Missing UK student ate insects to survive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing UK student ate insects to survive

British student, David Mackie, who was reported missing in Turkey last week has been found alive and well. Mackie, and two friends, became lost when they took the wrong path during a hiking trip in Antalya eight days ago. The trio managed to find a cave to sleep in and survived by drinking spring water and eating whatever insects they could find. Although starving and exhausted, they only needed treatment for cuts and bruises and are all well enough to fly home in a couple of days. Here's the original article if anyone would like to read it...

That is certainly being resourceful. It is amazing what the mind can do when faced with extreme challenges. I am sure under normal circumstances the thought of eating insects would have been repelling. I know there are a number of countries throughout the world where insects are considered delicacies.

Comment

Stories of survival are really amazing. They prove to you that human beings can overcome adversities with resourcefulness and grit. Had they been in a group, it would have been more difficult to move around. They'd be hindered by those who couldn't keep up with their pace or their method of survival. With two, you can adjust with only one personality instead of three or more.

Comment

Is there a line everyone would draw as to what they would not be prepared to eat to survive? I think there are certainly some animals/insects that I am not sure I would have the stomach to eat although when put in that position perhaps my mindset would change.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean dillinger10. I might go "Ew" at the thought of eating insects now but if I was in the situation where it was either eat them or starve to death, well there's only one thing you can do!

Comment

Stories like these really point out the resilience of the human spirit. I'm sure these men would have never seen themselves eating insects when they started their hike, but it's amazing what they are capable of doing when pushed to the point of survival. I always wonder if I would have the will to survive such an event - would I be able do what was necessary to survive?

Comment

My parents used to tells stories about eating grasshoppers when they were young. Insects are a great source of protein. I think the survivors are very courageous.

This story reminds me of the 1972 Andes flight disaster in which the survivors ate some of the dead. Now, that's is really crossing the line. I could eat bugs, but I don't think I could eat a piece of a human being.

Comment

Awesome for them. Smart kids. I was actually taught to eat insects. My father used to tell me they were a good source of protein, especially grubs. I was watching that show where that guy goes and shows you how to survive in the wild, and he was eating a grub from out of a tree that he said taste nutty. I think I had one of those before.... on a camping trip. I just did not know where it came from. My dad roasted it and handed to me to eat. It tasted pretty good. Grasshoppers (Locus) are not to bad either. Heck there is chocolate covered insects that are sold on the market. As long as they are cooked insects are pretty tasty.... I wont eat a spider though, they creep me out.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
                  I know exactly what you mean dillinger10. I might go "Ew" at the thought of eating insects now but if I was in the situation where it was either eat them or starve to death, well there's only one thing you can do!
                  I recently read this article about prepping and eating a snake for survival. I am honestly not sure I could do this.

Our experiment with cooking a snake was a good one. We learned some good lessons from the experience.
                  First, some snakes, such as rattlesnakes, can provide quite a meal for the survivalist. They are meaty and offer important calories. Chicken snakes are not one of those snakes. Chicken snakes are very thin and have little useable meat.
                  Second, although easy to do, smoking the chicken snake made what meat there was very dry and leathery. It was a bit difficult to pull the meat off of the carcass. It was almost like eating a leather belt. I think next time, I’ll try making a soup out of it. Or perhaps simply cooking it less.
                  I’ve heard of people eating the bones of animals. We didn’t try that. You’d have to be very careful to chew the bones very well to keep them from getting lodged in your throat.

http://preppingtosurvive.com/2011/09/01/eating-a-snake/

Comment

I saw Bear Grylls skin a snake and cook it on television once. It didn't look too bad once he'd cooked it actually, it was the removal of the innards that grossed me out! Mind you, what he did with the leftover snakeskin was even worse but in a life or death situation you've no choice really.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
                      I saw Bear Grylls skin a snake and cook it on television once. It didn't look too bad once he'd cooked it actually, it was the removal of the innards that grossed me out! Mind you, what he did with the leftover snakeskin was even worse but in a life or death situation you've no choice really.
                      Do you think you could kill, cook and eat a snake? Perhaps I shouldn't ask what he did with the snakeskin?

Comment

Interesting article and a fine survival story. Regarding the consumption of insects, I have done so in the past. The Mexican dish chapulín, that is seasoned grasshoppers, isn't too bad. Oh I wouldn't say anything to write home about, but not nearly as nasty as one would imagine.
                        "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by ASurvivor View Post
                          Interesting article and a fine survival story. Regarding the consumption of insects, I have done so in the past. The Mexican dish chapulín, that is seasoned grasshoppers, isn't too bad. Oh I wouldn't say anything to write home about, but not nearly as nasty as one would imagine.
                          Do you think you could eat a snake if you needed to? I asked a few friends this question today and I seem to be in the minority as I still don't think I could actually get my mind around this.

Comment

This story is quite inspiring actually. Some extreme survival techniques even suggest that one can survive by eating your own shirt a little at a time until you are rescued. They were actually lucky since they had access to fresh spring water. Amazing.

Comment

It appears to me that Bear Grylls had some influence despite of his maverick acts, such as sticking his hand into crevasses in rocks, looking for snakes... or eating eggs directly out of bird nests without even knowing if they are rotten or not.
                              Eating insects raw can lead to all kinds of problems, especially when one's immune system is already compromised. So, whatever these kids did in Antalya, they did it right. And I am glad they made it!

Comment

Working...
                              X