Asbestos Found in Crayons, Other Toys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos Found in Crayons, Other Toys

Why would someone put asbestos in crayons and other toys? In what world is that acceptable? Certainly not in mine. I have looked around, and haven't seen a story that delineates where these toys and crayons were made, nor who was charged with ascertaining their suitability for use, by children, or for that matter, anyone.
    Several brands of children’s crayons and kids' detective kits were found to contain asbestos, according a disturbing report released Wednesday.

I wonder if the asbestos is coming from the factories themselves? Health and Safety regulations vary greatly throughout the world and it's more likely that these goods are being manufactured in an environment where asbestos is present. Small traces could easily make thier way into the products.
    Last edited by missbishi; 07-12-2015, 05:36 PM.
    Diane Lane likes this.

Comment

Many children have tendencies to chew their crayons and don't wash their hands after using a crayon. You can imagine how much danger this can cause. Crayons should be non toxic because it is being used by children. I think they should use edible materials when they were making crayons so children will be safer from any potential harm. Play dough, a popular toy for kids is made of flour,oil,salt and food color. I believe crayons should follow the same path to make sure children are safe.
      Diane Lane likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
        I wonder if the asbestos is coming from the factories themselves? Health and Safety regulations vary greatly throughout the world and it's more likely that these goods are being manufactured inan environment where asbestos is present. Small traces could easily make thier way into the products.

​Yes, missbishi you're right about that, I'm sure the factories aren't in the best shape, and who knows what the workers have been exposed to. Coming on the heels of so many other asbestos and toxic chemical issues of products coming from China, you would think they'd clean up their act, but I guess they figure we're hungry for cheap merchandise, and will put up with random poisonings. It's obvious they have no regard for their own workers/citizens, let alone those they're selling products to, overseas.

Billy Yes, those are important considerations. No doubt the asbestos is being spread throughout the homes of the children using the products. Additionally, there are other places besides homes that crayons and games are used, such as in hospitals, institutions, day cares, therapy sessions, etc., so this problem could be pretty widespread.

Comment

I remember a YouTube tutorial on how to get rid of ants and the person used asbestos as an ingridient to poison the ants. If asbestos can harm ants just imagine what it can do to children. I believe parents should buy crayons with label "Non toxic" so they can be much more secure on what are their kids were using. They should also avoid "Made in China" crayons because of all the controversies they have in the past. Sometimes its better to buy something expensive and safe over something cheap and affordable.

Comment

News like this are not shocking to me anymore. There are tons of horrible chemicals that can potentially be causing disease found in makeup so when I read this topic I wasn't very shocked. It seems like almost every company is trying to find a cheaper route so they can produce more and get higher profits. Recently, I have seen a new product invented on the Shark Tank show which is edible crayons. They are made from mostly sugar and fruit but also serve the purpose as coloring. I think ideas like this need to blossom more all across our world.

Comment

It is a high probability that the crayons and toy were made overseas. Maybe China like most of our goods. ?They do not have high standards in working conditions and sanitation. So the chances of contamination is at a very high level. Anytime you buy goods that is manufactured in other countries there are risk. They do not operate at a high level like most western countries.

Did anyone notice that this news is coming out of FOX? Hard to believe anything they report.
              EADP Man likes this.

Comment

• EADP Man
                EADP Man commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree I hesitated when I saw it was Fox myself. But their source is credible and the low cost of numerous brands on the market makes it easy to adjust to. Crayons are important though, more than we think. imagine not having the color recognition from using them and reading their color name on the side and trying to describe something to someone over the phone lets say? It makes sure we all can recognize "Wintergreen" when someone says it. Clear concise identification and communication of is huge in what we do.

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post
              Did anyone notice that this news is coming out of FOX? Hard to believe anything they report.
              This was actually originally reported by other news agencies prior to Fox News picking it up. The Fox report was issued yesterday. Time ran this story 4 days ago.

San Francisco Chronicle published this story 3 days ago, as did RT News

Snopes put together this article which also includes results from an investigation launched by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission back in 2000.
              EADP Man, fcphdJim and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

Asbestos is terrible stuff. I can't imagine it getting into anything manufactured in the states. It would have to be overseas.

Comment

I have heard even trace exposure to asbestos can cause cancer and other fatal lung disease,actually that implies no level of asbestos is safe.

Source : fox news
                  Quote : "The average child uses 730 crayons by age 10, according to a news release from EWG"

Even a quick math will suggest that the child will die,for sure before he even reaches the age of 10.

I shudder to think the possibilities of exposure over the due course of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post
                    News like this are not shocking to me anymore. There are tons of horrible chemicals that can potentially be causing disease found in makeup so when I read this topic I wasn't very shocked. It seems like almost every company is trying to find a cheaper route so they can produce more and get higher profits. Recently, I have seen a new product invented on the Shark Tank show which is edible crayons. They are made from mostly sugar and fruit but also serve the purpose as coloring. I think ideas like this need to blossom more all across our world.
                    Wow that is actually a good idea! Anything food grade is safe so those crayons are excellent. Is it easy to make? I would love to make that for my son.

On topic: This issue is really concerning. Children love to play with crayons and sometimes, they even eat them. I hope the authorities arrest the culprits in this case!

Comment

This is extremely alarming especially for parents like me. That's why I always make sure that my son washes his hands thoroughly after playing with his toys and most especially after using his crayons. He has never been the type to put his toys or anything non-edible into his mouth though. As much as possible I also avoid anything that's China made because I always have this notion that anything "Made In China" is probably toxic. I wouldn't blame people for thinking that way because there have been many cases where products coming from China have been reported to contain toxic chemicals which can be fatal.

Comment

This is extremely alarming especially for parents like me. That's why I always make sure that my son washes his hands thoroughly after playing with his toys and most especially after using his crayons. He has never been the type to put his toys or anything non-edible into his mouth though. As much as possible I also avoid anything that's China made because I always have this notion that anything "Made In China" is probably toxic. I wouldn't blame people for thinking that way because there have been many cases where products coming from China have been reported to contain toxic chemicals which can be fatal.

Comment

This article provides some good information. Here is their suggested reason for asbestos in the crayons: "The asbestos is most likely a contaminant of the talc that most companies use in crayons as a strengthener for the paraffin and coloring agents." Unfortunately, hand washing would do very little to reduce risk from this, because the real danger is from breathing in fibers released while coloring. All in all, I think the level of exposure would be extremely low, but it usually takes 20-30 years for disease to show up. By then it is too late.

Comment

When I was a kid, I ate crayons. nothing bad happened to me. I am not sure if those crayons are made are in China or not. It didn't became a habit though because I only did it once. The fact I did it as a kid, means there are other kids who will do it too. Just imagine if one child ate a stick of an asbestos filled crayon. This is really disturbing because many kids have tendencies to it things in their mouths or eats food without washing
                            their hands. This is a disaster in the making if its not stopped.
                            Last edited by Billy; 07-18-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X