90% Of Killers Are Male

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90% Of Killers Are Male

I was reading this news report and I thought everyone here would be of interest in the article. It claims that 90% of the killers in the world are male and it has something to do with their genes. Apparently men are not able to withstand social stress like females can and it leads them down dark roads where they react violently.

Originally posted by CNN
    Males are disproportionately over-represented in the ranks of America's killers -- about 90%, in fact. Why is that? Some of it appears to lie in the biological vulnerability of males. About 30% of males (versus 9% of females) have a form of the MAOA gene that impairs their ability to deal effectively and pro-socially with stressful situations (like living in an abusive family). Thus, the vast majority of males who have this genetic vulnerability and who live in abusive families end up engaging in a chronic pattern of aggression, bad behavior, acting out and violating the rights of others by the time they are 10 years old.
    I have actually heard this idea before, but there has to be something more to it then genes. I think we expect more from men and so they are treated much more harshly then women. A person can only deal with so much before they snap and from the time they are children, men are pushed.
    A combination of genetics, violent media and social conditioning of males creates a perfect storm for a country where guns are too easily available.
    dillinger10 likes this.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

There is no doubt that the male of the species is more prone to violence. The reasons are most likely a combination of genetics, hormones, and cultural influences. Evolutionary neuroandrogenic (ENA) theory, for example, focuses on the hormonal (testosterone) aspect when it comes to aggression and criminal behavior. But it is likely only one piece of the puzzle.
    dillinger10 likes this.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

This is not even a matter of physical strength, even super athletic Martial arts trained woman won't instantly resort to violence. Men can kill even if he is unaware like if he is too drunk. Women collects grudge and anger before she resorts to killing. When a woman resorts to murder, she usually plots and plan some tactic before doing something crazy. I think women were as capable to kill as men but women are more calculative murderers. Majority of female murderers planned everything slowly while majority of male murderers act at he heat of the moment.
      Last edited by Billy; 06-21-2015, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this article. This was really informative. In doing a little more research, it appears that in the US, males are more likely to be the murder victims (76.8%). However, the number of males killed in the UK is lower at 68 percent. In the 44 countries of Europe, the average was 72% male and 28% female.

Another interesting statistic I found was that there are more female serial killers (17 percent) than there are one-time killers (10 percent).

Comment

Sorry for saying this but I got a good laugh with the thread title. It may be true, all right, but the point is the gender equality issue. What I mean is the relevance of the gender in that statistics. So what if only males are killer? And that females are meek and mild? Does that save us from harm? I guess not. Again, pardon me for my comments, just saying my opinion on the subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
            Sorry for saying this but I got a good laugh with the thread title. It may be true, all right, but the point is the gender equality issue. What I mean is the relevance of the gender in that statistics. So what if only males are killer? And that females are meek and mild? Does that save us from harm? I guess not. Again, pardon me for my comments, just saying my opinion on the subject matter.
            So, along with celebrating and taking joy in people dying from drug overdoses, people getting infected with HIV and North Korea suffering through famine, you also find murder to be a laughing matter? If you have to preface any comment with the word sorry, perhaps in future it would be best if you don't post those comments.

As to your second point, that it might be true, did you actually read the article that KimberlyD posted? Those are hard statistics. I am not sure how you can dispute that evidence and use the phrase "it may be true". The point behind the article wasn't so much that 90% of killers are male but why men are more likely to kill than women. The article theorizes that at least part of the reason is due to biological vulnerability. This was the entire point of the article; the reason behind the statistics.

ASurvivor Thank you so much for referencing the Evolutionary Neuroandrogenic theory. I was not aware of this and just took the time to read more into this. Very interesting, indeed. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me on this.
            Last edited by dillinger10; 06-20-2015, 05:16 AM.
            Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

As a women I must admit that Billy is correct in his assessment. Women are more calculative. We plan what we are going more so then react. Men however react in the moment.

