516 people injured in explosion at a water park in Taiwan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 516 people injured in explosion at a water park in Taiwan

I wasn't quite sure what section of the forum to post this news to but given the number of people injured and the horrifying nature of the incident, I do think this is worthy of discussion.

Last night, 516 people were injured after flammable powder apparently exploded in midair at a water park in Taiwan. Of the 410 that have been hospitalized, 183 are in intensive care units with 8 believed to be in critical condition.

Video footage appears to show a massive fireball erupting when the unknown substance was sprayed over a stage, leaving hundreds of people running for their lives. Many people have been badly burned by the fire, including one 18-year-old that has suffered burns to 80 percent of her body.

As a result of this horrifying incident, the park has been shut down and authorities have banned the further use of the powder until an investigation is completed. Furthermore, five people including the event manager have been detained by police. They are currently being questioned by prosecutors on charges of offences against public safety and negligence.

More on this story can be read here, here, here and here.
    Last edited by dillinger10; 06-28-2015, 01:43 AM.
    Tumbleweed likes this.

At first glance, it is the work of a terrorist. But by golly, I cannot imagine that many people to die in that explosion. Like what I posted in another thread, this is surreal to me. When I had my recent party, I only had less than 100 guests. That more than 500 people who died in that explosion can fill an entire ballroom of a hotel. Tsk, tsk, too many lives lost just like that. It is a crazy world we are in.

Comment

From what I have read, this was not terrorist connected at all, just a very tragic accident.
      The video that I watched said that it was a mixture of the chemicals used for making the artificial smoke, bubbles for the Raver Bubble machine, and rainbow powder to color it.
      They also were setting off some kind of a pyrotechnics (fireworks) display, which ignited the aerosol/gasses used for the smoke and bubble machines, and then it just spread over the whole area , burning everyone.
      Even worse, the smoke machines came back on again while people were trying to escape, making the blaze even worse.

http://youtu.be/Fy2ME7lavRU
      Last edited by Tumbleweed; 06-29-2015, 08:42 AM.
      dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
        At first glance, it is the work of a terrorist. But by golly, I cannot imagine that many people to die in that explosion. Like what I posted in another thread, this is surreal to me. When I had my recent party, I only had less than 100 guests. That more than 500 people who died in that explosion can fill an entire ballroom of a hotel. Tsk, tsk, too many lives lost just like that. It is a crazy world we are in.
        Alexandoy Firstly, if you had bother to read any of the four articles that I posted that covered this explosion in great detail you would know that this is not connected to terrorism.

Secondly, again, if you had read any of the articles I linked to or even my own post you would know that, as of this writing, no one has died. More than 500 people have been injured and 8 remain in critical condition but no one has died. Again, just to reiterate, no one has died and certainly not more than 500 people that you incorrectly state.

Do you ever bother to read anything that anyone posts? It really is getting beyond frustrating to read your nonsense that has no relation to the topic at hand. But given that you don't bother to read anything that anyone else posts, I know full well you won't read this message either.
        Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

The BBC provided an update tonight reporting that 202 people remain hospitalized in serious condition.

The report also speculates that the powder (which is made of dried corn and can potentially be highly flammable) may have ignited due to the heat from the lights on the stage, or possibly from sparks from machinery.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
            From what I have read, this was not terrorist connected at all, just a very tragic accident.
            The video that I watched said that it was a mixture of the chemicals used for making the artificial smoke, bubbles for the Raver Bobble maching, and rainbow powder to color it.
            They also were setting off some kind of a pyrotechnics (fireworks) display, which ignited the aerosol/gasses used for the smoke and bubble machines, and then it just spread over the whole area , burning everyone.
            Even worse, the smoke machines came back on again while people were trying to escape, making the blaze even worse.

http://youtu.be/Fy2ME7lavRU
            So what you mean to say is an accident was what caused those deaths? Wow, that's really a huge accident. My question now is this - who is going to take responsibility for that? And I'm sure investigations would yield a factor of negligence although they might just indicate human error like their usual scapegoats for a plane crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post

So what you mean to say is an accident was what caused those deaths? Wow, that's really a huge accident. My question now is this - who is going to take responsibility for that? And I'm sure investigations would yield a factor of negligence although they might just indicate human error like their usual scapegoats for a plane crash.
              Once again, you conveniently ignore anything else that is written in this thread or any other. Though myself and others are no longer surprised by this. As to your question, this has already been answered in my initial post in this thread (which you clearly did not read), in which I stated the following:

Furthermore, five people including the event manager have been detained by police. They are currently being questioned by prosecutors on charges of offenses against public safety and negligence.
              My third post in this thread also provides more information behind the contributing factors in the accident. May I suggest you take the time to read through this thread and all of the articles posted, you will find all of the answers to your questions.
              Last edited by dillinger10; 06-29-2015, 02:00 AM.
              fcphdJim and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

Sadly, it is being reported that one of the women that suffered 90 percent burns to her body has died. I can't even begin to imagine the distraught and heartbreak her family must be feeling which is compounded by the fact that her younger brother, aged 12, also sustained burns to 90 percent of his body also.

The organizer of the party has taken full responsibility for the explosion. He is currently free on bail though there seems a strong case that he will face criminal charges.

This NPR article provides new information regarding the cause of the incident with investigators focusing on the possibility that a cigarette butt or a spark caused the fire.

Comment

This CNN article provides more details behind the incident. Currently, 393 people still remain hospitalized with 221 in intensive care units.

Plastic surgeons have been working around the clock to remove severely damaged skin from victims while skin grafts are being reallocated from skin banks at hospitals around Taiwan. Complicating matters is a lack of space in specialized burn units.

This Vice News report claims that organizers of the party were previously made aware of the fact that the product was flammable especially if used in closed spaces or under high temperatures.

Comment

That's really sad, I'm really sorry for that happening and I hope that people get comforted through this traumatic experience. There should be more cautiousness in terms of these electrical matters and explosions and all. They should be more prepared.

Comment

More news continues to come out tonight regarding the incident. Channel News Asia reports that a second person has died after suffering 99 percent burns from the fire. Investigations have also revealed that the area in front of the stage was only legally able to accommodate 600 people but more than a thousand spectators were present when the fireball erupted. The fact that there was only one single evacuation route through a single gantry at the venue made escaping almost impossible.

As to the fire itself, this story published by Asia One reveals that there were in fact two explosions that took place within minutes of each other. By the time the first explosion's flames had died down , a special effects employee on the stage took a CO2 cylinder and sprayed it onto the fire in an attempt to extinguish the remaining cinders. Instead of having the desired effect, it inadvertently fanned the flames by kicking up thick dust from the ground which then lead to the second explosion. Due to the overcrowding, people were trapped in front of the stage and left with no where to go.

Comment

It's been a while since there has been any news regarding this horrible incident but the AFP did provide a few updates today.

The story of the 18-year-old girl that suffered burns to more than 70 percent of her body is heartbreaking to read. Doctors say that she still requires up to five more surgeries to remove damaged skin. Another man, who suffered 95 percent burns, was left with no other option but to have his leg amputated this week.

A total of six people have now died from their injuries with many others still clinging on to life. 386 people remain in local hospitals, of those, 198 are in critical condition - 20 of whom have more than 80 percent burns.

There has been no new updates regarding the cause of the fire and the investigation is still ongoing.

Comment

Working...
                        X