Father & Son Shot Dead in Wildlife Park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father & Son Shot Dead in Wildlife Park

A father and his son who are anti-poaching volunteers have been shot by a ranger and died on the spot as they were mistaken for poachers in a national park in Zimbabwe. The victims were identified as Italian father and son Claudio Chiarelli and Max Chiarelli respectively. The pair are members of Zambezi Society, a volunteer anti-poaching organization serving to protect elephants inside the national park. They were supposed to relieve a team of rangers deployed the previous day and be the ones to continue following a trail of suspected poachers. It was just so sad that they were the ones mistaken to be the poachers.

Here's the more detailed story:

http://news.sky.com/story/1659739/pa...-wildlife-park

What a shame, on the topic of nature conservation, I'd like to point something out. Why are we trying to save animals that do nothing for us? What's the point of saving elephants and rhinos? I'll tell you why... for tourism and entertainment. OUR entertainment. That's the idiotic irony of saving animals that just LOOK nice. I understand saving bees and cows, but what's a giant horned tortoise looking thing really doing for us, other than entertaining us? This is just proves how selfish mankind is. Instead of spending billions of dollars on that, we could spend it saving starving animals and people, since saving those animals is essentially just saving people anyway.

Back to the topic though, I really feel for the father and son, the clearly untrained, uneducated and unqualified game rangers did not know what they were doing and ended up taking the lives of two men who didn't deserve that to happen to them. I think that the nature conservationists should wear a unique marked clothing so that they can be identified to prevent this from happening again. I send my condolences to the men's family.

Comment

This is certainly a tragic story, and especially in these circumstances of mistaken identity. They was essentially going to be doing what the rangers who shot them was doing and trying to protect the animals, so that makes it even worse, and especially for the person that shot them.

In regards to SashaS is saying, well, I'm not 100% sure what you are saying so I'd like you to clarify it a bit more if you could? It's ok for poachers to go and kill endangered animals? People shouldn't worry about protecting them in the first place, that's how I read it anyway. If that is what you was saying, then I can't agree with your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
        In regards to SashaS is saying, well, I'm not 100% sure what you are saying so I'd like you to clarify it a bit more if you could? It's ok for poachers to go and kill endangered animals? People shouldn't worry about protecting them in the first place, that's how I read it anyway. If that is what you was saying, then I can't agree with your opinion.

We kill millions of farm animals every day, so other than the fact that there aren't that many rhinos/elephants/whatever, what makes them so special? They are being killed to fuel a market where people make money and benefit from it, the same way farm animals do. I understand that we want to keep them alive because there aren't many left, but why do we need them? Other than for entertainment, which is just plain selfish. I understand its not a popular opinion, but if you look at the logic behind our actions instead of just taking things for what they are, you see things in a different light...
        Last edited by SashaS; 03-15-2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Farm animals are bred solely so they can be used for food. For every animal that we kill, there are more being born and we make sure by controlling the breeding and culling they will never become extinct.

Hunting a tiger just to chop it's head off and mount it on a wall, or sawing off an elephants risk so the ivory dealers can make a bit of money a totally different things altogether. Your right that is an unpopular point of view that you have, but it's unpopular for a reason. It's ethically and morally wrong.

That's my opinion anyway...
          xTinx likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
            Farm animals are bred solely so they can be used for food. For every animal that we kill, there are more being born and we make sure by controlling the breeding and culling they will never become extinct.

Hunting a tiger just to chop it's head off and mount it on a wall, or sawing off an elephants risk so the ivory dealers can make a bit of money a totally different things altogether. Your right that is an unpopular point of view that you have, but it's unpopular for a reason. It's ethically and morally wrong.

That's my opinion anyway...
            I share your opinion. Animals are classified as either wildlife or livestock. There is a stark difference between these two categories. Those that belong to the latter category are bred solely for food. They are mass-produced by breeders and have a larger population than the animals living in the wild. Wild animals take time to reproduce because they mate on a seasonal basis.

