No announcement yet.

Student found dead after disappearing while trying to sell car on Craigslist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student found dead after disappearing while trying to sell car on Craigslist

One of the many reasons I never use Craigslist is stories such as this about the popular advertising site. 19 year old Taylor Clark was not so lucky. Clark of Missouri Illinosis was found dead in a shallow grave 400 yards from his 2007 Nissan 350ZX. Stories such as these have been popping up a lot of late, horrid tales of murder and mayhem occuring from an ad placed on the well known online classified ad's site... perhaps it is safer to not advertise on Craigslist. Follow the link to read more.
    Missouri police were examining the cell phone records of a college student whose body was believed to have been found Tuesday night after he vanished while trying to sell his sports car on Craigslist. 
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

I've been hearing many negative stories about craigslist lately, many people have been kidnapped while meeting with their dates on craigslist. Again there are many pedophiles on craigslist who are promoting sexual abuse in children, Be careful when meeting with someone you've met on craigslist.

Comment

I have lived in places over the last few years where Craiglist is a foreign concept. Obviously, you can encounter violence and death everywhere and at any time. But if an "institution" like Craiglist is involved in serious crime it's especially sad and disappointing, as places like Craiglist help more people than harm them. At least, that's my impression.

Comment

I have read that some police departments are even allowing Craigslist meetings to take place in their reception areas as they are so concerned for public safety. I think people might let their usual security standards slip as it's not internet dating. Maybe people believe that no harm will come to them because, after all, they are only selling an iPod or whatever. No matter who you are meeting and for what purpose, the usual rules still apply.
        Last edited by missbishi; 05-10-2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

A note of precaution to all who wish to deal online;
          1.Never agree to meet the person in a desolated area,without any human movement.A lot can happen,and you will have to be searched all across.
          2.Take your friends along,if possible because you can feel a lot secure.
          3.Ensure there is a police station nearby,in the vicinity,just in case.

Comment

This is terrible. I've heard too many horror stories to even consider using Craigslist or similar sites. If I were the owner, I'd have to rethink my business. I wouldn't want there to be any possibility of being seen as a resource that psychos might use to find their victims. Isn't there a better way to screen people before allowing them to use the site? Do you think sites like this bear any responsibility for user safety?

Comment

My boyfriend is selling Sulpher rocks and wanted to sell them on Craigslist but I would not let him because of the stories I have heard. He is selling strictly on Ebay right now and soon on Amazon. I also told him it is strictly online and sent via mail. I don't trust anyone anymore. Just as many bad people are out there as there are good. Anyone interested in Sulpher pm me. We are selling it cheap. LMAO

Comment

I have only used Craigslist for jobs and apartments. This is so sad, so many people use it for cars and furniture and other things like that. We really need to be more careful when it comes to meeting people with whom we have made only an online connection. It is too easy for criminals to use it to find victims.

Never go alone to meet someone, it's just to dangerous.
                KimberlyD likes this.

Comment

That's a very scary story. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can easily happen in a world of faceless interconnectivity that we all experience online. I've only tried using Craigslist a few times, with very little success in terms of trying to sell things. But I would always be very wary about how to interact with people there.

Comment

Originally posted by Onionman View Post
                    That's a very scary story. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can easily happen in a world of faceless interconnectivity that we all experience online. I've only tried using Craigslist a few times, with very little success in terms of trying to sell things. But I would always be very wary about how to interact with people there.
                    Did you have any bad instance on it,because many a surveys says the possibility of a scam/something bad happening on craigslist is 1 in 6.Looks like all the criminals are getting on craigslist to target potential ppl,they can do bad to.

Comment

I know so far I haven't had any issues before the reports started coming in about it, but after that.... I took precautions. I don't do anything that involves physical interaction through there so I send them to a store site to protect the viewer also. That way they can purchase through a secure site.

Comment

Well, to be fair, it's not just Craigslist either. Many people "meet" others online and then attempt to meet for real for various reasons, whether business or personal. It works out well sometimes, but how do you know if it will? You don't. I just can't see taking the chance. There is nothing that I want badly enough to invite a complete stranger to my home or to meet him/her someplace that isn't well lit, public, and in easy access of help if needed. I would never go alone either.

Comment

I guess you always have to be prepared, have some sort of weapons or something else that you can use to defend yourself. There are probably loads of scammers over the internet, not just on Craigslist.

Comment

This is hindsight ok. So don't flame me. But when you are dealing with strangers on craigslist, one should be very careful with meeting up with them. If you are going to do a meet up, then try to go to a secure location where there is a lot of security and cameras, or hell, park right outside of a government building to do a transaction.

Comment

I agree with JoshPosh. It should be a very public place and never alone. There are too many "crazy" people out there to take any chances. The first time I met a friend from online, we met at a restaurant. It was a while before we hung out alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X