No announcement yet.

Artificial Intelligence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere, it might even have been here on this forum, that a robot attacked a factory worker in Germany. So, what happened there? Why couldn't this robot be controlled by ordinary means? And how come it attacked a human? Obviously, there was some kind of systems failure, as I doubt that this particular robot was sophisticated enough to somehow develop a sudden system of its own, or that had the ability to reprogram itself.

Comment

Well, I hope that the humans of the future will be smart enought to put some limits of the capability that a robot or android can do and think. For example if we manage to build a robot that has feelings why we shouldn't be able to remove from their mind the hate and the fact of killing someone?

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        I read somewhere, it might even have been here on this forum, that a robot attacked a factory worker in Germany. So, what happened there?
        The thread you may be thinking of is here. The article linked in said has details regarding the incident.
        "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Recently, Stephen Hawking did an AMA on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/science/com...ephen_hawking/) and the users have asked him a lot of interesting questions about AI. He'll respond to them soon, so if you want some more insight about this topic I suggest you keep an eye on that thread.

Comment

I think as of now there is nothing to worry about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and it is too long to become a reality. But technology is being developed at such fast pace that the possibility of smart AI cannot be ruled out in future. Scientists are still on a surprise mode about the recent killing of a man by a robot in the Wolkswagen plant in Germany. It just grabbed and crushed him to death. Is it mere chance or there is something else in it?

Comment

As long as we are smart enough to program them correctly, it's not going to happen any time soon. Besides, even if a group of AI machines started killing people, the power of the world's population would easily destroy them. AI also need electricity to run and will eventually need to recharge, so cutting the power supply or blasting an electromagnetic pulse should help if such a thing happened. One thing that could happen is some bad guy or terrorist group could build an army of sorts of AI robots and control them, therefore eliminating casualties. But by the time this happens, the US army or any other military group would probably use robots too. One thing that could happen that can have serious effects is a rogue AI in software form, not physical form. Roaming the internet, messing things up and eventually destroying the internet itself. Take the movie Transendence for example, a similar thing happened when Johnny Depp's mind was uploaded onto the internet. I doubt it will ever get to the stage showcased in the Terminator movies though. We, as people, can overcome any sort of computer or power because at the end of the day - we created them.

Comment

Thank you Asurvivor for posting a link to the real story.
                Looks like amethyst is wrong, a robot never attacked anyone. The man was killed by a machine, but it was human error that caused it.
                It is quite disingenuous to say that "a robot attacked a factory working." Attack implies someone took a deliberate action to hurt someone else. Robots don't think, they just do what we tell them too. So there isn't actually anyway a robot could attack someone, only the operator of the robot can attack.
                That's like getting into a truck and driving it into the front of a store and stealing things, then saying the truck attacked and robbed the store.
                Of course the truck didn't, a person did. Truck was just a tool.

Comment

Something that might have a superior intelligence and that might have free will is a bit scary. On the bright side, if nothing bad happens, they could be used to solve problems that we are currently not capable of solving. It could change the speed of human evolution, it could make the world a better place by ending social problems. The amount of things that would change if we have a really capable AI is huge.

Comment

Working...
                  X