Alcohol poisoning in Mumbai kills 90

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol poisoning in Mumbai kills 90

A total of 90 people have died after they consumed toxic homemade moonshine. More than 40 other people are also being treated in hospital and there are concerns that the death toll could eventually reach triple figures.

Authorities have arrested a total of five people have for selling and distributing the contaminated alcohol while eight police officers have also been suspended for negligence by allowing the sale of the alcohol to take place.

More can be read here.

I have heard incident about a home made liquor that makes people blind with one drinking but this one is more extreme. People died just from consuming this. I believe a person must have some sort of permit before they were allowed to make and sell alcohol so things like this won't be happening ever again. I have nothing against independent liquor makersut their products must undergo some inspection before they were allowed to he sold for human consumption.

Comment

Well, bootlegging has its ills and since a long time ago, so many incidents of deaths have been recorded on imbibing bootlegged alcohol. If the bootlegger is a professional perhaps that accident could be avoided. A professional means he knows the proper procedure in the fermentation of the alcoholic drink. Our neighbor who is a chemist made an alocholic drink from pineapple. He said that fermentation has proper procedure and a mistake can be deadly to the drinkers.

Comment

According to ITV News, more people died from the poisoning last night raising the death toll to 94.

The article mentions that these types of deaths are quite common in India because the poor cannot afford to buy licensed alcohol and this type of illicit alcohol can be purchased for less than a dollar for a 25cl bottle, although the problem with this is that this type of illegal alcohol is often spiked with chemicals such as pesticides to increase its potency.

Comment

If the guys who made it haven't dropped dead, then they knew it was bad. Moonshiners drink their brew. If all of them don't, there's always at least one in the group who was

Comment

Originally posted by LilAnn View Post
            If the guys who made it haven't dropped dead, then they knew it was bad. Moonshiners drink their brew. If all of them don't, there's always at least one in the group who was
            I think it is a different situation in India. From everything that I have read, these moonshiners purposefully spike their home made brews with methyl alcohol and industrial spirits.

These bootleggers are not producing the alcohol for their own consumption, simply to turn a profit. They work in hidden warehouses and even in forests, and can turn one liter of genuine alcohol into 1,000 liters of bootlegged moonshine - often called Desi Daroo - with chemicals and additives.

Illicit liquor is a hugely profitable industry across India, where bootleggers pay no taxes and sell enormous quantities of their product. For them, it is easy money and big profits.

Comment

The BBC reports that the death toll now stands at 102 people. It was also reported tonight that seven people including two women have been arrested for their involvement in brewing the illegal alcohol although police have been unable to locate the outlets that sold the alcohol.

Many of the locals have told officials that the alcohol was bought from unlicensed sellers who lived in the area, and it was sold in plastic bottles for as little as 16 cents for 50ml.

Comment

@dillinger10
                Your posts are always so informative. You're really good at what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

I think it is a different situation in India. From everything that I have read, these moonshiners purposefully spike their home made brews with methyl alcohol and industrial spirits.

These bootleggers are not producing the alcohol for their own consumption, simply to turn a profit. They work in hidden warehouses and even in forests, and can turn one liter of genuine alcohol into 1,000 liters of bootlegged moonshine - often called Desi Daroo - with chemicals and additives.

Illicit liquor is a hugely profitable industry across India, where bootleggers pay no taxes and sell enormous quantities of their product. For them, it is easy money and big profits.

Bootleggers often sneek through law enforcing authorities to sell huge quantities of adulterated liquor. Yes, I'm aware of the hooch in Mumbai, India and it was a colossal tragedy Problem is, you often can't figure out original liquor from spurious liquor. Retailers too get their cut out of it and hence they become a party to it. It's so unfortunate that human greed knows no bounds. All those police personnel need to be punished severely.

Comment

This is definitely not the first time I have heard of people dying from drinking moonshine. This is just another reason why people shouldn't brew illegal alcohol. I won't even make beer, even though it is legal to do so in the USA. I have made wine a few times, which was safe, but not very tasty. Have any of you made alcohol? Did you feel it was safe to drink?

Comment

It is heard that they even add substance like crushed battery to give more power to alcohol. It is just like bottled poison. But what makes me quite uncomfortable is that fact that people are already aware of such things and I wonder how they become prey to such foolishness in life. Nowadays the number of drug users are also on the rise in India. Even school and college children are high users of drugs. Children are the future of any nation and if they are no more, the nation has no future at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X