29 People die of stampede in India

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 People die of stampede in India

27 people died on the spot and 2 others succumbed to their injuries in hospital later as tragedy hit big time in South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. People are taking a holy dip in river Godavari, India's second biggest river for which a religious festival is celebrated. Despite huge arrangements and mock drills ahead of the mega ritual, people still died in a stampede as the crowd was said to have been detained to allow the state's chief minister to take a holy dip first.

The crowd was later released in a flurry which resulted in a stampede. Officials are blamed for the incident for poor anticipation and poor crowd management.

http://time.com/3956824/india-stampe...ed-pushkaralu/

The ritual is, since being conducted in an orderly fashion.

I was going to ask if a stampede like this had ever taken place at this festival before but upon reading the article the answer would probably be a no as this festival takes place only once every 144 years. The worrying thing is that the Time article estimates that as many as 2 million people are expected to attend the festival over the next 2 weeks and so there is the potential for a repeat incident.

It is concerning that we have seen a number of people trampled to death in recent weeks in the subcontinent, including the incident in Bangladesh that killed 23 people.

Comment

It happened when authorities sealed off a bathing ghat meant for the public in order to allow VIPs privacy.Now that's wrong right,money just cannot make its presence everywhere,lest it will irk the ire of many.
      On a personal instance i too have felt irritated when being made to wait whilst some other guy gets preference just because he is VIP.

Comment

So my understanding is that this is a rare religious event which is intended for everyone, regardless of who they are? If that is the case then there's no wonder there was such a stampede. I would have got pretty annoyed, being forced to wait for the rich and powerful during a spiritual event.

Comment

I donīt know what is wrong with people. This festival lasts a long time, it is not like the water is going to go away. The irony is that these were mostly really poor people in the region who are being abused by the rich people, and what happened at the river was just a continuation of their plight.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
            So my understanding is that this is a rare religious event which is intended for everyone, regardless of who they are? If that is the case then there's no wonder there was such a stampede. I would have got pretty annoyed, being forced to wait for the rich and powerful during a spiritual event.
            yes it is intended for everyone,regardless of caste,creed or color.
            Its quite natural to get annoyed when somebody else takes away your place in the queue,which you had "earned" by slogging it out for hours together.:P

Originally posted by petesede View Post
            I donīt know what is wrong with people. This festival lasts a long time, it is not like the water is going to go away. The irony is that these were mostly really poor people in the region who are being abused by the rich people, and what happened at the river was just a continuation of their plight.
            The point is not about that buddy,its about why these VIP's get the preference when the festival is for everyone.Stampedes don't occur out of thin air right ??
            These VIP's just don't get to be the early bird to worship/perform the ritual,they take a lot of space as well,more like in what 500 people can stand.Obviously the mob is displaced causing a stampede.

Comment

What a tragedy in a supposed to be very holy event for them. This is one of those instances were the first come, first serve should have been followed closely. The authorities should also be very hands on in providing protection for the participants.

In our country, we have an event like this that happens every year. It is called the Feast of the Black Nazarene. Millions of people join this feast just to touch the statue of the Nazarene. Even popular and rich people join it. But there is no special treatment, they have to fight the crowd to be able to touch the statue.

Comment

I wonder how the legal system works in India and if legal action can be brought against the organizers/controllers and the politicians that caused the problem. But for those of us in the USA that think this is crazy, you should try living in Washington DC or NYC and see how many times traffic is blocked off to allow important people quick access. There have even been instances where police use sirens and lights just to help celebrities.. I know there was a big stink in Florida a few years ago because Lebron James had 4 police cars giving him fast access down some highway.

Comment

Originally posted by petesede View Post
                  I wonder how the legal system works in India and if legal action can be brought against the organizers/controllers and the politicians that caused the problem.
                  According to this report by The Indian Express, an investigation into the stampede is underway and a retired judge will be appointed to conduct a probe into the incident and strict action will be taken against those responsible. In addition, the East Godavari district administration has sent a preliminary report of the stampede to the government and also the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).

However, and perhaps not surprisingly, The New Indian Express reports that the Andhra Pradesh government is placing the blame on the public for their actions.

The AP Congress Committee president Raghu Veera Reddy countered this response by publicly holding the Chief Minister responsible for the stampede due to a lack of preventive measures and that the families should receive compensation of 25 lakhs as opposed to the 10 lakhs that has been offered by the state government.

Comment

While looking for new updates tonight I came across this report published by the National Crime Records Bureau which states that between 2001 and 2013, 2243 people were killed in stampedes at mass religious gatherings in India. There have been a staggering 2987 incidents of stampedes in the country over this period. Andhra Pradesh leads the list with highest number of deaths over this period with 355.

During this period, more than 100 people lost their lives because of stampedes in 6 of the 13 years. The highest number of incidents (1532) occurred in 2009 with the highest number of deaths (434) occurring in 2011.

Image Copyright: Factly.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
                      What a tragedy in a supposed to be very holy event for them. This is one of those instances were the first come, first serve should have been followed closely. The authorities should also be very hands on in providing protection for the participants.

In our country, we have an event like this that happens every year. It is called the Feast of the Black Nazarene. Millions of people join this feast just to touch the statue of the Nazarene. Even popular and rich people join it. But there is no special treatment, they have to fight the crowd to be able to touch the statue.
                      What will be the approximate numbers that attend the function ??
                      i am sure it will only be 30-40% of what is done here.I am blaming the population for it,not the interest or any other factor.
                      More like it people from many states flock for an event.So yes,in a nutshell without much of a description.The officials decided to enforce "special treatment" to those who pay money to attend/visit the function.

Comment

According to this article, an estimated 5 million people join the feast every year. There really should be no special treatment in events like this as those who lined up for very long will get really angry. And if the people get angry, there can be chaos. It is hard to control an enormous group of people and hence, they end up beinng hurt.
                        An estimated 5 million people have joined the Procession of the Black Nazarene in Manila, bringing parts of the Philippine capital to a halt
                        Last edited by Briannagodess; 07-22-2015, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I think the authority arrangement should have more secured, especially on the festival seasons where people from whole over the world come to see or enjoy the festival according to the articles just because of the huge numbers of people, that was difficult to manage sometimes even 5 billion people join the festival every year. That's why its hard to control an enormous group of people. I think next time onward they should arrange a special treatment for people who come to see or join feast.

Comment

It is a real tragedy that such incidents are quite common in India. In a recent incident on 10th Aug'15 eleven people lost their lives in a stampede at a Jharkhand temple. Approximately 50 people got injured. Most of them were there to take bath in holy river Ganga after temple visit. As per authorities there was an abnormal increase in the number of devotees on that particular day which went up to one lakh. The incident happened at 5:00 am when the temple was opened for the devotees.

Comment

Very sad incident happened indeed! Feeling sorry for those people who has died on the spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X