No announcement yet.

Escaped Killers On The Loose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank Goodness. Now everyone can sleep better. I hope they put him in maximum security now. He escaped once so he knows it can be done so it would not be a surprise if he tries again in the future.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
      Thank Goodness. Now everyone can sleep better. I hope they put him in maximum security now. He escaped once so he knows it can be done so it would not be a surprise if he tries again in the future.
      Rather alarmingly, Clinton Correctional Facility is classified as a maximum security prison! It is the largest maximum security prison and the third oldest prison in New York.

The Christian Science Monitor published an interesting article this morning that took a deeper look into the possibility that the pair used black pepper to mask their scent from the dogs that were tracking them after authorities recovered David Sweat’s DNA from a discarded pepper shaker at a camp where the fugitives may have spent time.

Comment

According to this article I just read, Sweat stated that Mitchell was in on the whole thing and was suppose to drive them to Mexico after they killed her husband. When Mitchell did not show they headed towards Canada. They are moving Sweat to Dannemora in a few days.

Originally posted by USA Today
        "This is the prison they were threatening the other inmates in the rest of the system with," he told Pressroom. "If you didn't behave you go to Dannemora. Dannemora had a reputation as the toughest prison in the system. It was no country club."
        The condition of recaptured killer David Sweat was upgraded Monday to serious from critical, the Albany Medical Center announced. "Following examination, it was determined by our trauma team

Comment

In this article there are 12 guards that are being placed on leave. This prison break opened the door for discovery of other violations by those manning the prison. One of which they were bringing heron to the prisoners.
          A host of correctional officers and prison executives have been placed on leave from Clinton Correctional facility following the escape of two convicted murderers, authorities said Tuesday.
          dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
            In this article there are 12 guards that are being placed on leave. This prison break opened the door for discovery of other violations by those manning the prison. One of which they were bringing heron to the prisoners.
            With every passing day, this reads more and more like a best selling novel or made-for-TV movie. There are so many new and crazy revelations. The idea that heroin being given to prisoners was mind blowing to me and yet this CNN article backs up such claims with comments from a former Clinton Correctional inmate ("I was in federal, state and county prisons. There wasn't a prison I was in that wasn't heroin-infested") and a one-time guard at Rikers Island who admitted to selling cigarettes and then progressing to cocaine in the jail.

Comment

That's sad, scary but I don't know. I mean, this isn't something new, there's one way to stop killers and it's to raise them up well for them to not even become killers, to love them, just like Christ loved us.

Comment

In a prison you are looking at a cash cow. Most of the prisoners are either on drugs or want them to escape their plight. They have access to goods and money in prison so they can purchase these things from the guards and the guards make a little extra cash on the side. It is sad that our system has become this corrupt. It is getting harder to find honest people these days in these systems.

Comment

Of all the post-mortem articles I have read wrapping up this case, this Buffalo News report may have been the best. It provides a wealth of insights into how everything unfolded and why Mitchell's conscience got the better of her and decided not to go through with the plan to kill her husband and help Sweat and Matt escape to freedom.

On the morning of Friday, June 5, Matt approached Mitchell in the prison tailor shop, where she was the supervisor and he was a worker. He told her the escape was set for that night.

“The escape is on. Pick us up at midnight,” Matt said, according to information Mitchell provided in a series of interviews with authorities. He then handed her two pills intended to incapacitate Lyle Mitchell – also a civilian worker at the prison – before Matt would kill him that night inside the Mitchell home.

“I’m going to take care of the glitch,” Matt said, referring to Lyle Mitchell.

Then they would all be free and, after lying low in West Virginia, drive to Mexico.
                  Along with detailing Sweat's curious relationship with Mitchell, it also provides new information as to how various tools were smuggled in and out of the prison, including slipping hacksaw blades inside sheets of cardboard under the pretext that the cardboard was to be used as the backing for Matt's paintings and sketches.

Comment

She had a relationship with one prisoner then sexual relations with another.... plotted to aid two dangerous men escape prison and have her husband killed. I hope she receives life in prison and her husband is smart enough to file for divorce.

Comment

I know a number of posters in this thread wondered what could have possibly made Joyce Mitchell want to help these two prisoners escape. Well, today, we got at least some answers from Mitchell herself who told investigators that she "enjoyed the attention, the feeling both of them gave me, and the thought of a different life."

"Matt told me they were getting out and we were all going to be together," Mitchell said.

The plan, she said, was that on the day of the escape, she would give her husband two pills that Matt had somehow gotten his hands on.

"These two pills were intended to knock Lyle out so I could leave the house," she said. "After Lyle was asleep, I was supposed to drive to Dannemora and meet them by the powerhouse.

"The agreed upon meeting time was midnight. I was to drive my Jeep and bring my cellphone, gps, clothes, a gun, tents, sleeping bags, hatchet, fishing poles and money from a package I never picked up," she added.

"After I picked them up, the plan was to drive to my home and Inmate Matt was going to kill 'the glitch.' Inmate Matt referred to Lyle as 'the glitch.'"

But Mitchell never showed up to the rendezvous.

"I know I had agreed to help them escape and run away with them, but I panicked and couldn't follow through with the rest of the plan," she explained. "I really do love my husband and he's the reason."
                      More can be read here

Additionally, ABC News provides a few additional tidbits, including revealing Mitchell's plans to drive to a destination 6-7 hours away.

Although Mitchell says she doesn't remember where they were planning on on escaping too, 6-7 hours of drive time would either get them as far as Canada or possibly Ohio. Canada would have made the most sense.

Comment

So basically she was lonely and bored.... sorry if I seem insensitive but that is no excuse for her actions. A lot of people could have gotten hurt or killed, not just her husband, as a result of what she had done. If they had, she would have been just as guilty of the action as those who performed the deed.

Comment

Working...
                        X