Asteroid. What would you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asteroid. What would you do?

So we have all seen films where there is an asteroid about to destroy the earth? Some people could be saved, but most will perish. The movies always portray things different from real life in my opinion. So my question to everyone is, how do you think people would really act if they found out that life would be gone in a few months or so? Would they go crazy and start rioting? Would they turn to churches? Or would they just do nothing? Its a very interesting question. Crime would concern me because some people would figure they could commit crime because there would no good consequences. What would you in this situation? Would you hide out and just act normal?

Great question! I don't think I could simply do nothing. Some people would definitely find religion - clinging on the hope they can get to heaven, or wherever. I think others would go on a crime rampage and do all the things they never dared to do before for fear of getting into trouble. That would be a terrible way for the world to end though - in the midst of a riot.

Comment

We cannot do anything than just stay put and hope,but if our technology goes a notch higher like positioning a twin 3D-capable, solar-powered, high resolution radar system positioned above and below the ecliptic it can be a robust detection system, since ground-based observation and satellites stationed in Earth orbit can't detect objects coming in from behind the sun.
      our current telescopic detection systems are woefully bad or improper.

Comment

If I knew that the world was ending and that everyone would be going together, I would have a great time! I would see all my friends and family, I would party like there's no tomorrow (and that would be very apt...) and I would make peace with myself and everyone else. If we're all going, what is there to hang onto?
        galmal likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Onionman View Post
          If I knew that the world was ending and that everyone would be going together, I would have a great time! I would see all my friends and family, I would party like there's no tomorrow (and that would be very apt...) and I would make peace with myself and everyone else. If we're all going, what is there to hang onto?
          You speak sense gentleman,but would you never try to escape or save yourself from the impending disaster,would you throw away your life without a try..? Just asking so that i get your perception as a comparison.

Comment

An asteroid impact is possible and has in fact happened in the past with devastating results. The Cretaceous-–Paleogene extinction event, for example, wiped out of the planets species.

Tangentially, the classic "end of the world as we know it" book Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle is about a fictional comet impact. If one hasn't read it, it is worth checking out.
            Last edited by ASurvivor; 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM.
            "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I would try to hide out if I knew it was coming, but one never knows if you are going to survive the impact. There is not much you can do. If I survive, well I would just pick up the pieces and carry on where I left off. Human beings have an incredible survival instinct and an overcoming spirit.

Comment

I thought humans have the technology to track asteroids, especially those that are near earth objects. Though, in order to protect earth, we need to deploy missions to do asteriod redirect missions. Blowing them up will make things work.

Going back, hmm, I guess I will do my best to increase my chances. Prep enough and find a place that can help protect myself until the after effects of an asteroid hit is gone. Though, I think a lot will cling to religion in this case.

Comment

I would probably try to prepare and have a pace to go for "safety" even if I knew it would be fruitless. I'd like to feel like I was still able to do something. I'd imagine crime rates would be extremely high, especially theft and looting, because the workers wouldn't want to stay at their posts just to make sure people weren't stealing. I think that if you wanted to get anything, you'd have to steal it. I'm such a planner and I'm already planning what would be in my satchel that I'd take with me. I'd have a blanket, a few boxes of matches, LED flashlight, bottle for water that has a filter on it, some food to hold me over until I can catch my own, a knife for hunting or protection, and possibly a gun, though I'd have to take a training course first because It'd be pointless and heavy to have a gun and not know how to use it properly.

All of this is assuming I'm alone and don't have a child to think about. I haven't even begun thinking about that scenario...

Comment

Originally posted by Onionman View Post
                    I agree. If possible, I would gather my loved ones around me and enjoy what time we had left. I really don't think I would want to survive a global catastrophe - to me, there needs to be some quality of life. I don't think I could handle the suffering, disease, famine, riots and violence that you would see if something like this happened. I guess I'm just not a "survive at all costs" type of person.

Comment

This is sort of funny. I wrote a fictional story about this. It was a comet, instead of an asteroid, but the premise is the same. The story shows how people in different walks of life would react with only three days to live. Some went to family members that they had disowned. Many run to the churches. Some people head to the bars, and have sex on the streets, and plan to go out with a bang. There are still others that meet the middle ground, and don't know what else to do than just go to work, as silly as that sounds. Of course, there are riots and looting. But what would be the point of looting unless it was drugs or alcohol? But who is to say that people would be thinking and behaving logically when there was only three days left?

Comment

Everything the in the OP would occur, by different groups of people. If I was in the impact zone I would activate my long range bug-out plan. If I was well outside the impact zone I would activate my bug-in plan.

Just my opinion.
                        Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
                        (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

I really don't think that there is much we can do if an asteroid strikes the planet. Yes, we can track them, but we don't have any resources to do anything about it.

Spirituality is a big part of my life so that area would change. I would definitely stop working so hard. I would reach out to my friends and family. I would spend my time with them. I have tons of cousins that I haven't met. I would love to meet them. I keep putting it off. I would reach out to people I have lost contact with. These are the most important things to me....God, family and friends.

Comment

We cannot do anything because an asteroid can cause catastrophic damage and is a threat to man kind. No type of preparedness could get you ready for an asteroid strike also. We all just have to pray that it never happens in our life time, but it is possible. Also it depends on the size of the asteroid. A small one could potentially kill all life forms as well.

Comment

I suppose I'd go for higher ground and take my family with me. Look for a cave in a mountain somewhere. Bring supplies, and seeds. I don't know what the climate will be after impact so I'll base my next moves after the fact. That is, if we survive the impact. Another option would be to go underground, but I think that's a little more dangerous. You could find yourself trapped for the rest of your days, or your shelter could get flooded. I think it's better to go for higher ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X