Yulin Dog Meat Festival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yulin Dog Meat Festival

I don't know if anyone has already put in a post about this topic, but in the last few days I have read about this barbaric tradition on several sites and want to bring it to the attention of everyone.
    Hundreds of thousands of people around the world have expressed outrage about the annual dog meat festival in Yulin, China. Up to 10.000 dogs get killed in unspeakably cruel ways, some are apparently blow-torched alive. The government in Yulin has disassociated itself from the festival, stating that it can't ban what is now regarded as a private enterprise. Despite of high profile celebrities protesting against the practice, the festival went ahead as planned.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10361155.html

Yes, I've read about that. Yahoo had it in their headlines. I've already lost my faith in the Chinese government after what their military did at Scarborough Shoal. And news about this barbaric tradition made my blood boil (and it's still boiling as we speak). China's sewers are clogged up with dead pigs they could've cooked into sumptuous dishes but no, they'd rather eat dog meat and desecrate the dignity of domesticated animals. Worse, the government turns a blind eye. Of course, dogs aren't human beings and could not generate oil so they'd rather let Yulin's citizens do as they please. What a tragic state of affairs. Oh well, you know what they say about karma.
    amethyst likes this.

Comment

I'm a dog lover but my opinion on this matter is this............every culture has it's own delicacies. Dog and cat meat is huge in China. They look at it as food and where I'm from, they are looked at as family members. I understand this and I support right to treat them live livestock. However, there is the humane way of slaughtering livestock. It has to be quick and humane. Burning them alive is not one of them. Dipping them in boiling hot water after hitting them over the head a few times is not humane.
      fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Well Peru have a festival for Cat meat and Guinea Pig meat. Dog meat use to be eaten in Switzerland. Wolf meat is legal in the US as long as you hunted it on your own and you are not going to sell it for market consumption.
        It is their culture and there is no way we can change. There are endangered specie animals that needs more rescuing. I do love dogs as a pet but they were overpopulated and majority of them ends up euthanized. Indians can complain about how the whole world eats cows, an animal they consider sacred but they dont. We cannot stop people to change something part of their culture. Maybe if the dogs are treated humane, that will be the issue. If the whole world can't stop them from eating dogs, the dogs must experience a very humane life and should be treated with dignity before getting killed.

I kind of prefer helping humans and animals that were critically endangered because they need it more.

Beavers, squirrels, crocodiles,wolves, nutria, and raccoon are delicacies in some parts of the US but they were killed humanely and fast.
        Last edited by Billy; 07-05-2015, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I can not say I am opposed to eating dog meat simply because people in other cultures have dogs as pets, but I am always opposed to cruel means of butchering animals. That I think is disrespectful to the animal, which is capable of feeling pain. All animals that are going to be eaten should be killed quickly. There are a number of ways to do that. In the US, people who raise steers for meat usually shoot the steer between the eyes, then slit its throat to bleed it out, so the steer never even knew what happened. Why can't they do something like this so that there isn't torture involved?

Comment

In every country in the world, there is meat eaten which other countries would find distasteful to say the least. That's just culture and I have no issue with it whatsoever. A living thing is a living thing and you can't really say that it's OK to kill one species but not another.

What I do take issue with is the inhumanity. There are much quicker and painless ways of dispatching the dogs and there's really no need to blow-torch them to death. I'm surprised at the government though. There are many illegal and immoral activities that could be classed as "private enterprise" after all.

Comment

China can continue eating dog if they want to but they need to treat then dogs humanely. They should be raised with respect and dignity and they should be killed in the most humane way. They should also do something about safety because rabies cannot be killed by cooking. Dog meat is actually bad for the health because they have parasites that were harmful to humans that no vaccines can kill. The number of dog eaters are dwindling I think because dog lovers are increasing in China. Switzerland use to eat dog meat but its not part of their culture anymore.

Comment

I have a very sensitive heart when it comes to animals. I personally think of cats and dogs as part of the family and to see a culture treat them this way is just not human. I can't really understand the joy and how this tradition is still continuing to be honest. I hope that protests will be more successful in the future. These innocent animals truly don't deserve this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post
                  I have a very sensitive heart when it comes to animals. I personally think of cats and dogs as part of the family and to see a culture treat them this way is just not human. I can't really understand the joy and how this tradition is still continuing to be honest. I hope that protests will be more successful in the future. These innocent animals truly don't deserve this at all.
                  You know Indians were thinking the same when we eat beef and veal, Meat that came from an animal they consider sacred. You really don't see them complaining that we are eating their holy animal that is close to their Gods. If you want to be sympathetic to animals don't be selective to cats and dogs only. The Rhinos, elephants and endangered specie animals deserves more rescuing than overpopulated animals.

Also vegans feel the same way when we eat most type of legal commercial meats.
                  Last edited by Billy; 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM.
                  fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

I read somewhere else that the dogs are people's pet that were stolen for this reason. That makes it very wrong. Sure people all over the world eat meat that others don't think is right but these animals are raised for the purpose. These dogs are animals that are part of somebody's family. They are not wild dogs. They are stolen from people who loved and cared for them. People can eat but they want but to me eating a family pet is wrong.

Comment

I have two dogs that I love to death. They are like my kids, since I have none. It is insane to think about how terribly dogs are treated in certain other places. Unfortunately, it's hard to do something about an age-old tradition in another country.

Comment

I have a husky that I love to bits but this is part of their culture. And what difference does it make on
                        us eating meat? And it's not just the China that has a dog festival, Korea has it's own version too.
                        What I don't like about this festival is the articles of dogs being kidnap (dognap).

Comment

Originally posted by Susan View Post
                          I read somewhere else that the dogs are people's pet that were stolen for this reason. That makes it very wrong. Sure people all over the world eat meat that others don't think is right but these animals are raised for the purpose. These dogs are animals that are part of somebody's family. They are not wild dogs. They are stolen from people who loved and cared for them. People can eat but they want but to me eating a family pet is wrong.
                          This may sound shocking to you but Dog meat is legal in Canada as long as its specifically breed for meat and it gets inspected for safety. I my self is shocked about this but it is legal in Canada. Another shocker for me, Wolf meat is legal in the US, as long as its not sold for commercial purposes and its only the hunter who will eat.

Back to China, if they really want to eat dog meat, it should not be stolen from families and it should be raised and killed humanely.

Comment

Working...
                          X