Highschool Girl Dies Saving Friends Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highschool Girl Dies Saving Friends Life

It was sad enough to read about this girl losing her life to save her friend, but the other information was even more heart touching.

17 year old Rebecca Townsend bravely shoved her friend out of the way of a approaching car, but did not get out of the way herself. As a result the car struck her killing her. Shortly after her death, her sisters came across a letter that she had written to her future self... a bucket list with only three goals listed. To kiss in the rain, to fly to spain, and to save a life. She completed her last goal though it cost her her life.
    A Connecticut teen preparing to attend college at Notre Dame in the fall was struck and killed by a car this month as she saved her friend’s life, tragically completing a “bucket list” she’d written for a high school assignment. Rebecca Townsend, 17, wrote a letter to her future self in December 2012 as an assignment at Immaculate High School in Danbury, Conn. Her sisters found the piece of paper, including her three item bucket list, on her bed shortly after she died. “Kiss in the rain,” she wrote. “Fly to Spain. Save a life (not really scary though).” The gifted teen had completed the first two, with a trip to Spain with her parents and after sharing a rainy kiss with her boyfriend, Niko. The third was her final act in life. Rebecca shoved 17-year-old Benjamin Arne out of the way as a car barreled towards them around 9 p.m. July 2 in Danbury. The friends had just watched a local fireworks show. Ben survived and was hospitalized immediately afterwards in serious, but stable, condition, authorities told the Danbury News-Times. He visited Rebecca’s grief-stricken family after he was released from the hospital, the girl’s sister, Victoria, told Buzzfeed. “He said, ‘The last thing I remember is Rebecca pushing me and telling me to hurry up,’” Victoria told the site. Another sister, Monica Townsend, read about the bucket list as she eulogized her youngest sister, the family’s “bonus baby,” on July 7. “Who knows why Rebecca was looking at that letter the night she left us … but I think it’s her little way of telling us she is OK; she accomplished what she needed to; she made it.” The teen excelled in high school, starting a local chapter of a charity called She’s the First, which sponsors education for girls in third world countries to help them become the first in their families to graduate from secondary school, according to the News-Times. Rebecca was set to attend the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., this fall. “She was a wonderful, wonderful person,” Immaculate High School principal Joe Carmen told the newspaper. The teen’s inspiring story has gone viral, starting a #RememberingRebecca hashtag that has spread across the world. Some 15,000 people have liked an associated Facebook page, while nearly 1,800 people have begun following a similar Instagram account filled with photos of the smiling girl. Several have posted photos of themselves paying for someone else’s Starbucks or a yoga class in Rebecca’s honor. The Notre Dame class of 2019 also started a Go Fund Me page to create wristbands in her memory and to donate money to the She’s the First nonprofit. The bereaved family declined an interview with the Daily News on Monday as they confront with the heartbreaking tragedy. “We miss her a lot,” her devastated sister Victoria told the News. “We’re really happy she’s inspiring people, but it’s really hard seeing her face everywhere. We just want her back.” ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH THE VIDEO HERE. sgoldstein@nydailynews.com
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

When anyone dies, it's obviously horrible, but when someone like her who seemed like a genuinely good soul passes away, it's just not right.May all who read of Rebecca be inspired and demonstrate compassion and care for others in which ever manner they are best able to.A true inspiration for all.

Comment

Wow! This story kinda makes my heart ache. Rebecca had very simple things in her bucket list and it's so touching how she has included saving a life as one of her list. She is indeed okay now and in a far better place than where we are right now as she completed her list. It's just so sad that she had to go so early while she was at the most promising time in her life. May she rest in peace.

Comment

May you rest in peace Rebecca. You are such a brave woman, saving another person's life. And having that as a checklist in your bucketlist, it only proves how pure and innocent your heart is. Your family may have lost you physically, but your spirit will remain with them. I am sure they are proud of you for what you have done.

Comment

It is always sad to see someone so young die. Death should be for the old not the young. However it does happen, it is good that she got to fulfill a bucket list item as she went though. Most don't even get to start theirs before it is over for them.

Comment

This story really breaks of heart. Such a beautiful, young lady taken far too song. Her friend that she saved must be devastated. That is something she will play over in her head for the rest of her life. She could have been the one who died but her friend gave her life for hers. I tear up just reading the article. It just doesn't seem fair. RIP Rebecca.

Comment

She passed onto the other side as a heroine, and she will never be forgotten. What a brave girl to step in and save her friend from getting hit by a car. I wonder why she didn't move out of the way herself, but then she's the only person who will ever know the answer to that question.
              I can imagine that her spirit will continue to live on through her friends and family, and everyone who knew her.
              May she rest in peace.

Comment

I heard about this on the radio. So sad. I hope her family receives all the love and support they need to get through this tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  She passed onto the other side as a heroine, and she will never be forgotten. What a brave girl to step in and save her friend from getting hit by a car. I wonder why she didn't move out of the way herself, but then she's the only person who will ever know the answer to that question.
                  I can imagine that her spirit will continue to live on through her friends and family, and everyone who knew her.
                  May she rest in peace.
                  Most likely by the time she pushed her friend out of the way, there was not enough time for her to get out of the way also. Even 1 second can make all the difference. That 1 second she took to push her friend out of the way may have been all the time she had and so she was unable to move herself.

Comment

She should be declared as one hero! Such a heroic act of such a young girl. The girls is brave enough. I even shed a tear right now. May she rest in peace in the loving arms of our Creator.

Comment

This is a really heartbreaking history, she was so young! But at least her death has a meaning, one of her wishes came true... but she had to pay a really high price, and that's heroic. Stories like this make me thing if I would do the same thing for someone else, is not something that everyone is willing to do, and that's what makes her a hero.

Comment

This is truly a heartbreaking story, but Im pretty sure Rebecca died happy because she died to save her precious friend. I know she won't regret what she did because in the face of tragedy, friendship is everything.

Comment

Even though the original post is a few months old now, this type of story seems to be happening more and more, and while the loss of life is obviously a tragedy, at least one person was saved because of that.

That might at least hold a small crumb of comfort to the family of the girl who passed away, knowing that her actions saved the life of another.

Comment

What a heartbreaking story, I hope that the girl who's life was saved makes the most of her life and does good things. I'm sure many people can draw inspiration from this incident and realize that your life is no more important that of your neighbours and that we are all on the same level. My condolences go out towards the family of the girl and I hope they find peace.

Comment

What a good girls she was. I definitely feel heartbroken for her.

Comment

Working...
                              X