am very proud of the mother. Mother's always take care of their children and would never let them suffer. The boy must have been very proud of his mom.

Comment

Working...
                          X