No announcement yet.

Student found dead after disappearing while trying to sell car on Craigslist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist has become so convienant that its easy to get caught up in the " it won't happen to me" mentality. I've known people who have sold everything from cars to guns to their bodies on there. Never once was someone apprehensive about meeting a total stranger to do business.

Comment

Originally posted by LilAnn View Post
      Craigslist has become so convienant that its easy to get caught up in the " it won't happen to me" mentality. I've known people who have sold everything from cars to guns to their bodies on there. Never once was someone apprehensive about meeting a total stranger to do business.
      Unfortunately, common sense is not so common these days and seems to be a thing of the past. What's that you say? You want me to meet you in a dark alley at midnight? Alone, you say, with a pocketful of cash? Sure, thing, what can possibly go wrong?

Part of the problem with making things more convenient is that people act before thinking.

Comment

I remember there is a similar incident, There is a woman who decided to sell her car to Craigslist to financially help her pregnancy. She met up with a buyer who is another woman. That woman killed her and cut her stomach open. That woman killed her to steal her baby. This woman seemed to be desperate to become a mother so she killed the pregnant women and stole the baby,.

Comment

I think I remember hearing that story too, only I did not know about Craigslist. That was a ghastly story. The women returned to the hospital claiming she gave birth and that is how they discovered the whole thing, right? Or was that another story.
          Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
          Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

I refuse to use Craigslist for this reason. I use facebook groups that are for local buy/sell/trade. I check mutual friends, their profile and all that to determine if they are "shady" or not before doing any interactions.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
              A note of precaution to all who wish to deal online;
              1.Never agree to meet the person in a desolated area,without any human movement.A lot can happen,and you will have to be searched all across.
              2.Take your friends along,if possible because you can feel a lot secure.
              3.Ensure there is a police station nearby,in the vicinity,just in case.
              I agree with bala. The internet is a world of different people with different personalities. If you are selling something on the internet, whether through Craiglist or any other company, it's very important to have your own precautionary measures because you don't know the people you are dealing with. Many crimes are now connected with the internet so our only consolation is to be very careful with who we are transacting with. Be wary at all times.

Comment

Excellent advice bala though I prefer to keep interact strictly online and avoid physical interaction as a precaution. If I am selling something I try to sell things I can mail out and not have to physically get involved with the person. It is just safer that way.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post

I agree with bala. The internet is a world of different people with different personalities. If you are selling something on the internet, whether through Craiglist or any other company, it's very important to have your own precautionary measures because you don't know the people you are dealing with. Many crimes are now connected with the internet so our only consolation is to be very careful with who we are transacting with. Be wary at all times.
                  Exactly.Moreover i would advice ladies to carry peppermints or a Swiss knife,just in case,because their safety at stake,always.
                  For men,they too shd be carrying requisites such as this,or better learn some marital arts for defense when someone tries to cheat/Steal from you.

Just a thought

Comment

bala, peppermints?? Why would they need to carry peppermints for their safety?

Comment

I think that its time for craigslist to be shut down completely. This website is extremely general in such it offers everything we can imagine. It has job listings as well as people selling furniture. To be honest, after the first scandals started with craigslist, many people already have a bad stigma in their mind about it, so why not just shut it down completely?

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
                        bala, peppermints?? Why would they need to carry peppermints for their safety?
                        I would imagine bala was referring to Pepper Spray as opposed to peppermints - which would certainly make a lot more sense. Unless, of course, peppermints carry some form magical power that I am unaware of
                        fcphdJim and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post
                          I think that its time for craigslist to be shut down completely. This website is extremely general in such it offers everything we can imagine. It has job listings as well as people selling furniture. To be honest, after the first scandals started with craigslist, many people already have a bad stigma in their mind about it, so why not just shut it down completely?
                          The simple and crude answer is likely the fact that it makes a ton of money ($336 million in revenue last year) and has more users than ever. Earlier this year, Forbes took an inside look into what makes Craigslist so successful and why the service continues to grow:

First of all, you don’t need to relearn it every three months. Unlike Facebook, or other fast moving web properties – Craigslist sticks to its knitting. It wants to be a simple, straightforward way for people to connect.

Secondly, while there are some stories of Craigslist dramas, you don’t have to be that careful or wary in order to stay safe. Again, like any large group of people there are things to be concerned about. For me, Craigslist is all about local face to face transactions. I don’t take Paypal, I don’t ship things, and I always meet folks in public places. To me, this is common sense.

But what I love about Craigslist is that it feels like it’s both sensible, and good for the environment. If I have a piece of electronics that I’m not using, I want it to be in the hands of someone who won’t let it go to waste. Sure, I’d like to get some money that I invested in the hardware. It’s not a donation, but I’m also not out looking to use Craigslist as a economic boondoggle. It’s more like a swap-meet among neighbors.
                          The rest of article makes for a worthwhile read if you have a spare 5 minutes.

Additionally, the AIM Group recently published a report on the 20th anniversary of Craigslist which does a good job of highlighting their increase in revenue while also outlining some of the problems that have been discussed in this thread. The report says that Craigslist will generate approximately $381 million in revenue this year and more than $300 million in profits. So while there are definitely real problems in using Craigslist (at least 84 killings have been linked to Craigslist transactions) a lot of people still feel comfortable using this service.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

I would imagine bala was referring to Pepper Spray as opposed to peppermints - which would certainly make a lot more sense. Unless, of course, peppermints carry some form magical power that I am unaware of
                            LOL I was assuming the same thing but when I try not to assume things because assumption is the mother of all screw ups.... so I decided to confirm before voicing any assumptions.

Craigslist was a one of a kind when it first came out and gave people a free service to promote and sell on. So naturally it developed a large following, enough so that even with the problems.... it does not lose business.

Comment

You hear about this happening far too often lately. It is very scary. There is some great advice on here. One can never be too careful when meeting up with a stranger. You just never know. I would much rather be suffer then sorry. It happened to a friend's daughter a few months back. She met up with these people to buy a TV. When she pulled into the yard she was met by 3 guys with baseball bats. She locked the doors and tried to pull away. They started banging on her car trying to break the windows. Luckily she was able to escapewithout injury but it could have been so much worse had she actually got out of the car and went into the house.

Comment

Wow, thank goodness she was ok. As long as I live I will never understand why people do these kinds of things. It just makes no sense to me. That is why I avoid places like Craigslist... too risky.

Comment

Working...
                                X