Drug Overdose Deaths On The Rise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug Overdose Deaths On The Rise

There seems to be an increase in the amount of deaths due to drug overdose in the US over a four year span of 2009 to 2013. In 2013 alone 44,000 reported deaths due to drug overdose was recorded which was double the amount recorded in 1999. Only 6 states were able to reduce the number of deaths from drug overdose, 26 states experienced a increase in their numbers. West Virgina was the highest recorded.
    Deaths by drug overdose have been on the rise in the United States, with a majority of states recording increases from 2009 to 2013, according to a study released on Wednesday.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

This is quite alarming. It means that the use of drugs hasn't been regulated over the years as evidenced by the increase in deaths by drug overdose. Laws regarding purcahse of prescribed and OTC medications should be given due attention as they are needing some revisions. Young people are able to access addictive prescription drugs through their grandparent's medicine cabinets. Some OTC drugs such as cough syrups are also being abused. What can we do to stop these deaths? I guess everything starts at home. Let's start by guiding our young children properly at an early age and have an open communication with them while they are growing up. Drug addiction sometimes results from lack of communication within the home. At least, parents should start drug abuse prevention in their own way by guiding their children well.

Comment

I am a recovered addict myself (note I say recovered not recovering. I overcame!) and I agree that it is definitely alarming and very disturbing. From my perspective and my "I've been there" view here are some things I think would help.
      More raw and gritty programs for both teens and preteens in prevention by sharing horror stories. Ya gotta be real with them to let them know what could happen. Scare tactics DO work.
      More involvement in the medical community. Honestly, drug testing for patients receiving pain management and benzodiazepenes.
      Parents need to woke up, shook up and realize they need to be more involved in what's going on with their kids. Teach them how to recognize the signs of drug abuse.
      LilAnn likes this.

Comment

In the US, we have the war on drugs - but nothing for the root cause or WHY there are so many abusing them. The war on drugs has failed, to use a word for today - Epic Failure!!

Kill the war on drugs and spend that money on education and research as to WHY.

The deaths are only the result of an underlying problem that has yet to be addressed.

Comment

I have some close associations with drug users and addicts so that probably gives me a license to opine on the matter. My take on those deaths by drug overdose is very good. At least the addict is now resting in peace. No more stealing to buy drugs, no more killing due to hallucination, no more weirdness of actions. In the first place, it is the burden of the addict for his addiction - it was his sole action and decision to engage in that vice whether influenced by friends or not. Pardon me for my harsh comments. I'm just being honest.

Comment

I agree with SarahWorksAtHome kids need the raw truth. Parents need to be more involved. We have a failing war against drugs and terrorism because we are tackling the problem rather then finding preventatives. The best way to battle these things is to nip them in the bud to begin with before they become a problem.

Comment

The behavior I've seen today's youth exhibit is like nothing I ever saw when I was a child. Not just drug use, either. Their attitudes and lack of manners would have gotten their ***es beat when I was young. They view sex as just something to do, just like playing video games or watching tv. And I'm not talking about 16 or 17 year olds. But 14 years old. I met a girl who was 12 and had a one year old baby. These things just didnt happen ten years ago. It terrifies me to let my children out of the house at all.

Comment

There's a small minority of parents that actually raise and discipline their children these days, it seems. I'm appalled at how some of my kid's classmates and peers talk to their parents, treat authority and the types of things they do and talk about already at 10-12 years old. My daughter already knows so much more about "street stuff" than I did at her age due to listening to classmates talk. Fortunately, I've been able to be honest and real with her and instill enough wisdom to combat it so she knows truth also, not just what "everybody says" and knows that just because "everybody's doing it" doesn't mean it's okay.
                Where is D.A.R.E. these days? We had that program when I was in school and it was a great program.

Comment

The war on drugs was doomed to fail right from day one. How much money as been spent on trying to crack down on the cartels and trying to limit the amount that is brought in to the country every year? Your talking multiple billions of dollars and then you read statistics like that, so it's plain to see its just simply not working.

While I'm not saying let people smuggle in whatever they want, what I am saying is that if you'd have spent that money on development in communities, then less people would want to take drugs in the first place.

Instead of trying to tackle drugs from the top down with the cartels, start at street level and fix the social problems in the country first and foremost.

Comment

What did ever happen to D.A.R.E? And what about those commercials they used to show "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs. Get the picture?". The problem with kids today is they are spoiled. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." People are afraid to spank their kids and so they end up raising these terrible children that have no morals, standards, or structure in their lives.

Comment

I think that drug abuse is on the rise on a global level. There has been a lot of extra economic hardship over the last few years, and many people didn't just lose livelihood, but also their vision for a better future. I read that there was a strong increase of alcohol consumption during the recent economic crisis. People felt that they needed to numb and self-medicate their daily existential worries in some way, in order to survive.
                      Also, the event of the internet and social media platforms has led to alienation from the real world. Many people feel disconnected from reality these days, and are addicted not just to drugs but also to attention. Taking drugs can give you the illusion of a sense of belonging.
                      KimberlyD likes this.

Comment

There has been a correlation between stress levels and drug usage. I can't remember where I seen the study at but they showed that people who are under higher stress (gang members, poverty, even certain high stress jobs) are most likely to use and become dependent on some type of drug (legal and illegal). There has been a global economic issue recently that has put a lot of people out of work. Many people here in the US lost their homes and became homeless. These types of stress could be the reason for the increase in drug usage which in turn increases the amount of deaths from it.

Comment

It's a shame that the opiate antidote, Narcan isn't more widely available. Narcan has the abiity to reverse an opiate overdose and has saved thousands of lives.

I'd like to see it being routinely carried on ambulances and by paramedics, as well as medical staff in prisons and police stations.

Of course, the real answer to this drugs problem lies in societal change. Narcan can only reverse an overdose, it certainly can't stop people from becoming hooked in the first place.

Comment

That is very sad. I knew someone as a chance is who ended up overdosing on heroin at 26 when he relapsed. He had been clean for quite a while, long enough for his body to lose the tolerance so that his old dosage was an overdose. Just one slip up and he died.

I wish there was more we could do to prevent people from getting hooked in the first place.

Comment

This the first I have heard of Narcan. I was not aware of it at all. When did it come out? Is it available in the US?

Comment

Working...
                              X