Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venomous type of jellyfish along East Coast beaches.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venomous type of jellyfish along East Coast beaches.

The Portuguese Man o' War, a toxic type of jellyfish, has been sighted on beaches along the Jersy Shore area, and is expected to work their way even further noth in the upcoming weeks.
    These deadly sea creatures are usually found further south, and like warmer waters; but the northeasterly winds and the gulf stream are carrying the jellyfish from the beaches around Florida and the Caribbean further up the coast.

When swimming in the area, it is important to have someone with you, because if you are stung by one of these dangerous jellyfish, the venom can be fatal.
    The tenticles can streth up to 30 feet in the water, so it is highly possible to encounter one and not realize it until it is too late.

This article explains more about watching out for them, and shows pictures of what they look like, both in the water and washed up on the shore.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...eekend-n384591
    dillinger10 likes this.

I believe they are also dangerous even when they are washed up. Beast to keep your children close if you plan to go to the beach in this region. Also keep your dog on a leash. They are curious animals and probably won't know that the jellyfish is a hazard.

Comment

Have heard a lot about jelly fish.Not safe to approach or touch even when you think it is dead on the beach. Please be careful.Should they sting,pour a jug of ammonia on the wound to ease the pain.
      Remember some articles that had sharks biting off a man's leg deep in the ocean.
      Ocean ain't safe these days.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Tumbleweed This is very close to home for me. It is a shame that these Man O' Wars are potentially dangerous as they are beautiful and colorful to look at. I was interested to learn that as they are unable to propel themselves in any direction, they just drift with the ocean currents towards the warmer ocean waters.

The article also provided some great advice regarding keeping vinegar in your beach bag. This is not something I would have previously thought to carry with me to the beach.
        Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

Well, dillinger10 , be careful down there on the beach, even if you are taking the vinegar along. Being zapped by a jellyfish is NOT something we want to see you posting about in the "personal experiences" catagory !

Actually, there are a lot of things that vinegar will help with. Another good thing is to have some baking soda.
          If you get bit/stung/scraped by some kind of plant/insect that has an acid oil, then the alkaline in the soda will neutralize it.
          On the other hand, if it is an alkaline oil, then the acid in the vinegar will help.

I never can remember if poison ivy is acid or alkaline, and if you aren't sure which it is, then take a q-tip and smear a little vinegar on part of the rash, and then take another q-tip, and put a dab of the soda (disolved in water) on another part.
          Which ever one seems to help, then that is what you treat the whole thing with.

Both of these are cheap and easy to carry a little around with you. Actually, you can look it up on google and see which one works best for each thing; but I never remember anyway; so I just test and see which one helps.
          Last edited by Tumbleweed; 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM.

Comment

These are they natural predators: Tuna Swordfish Salmon Sea Turtle The first 3 animals are not really endangered but we know their population is dwindling because of overfishing. Sea turtles are critically endangered and we know how much they need to saved. We cannot stop people from eating Tuna,Salmon and Swordfish but we can save the sea turtles because their meat is illegal in the US. There should be more programs to help them populate. I think if the damaged coral reefs will be restored, we wont be having problems with jelyfishes.

Comment

Working...
            X