Artificial Intelligence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Intelligence

Stephen Hawking is the one I believe who said that A.I could potentially be an issue in the future. Perhaps computers are able to have enough knowledge to create havoc on our world. I really don't see this happening. But I suppose its a possibility. Hollywood has exaggerated this. But does anyone else think that AI could be a potential disaster in the future?

If "AI" works as it is expected to, we should take Hawking's warning to heart. Once your code has reached the tipping point and can "learn", there is no way to stall or slow the process of the AI and computer from overtaking our own human ability to compute and exploit things. Factor in that "things" are now given IP addresses and computational power and you have an arena for the human and the AI thought process to merge and move beyond our ability to "outprogram" the computer.

Don't forget that much of last century's sci-fi, is now our take for granted reality.

I think that we are quickly reaching the point where AI and robotics need to be watched, carefully, as they themselves may not present the disaster, but a quick mind with bad intent and $$$ combining with the duo WILL present a prescient disaster.
    fcphdJim and galmal like this.

Comment

I have to agree with kd3pc - with technology growing the way it has, we really don't know what is possible or not. Just a few decades ago, no one would have ever imagined cell phones or artificial hearts. We live in a science-fiction world, one where if it can be imagined, there's the possibility of it existing. Then you add in the human elements of power, greed and evil - and who's to say what will happen. Computers have more "intelligence" than humans - by that I mean more computer power. If we program them to think for themselves and then allow them to take action (which is quite possible, even now), who knows what will happen.
      kd3pc likes this.

Comment

This is quite interesting. I think the risk comes from someone who could create some sort of program that could wreak havoc everywhere. Basically some sort of virus that has the capability of touching anything that has a computer. With Wi-Fi and being to transmit wirelessly, the future could see people able to send viruses and things wirelessly as well. I just hope we don't become too dependent on machines. Its scarier thinking about what would happen if all of a sudden we had no computers.

Comment

Of course there's a possibility of disaster with A.I. I think we would be naive to think otherwise. With something potentially so powerful, we need to take precautions to ensure that something won't go wrong. Steve is a genius, we should listen to what he has to say :P I personally think it is a scary concept and will lead to great destruction.
          kd3pc likes this.

Comment

AI could very well could become a danger to humans. I think it will be some time yet, but AI is pretty much a given barring another disaster that sets back technology for decades. Even then, there will be people with the resources working on it in isolation.

Just my opinion.
            Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
            (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

I have never been a big fan of AI technology. As long as they place parameters that the AI CAN NOT overwrite or that does not conflict with one another, I guess AI's are not so bad. But if you do not create the parameters correctly then it could be a disastrous situation.

My theory... we need to stop finding ways to avoid having to think and do for ourselves and concentrate on solving the issues around us.

Comment

I guess AI has that possibility of it being dangerous but it won't happen unless humans become more responsible specially with our creations. From the way I see it, an AI will have to be nurtured. It is taught just like how we teach children to understand things as they grow. But an AI's learning ability can be very restricted seeing that emotion plays a huge part of everything we've learned in life. And I believe, as long as they remain just machines, they can never beat humans. On a slightly different note...

Is creating artificial intelligence the same as cloning the human mind?

Comment

A few more thoughts on AI.

Anything that depends on humans showing restraint and maintaining critical standards can almost be guaranteed to be abused. No matter what standards might be enacted to control the dangers of AI, there will be people that violate them, intentionally. And that does not take into account the accidents that can happen.

Once the AI reaches a certain level, it will not matter what a programmer has done, the intelligence will be able to reprogram itself. A computer simply cannot work without re-write capability. If it is a simple application program that cannot rewrite, it is not AI. AI can only work with given the ability to change itself. That is what intelligence is.

One of the problems with AI becoming dangerous is that it can be developed without incorporating emotions. That can allow an AI to act without considering the emotional aspects of the decision. But it can be a strength in some situations, as well, as leaving emotions out of some decision making processes is much better than allowing them in. Such as anger. Decisions made with anger influencing them can be some very bad ones.

While some AI programming attempts to re-create human intelligence, including the emotional aspects of it. But much of the AI R&D specifically exclude emotions in order to create a purer logic system that can make decisions using only 'practical' elements.

And Computer AI is in no way the same as human brain cloning. Human brain cloning is a biological process. Computer AI is, at least currently, physical hardware with no biological components. There could, at some point, be attempts to disassociate a cloned human brain or portions thereof, from human body sensory inputs and outputs in order to use the basic processing capability to receive and process other types of inputs and produce other types of outputs. However, because of both the moral objections of human cloning, especially of the brain, and the fact that processing density of modern computer circuitry is rapidly approaching that of the human brain, the drive to do it may lessened. Though there will always be some that will want to try just to see if it can be done.

Just my opinion.
                  Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
                  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

If you guys are talking about worrying over some kind of AI rebelling like Skynet did in Terminator, I think there is always a possibility for it to happen if we do not strictly program machines to do only what we want them to do and not to do what we do not like them to do. Sure they will become smarter and smarter, but we need to have some kind of (base code) to limit in what area they can think. For example, if you program a machine to do fishing, it can think for itself new ways to fishing more efficiently but not thinking anything else beyond fishing. Or we can simply have base code to make sure they will always be loyal to humans and never harm humans.

However, I do not believe a Skynet can be made with current technology... not within decades at least. A lot of science fiction movies always overestimated the speed we advance. Back to the Future for example, predicted we should have flying cars by now, and it obviously hasn't happen nor it will happen in near future.

Anyway, I believe we should have strict laws on how to program artificial intelligence. It should be more strict than the law on cloning humans.

Comment

Hollywood has exaggerated the idea of artificial intelligence for over 30 years. Anyone here remember the original Terminator movie? the idea has been played out time and time again. Fear and tragedy make good entertainment and great for news ratings.

Sure scientist are getting more and more sophisticated with A.I., but to say that it is in the near future I think hangs on the brink of paranoia. Everyone is so worried about machines running a muck, when we should be worrying about men killing each other like what's happening now.

Comment

For now, I think that Artificial Intelligence is not that a risk or threat to humans at all, but if humans will continue to create AIs to substitute human work, then that would be a problem. If this will persist, there will be a time that humans cannot even walk without the aid of them.

Comment

As of now, i can sense that one day computers would enslave humanity and this can be true or it would happen if we continue creating bot with independent mind. There is a big possibility of the slavery of the human race

Comment

I am not threatened, Artificial Intelligence won't be a threat if they will be limited just like Siri. Siri is very useful but she is harmless. She is not intelligent enough to hold grudges. If we will have AI that will be superior than Siri, then make that AI submissive to humans but still limited. Most AI don't have emotion so they won't become a threat at all.

Comment

I'm not sure if artificial intelligence could be that dangerous for our future, it's true that basically everything in this generation is managed by computers or another technology related devices, and it seems almost impossible to imagine a world without computers, but I'm not sure if at one point we couldn't handle this situation anymore, because if we can't deal with this then it's probable that we ended up without living for being always in touch with artificial intelligence all the time...I just hope that we are smart enough to know how to deal with this situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X