Asbestos Found in Crayons, Other Toys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billy View Post
    When I was a kid, I ate crayons. nothing bad happened to me. I am not sure if those crayons are made are in China or not. It didn't became a habit though because I only did it once. The fact I did it as a kid, means there are other kids who will do it too. Just imagine if one child ate a stick of an asbestos filled crayon. This is really disturbing because many kids have tendencies to it things in their mouths or eats food without washing
    their hands. This is a disaster in the making if its not stopped.
    I remember when I was growing up my parents and all my teachers would devote at least 10 minutes every few days to remind us to never put anything in our mouth (unless its lunchtime) haha. Many children also put glue on their hands and some tried to lick it. I honestly feel no child was ever put in harms way because we were reminded constantly so that as we grow older we would be more cautious of the things we want to do.
    I wish every school would have this routine habit so that every child is safe.

Comment

There is trend on YouTube were women melt crayons to turn them into lipstick. Many women does this so they can make custom colors and save money as well. Imagine if one of those women purchased these asbestos rich crayons. This is like a ticking time bomb waiting for a victim. It should not be released on market at all because of all the people they can harm, specially Young children who have tendencies to put things .

Comment

Many children have tendencies to chew their crayons and don't wash their hands after using a crayon. You can imagine how much danger this can cause. Crayons should be non toxic because it is being used by children. I think they should use edible materials when they were making crayons so children will be safer from any potential harm. Play dough, a popular toy for kids is made of flour,oil,salt and food color. I believe crayons should follow the same path to make sure children are safe.
        I couldn't agree more. As a mom, I am getting scared of news like this especially when it concerns children. As parents we have to be more cautious and careful in choosing the things we buy for our little ones. The safety of our children should come first before anything else.

Comment

For now avoiding the cheap brands is the better option parents can go for. Yes expensive crayons are not affordable but the safety of your children is not cheap. Despite of all these negative news, I have a feeling parents will still don't care about safety and all they think about I the bargain they get from those cheap made in China products that has been involved in multiple controversies already. I am trying to find recipes on YouTube on how to make home made crayons but sdkt the results got invaded by those how to make lipstick from craln videos instead?

Comment

Incredible. I wonder if they came with a label that stated "non-toxic". Because if they did, people who bought these poisonous crayons are entitled to sue the company that produced them.
            As many other posters have already stated, kids have a tendency to put things into their mouth and chew on them. Considering their fragility and, depending on the concentration of asbestos, they could get sick rather quickly. And it might even be hard to diagnose what exactly is affecting them, as no one would think that "harmless" toys could cause a potentially life threatening condition.

Comment

For now avoiding the cheap brands is the better option parents can go for. Yes expensive crayons are not affordable but the safety of your children is not cheap.
              Sorry, that's not the solution at all. If you read the article that I linked earlier in this thread you will see that Crayola, Prang and Rose Art are the main brands that tested positive for asbestos. All are made in the US. The article also says that crayons manufactured in Malaysia, China, Indonesia and Mexico did not contain asbestos. At the moment it seems that the cheap foreign brands are actually safer! And, if you read the quotes from the people at the institute that certifies crayons as non-toxic, it is a pathetic comedy of denial and sidestepping responsibility. I wouldn't trust them to certify anything now!
              dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

I am so glad I came across this article! This is truly alarming and completely unacceptable. I am thinking a petition needs to be started on this! This is no way for these items to be produced. Kids will inevitably put these in their mouths, that's what kids do! This has to be stopped, now!

Comment

This is alarming and extremely dangerous. In fact, efforts are being made in many countries to destroy buildings or other structures that may have traces of asbestos in them. This is because they have realize how dangerous it is for health. If this story is indeed true, it would mean than many children and adults have been exposed. Children can be even more vulnerable than adults as they sometimes chew crayons and their system may not be to tolerate the chemical. Even by simply handling the crayons, the harmful effects of asbestos can be experienced. This emphasizes the importance of products passing through the necessary testing and screening procedures to ensure that they are safe for use.

Comment

Asbestos in crayons!? This is the first I have heard of this. And to think my children constantly have those silly things in their months chewing on them. I can not imagine someone working in the factories that these are produced in, not knowing that there is a potential hazard of asbestos in the making of them. I am too wondering if the factories themselves have an asbestos issue and it is transferring to the products they are producing. And to top it off, it is a product we give willingly to our children for enjoyment. Seems more and more products that are suppose to be safe and carefree for our kids, are the ones that have asbestos or BPA in the making of them. It has to be the way products are made now days. I do not remember 30 years ago when I was little, having all these chemicals and problems with the things I used.

Comment

I love the idea about the edible crayons! Lol, I used to live in a house made of asbestos and I don't think I've ever had trouble breathing or anything. Hope I don't get the big C haha. I'm glad my kids don't use crayons but if it is in crayons, I'm sure you could find some in colored pencils and lots of other stuff. I think we might take these things into too much consideration and worry too much.

Comment

Yes this is terrible.
                        It does not say WHY and HOW this happened though. Maybe it is a cost cutting thing?
                        Anyways a quick google search tells me this is being taken very seriously and these products are already off the shelves!

Comment

This is what happens when corporations focus more on profit than their customers. It's the inevitable result of greed. But when some child dies from this, that company may face the biggest lawsuit it's ever seen. So companies are taking risks by doing things like this. Manufacturers need to understand the theory of production: Garbage in, garbage out. Quality products do better because people trust them, this is what some manufacturers don't realize. It is an alarming matter and the next time I buy my boy crayons, I'll make sure to check for this. Thanks for the eye opening post.

Comment

While I obviously agree that anytime a report like this comes out then it's disturbing but I'm not sure if blaming the manufacturer is the right way to go.

While they're going to have to shoulder a lot of the responsibility, they aren't going to want any bad publicity themselves, so to think they are using dangerous substances in their products deliberately is maybe a little wide of the mark. The tests they conduct need tightening up, and they should be aware of exactly what's in a product before it's put on sale, but to say they are doing it on purpose to cut corners and save money, might not be exactly true.

Comment

I have heard even trace exposure to asbestos can cause cancer and other fatal lung disease,actually that implies no level of asbestos is safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X