Now back to the issue of poaching. Who in his right mind would kill a living creature just for fun or as a hobby? Humans are not serial killers with streaks of sadism, right?
            pwarbi likes this.

Comment

I would just like to share how elephants extraordinarily helped tsunami victims in Thailand after the devastating wave hit the country in Christmas of 2004. The images of elephants helping rescue people and clear debris after the tsunami are just so heart warming and emotionally touching. I couldn't help but shed tears of gratitude for these gentle giants who in no doubt have made a great contribution in helping out after the 2004 Thailand tsunami. There are many more stories of elephants helping people in different ways.

Here's a link with some of the pictures of elephants helping out in the aftermath of the Thailand tsunami:

http://www.elephantstay.com/tsunami.html
              pwarbi likes this.

Comment

And that's exactly the reason I made my point in the first place about how it doesn't really matter if animals go extinct or not, because of course it matters, well, it should do!

Mankind is at risk of not only losing animals such as these but what's worse, actually being responsible for them dying out and how can anybody think that's acceptable?

Imagine in a few years time when the next generation isgrowing up and asks why they can only see pictures of these animals or watch them on TV and asks why they died? Do you want to turn round and say because we killed them all?
                gracer likes this.

Comment

This is very unfortunate. And to think they were there to actually save the animals yet they were the ones killed. I just think it's more than just a mistake, the supposed rangers should have shot them in the knee or arms instead of aiming for more critical parts.

I don't know the exact places they were shot though but I'm assuming it's a critical part since they died. If the rangers suspected that they were poachers, would it be their intention to kill them? Isn't it the main point is just to stop the poaching and not kill the supposed suspects?

Granted if they were really poachers which in this case they aren't. The rangers should have thought of that possibility as well.

In any way, condolences to the family. And I hope the souls of the Chiarellis rest in peace.
                  Well-known professional hunter and safari guide Claudio Chiarelli and his son Max were shot in Mana Pools as they took part in an anti-poaching operation with national parks rangers
                  gracer likes this.

Comment

I also share your thoughts about the shooting Briannagodess. If the rangers thought that the men they saw were poachers they should have just shot them in areas of their body which would just cause injury so they couldn't escape. If indeed they saw the real poachers themselves, the rangers still shouldn't shoot in a way that they would kill them. It''s not determined whether the father ans son were shot in critical parts of their body but them dying on the spot meant that they were either hit on major organs or they bled excessively due to multiple gunshots. It's just really sad they had to die that way.

pwarbi I'm also hoping that many more generations to come would still get to see the animals we are seeing now in the flesh and not only in books or pictures. It would still be a sight to behold looking at our animals in motion and living freely in their territories. I for one as an animal lover will never support any form of animal cruelty.
                    pwarbi likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
                      I also share your thoughts about the shooting Briannagodess. If the rangers thought that the men they saw were poachers they should have just shot them in areas of their body which would just cause injury so they couldn't escape. If indeed they saw the real poachers themselves, the rangers still shouldn't shoot in a way that they would kill them. It''s not determined whether the father ans son were shot in critical parts of their body but them dying on the spot meant that they were either hit on major organs or they bled excessively due to multiple gunshots. It's just really sad they had to die that way.

pwarbi I'm also hoping that many more generations to come would still get to see the animals we are seeing now in the flesh and not only in books or pictures. It would still be a sight to behold looking at our animals in motion and living freely in their territories. I for one as an animal lover will never support any form of animal cruelty.
                      Animal cruelty is exactly what it is, and if these animals were being hunted for food, and people needed them to survive it could be justifiable. The fact they're just killing these animals to make a profit for themselves is the worst part about it.

Some people say that the poachers aren't as well educated as people in the west and they are just doing something that's part of their tradition and culture, but I'm not buying into that. They know all too well what they're doing and why they're doing it, and that's just to get rich.
                      gracer likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X