Comment

Another thing that is mostly done by men is kidnapping. It seems that women would harm or kill to either protect or defend for the most part; whereas , men have more of the natural predator instinct, because they have traditionally been the hunters. When they turn to killing; it could be just that that natural inclination has gotten warped somehow.

dillinger10, I just want to add that I totally agree with your post, and that making fun of people's suffering , or dying, is in extremely poor taste, and those posts are coming awfully close to hate comments, which are not supposed to be made on this forum.
                Last edited by Tumbleweed; 06-21-2015, 08:24 PM.
                KimberlyD and dillinger10 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
                  Another thing that is mostly done by men is kidnapping. It seems that women would harm or kill to either protect or defend for the most part; whereas , men have more of the natural predator instinct, because they have traditionally been the hunters. When they turn to killing; it could be just that that natural inclination has gotten warped somehow.

dillinger10, I just want to add that I totally agree with your post, and that making fun of people's suffering , or dying, is in extremely poor taste, and those posts are coming awfully close to hate comments, which are not supposed to be made on this forum.
                  Thank you so much for sharing this statistic. I was not aware that the majority of kidnappers are male. In doing a little research, this website has data showing that in non-family abductions, 86 percent of the perpetrators are male. For family abductions, the rate stands at 66 percent.

This thread has brought to light a lot of information that I was not previously aware of.
                  Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

Family abductions is not something that I was even thinking of in relation to kidnapping, dillinger10.
                    You bring up an excellent point, and I agree that this is one place where women would be a goodly amount of the ones taking back their children.

If the state had taken my children, or even someone else in the family was given custody, then I am sure that I would have done anything that I could to get them back, and kidnapping them would have certainly been in the realm of possibility.
                    Since most people who would kidnap a family member are not wishing to do them any harm, or even hold them for ransom; I was not even thinking about this facet of kidnapping.

I do think that for most kidnappings where the intended victim is to be held for ransom, or even sold for profit; it is usually men who are in charge, even though women might be used as part of the abduction scheme.

Comment

They say women can be vicious, but most of that viciousness is to protect their own. Whereas men have a instinct to hunt and kill... an instinct that is left unsatisfied and may manifest in killing sprees for some. Perhaps the reason men are most likely to kill others is because they no longer are able to satisfy this part of themselves with the advancements in technology. They no longer need to hunt for food so they are unable to release their inner abilities which is backfiring on them through psychological problems or violent behavior?

Comment

This is a really interesting and relative topic, I'm not an expert but I think that their genes don't have a lot to do with this... I think that the way that males are raised is more important than genes on this cases, for example: society dictates that man don't need to express their emotions, so they are used to bottle them up and at some point they explode... In the other hand, it's more socially accepted for women to express their emotions, I guess that somehow this has something to do with the fact that not a lot of women are killers. But also, testosterone tends to make you more aggressive...so I'm not that opposed to the gene theory.

Comment

I do not agree with this assessment. Men were designed to be leaders, so naturally men are more inclined to be pro active. Because all people are evil unless until they allow God to change them, everyone will make bad, selfish choices. Women tend to express their anger and hate differently than men. I thought no women are more likely to be verbally and emotionally abusive, where men are more likely to get physical.

Comment

Originally posted by anorexorcist View Post
                            This is a really interesting and relative topic, I'm not an expert but I think that their genes don't have a lot to do with this... I think that the way that males are raised is more important than genes on this cases, for example: society dictates that man don't need to express their emotions, so they are used to bottle them up and at some point they explode... In the other hand, it's more socially accepted for women to express their emotions, I guess that somehow this has something to do with the fact that not a lot of women are killers. But also, testosterone tends to make you more aggressive...so I'm not that opposed to the gene theory.
                            You may be on to something there. Women have the opportunity to express their feelings and ideas because it is acceptable for them to do so. Men however, are raised to believe that it is a sign of weakness for them to express these emotions and so it never gets a chance to b released. This can have a negative psychological impact on anyone.

Comment

But in a country like India, participation of women in crimes is increasing day by day. Women get involved mostly in financial crimes. This must be an indication of changing social scenario in the country. The rise of female criminality in India must be taken as a serious issue for further study.

Comment

Working...
                              X