Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexico expands search for 43 missing students, feared dead.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [World/Regional Conflict] Mexico expands search for 43 missing students, feared dead.

Students who were involved with protests earlier in the month have still not been found. The students were last known to be in conflict with police authorities, and then disappeared with no trace.
    A mass grave that was found in the area was first thought to be the missing students; but actually turned out to be totally different people , believed to have been murdered by the drug gangs in that area of Mexico.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ents/17339977/

Oh my. That's a pretty scary thought when you stumble over a mass grave when looking for a bunch of people only to find out it's a bunch of other people who have been murdered. Tragic. I don't have much hope for those poor students. It often seems like this is a place that is completely out of control.

Comment

Events like this make me even more glad to live in a country like the United States. We have plenty of problems but we have it great compared to a lot other places in the world. Such as Mexico. The government down there is very corrupt, and the drug gangs are massacering people practically every day.

Comment

Man :/ Can you imagine if they found all of them, deceased, in the same spot? Or scattered in the surrounding area?

I don't know what the government or the political system in Mexico is like but I have heard it's pretty much terrible and terrifying...I hope they find them soon, or at least find out what happened to them.

Comment

This is still bothering me. That's just an awful lot of people to go missing. How do they get away with this stuff? Does the UN have anything to do with stuff like this, some way to hold the government accountable? There has got to be an ungodly number of human rights violations...

Comment

BBC News published an article that includes an interview with Omar Garcia, one of the students that witnessed the deadly clashes. This makes for some terrifying reading.

Garcia believes that "the municipal police took them - what we think happened is that they kept them somewhere and then, as we say, "disappeared" them - like so many thousands of others in this country who are missing." This is all very sad. I really do hope that the missing 43 students are found and that there will be answers and those responsible held accountable.

Comment

Why would the police want people to disappear? Are they that paranoid that these students are going to bring down the government or something? From what I have heard the government in Mexico is such a mess they are not able to handle the drug cartel problem at all. So much violence goes on there, is it any wonder so many people have immigrated illegally to the US? I would probably be tempted too if I was in a dangerous area and didn't see any other way to get out of it.

Comment

It truly is a tragedy down in Mexico. It's unsettling to think about where they are right now, and what happened to them. I was thinking about this earlier... Why doesn't America do something about it? We're neighboring countries. Mexican gangs distribute much of the drugs that cross over into America. With help from other countries we could turn Mexico into a democracy and stop the easy flow of drugs. That aside, those students... I hope they're okay.. I doubt it though. They were probably killed by gangs, or maybe the government? Do people from there get sold as sex slaves? I wouldn't know. They might have figured out they make more money by selling people to ISIS.

Comment

Members of the farmer brigades searching for the missing students - calling themselves "community police" uncovered five mass graves filled with corpses though none of the bodies are believed to be those of the missing 43 students. Another half dozen secret burial sites are being tested to determine the origins of the remains inside.

“Hey, hey, it’s a spine,” one of the men, part of a citizen police patrol, called out last week, fishing out what appeared to be a piece of spinal column. Soon came other fragments — a rib? a knee bone?

Even with hundreds of soldiers, federal officers, state personnel and local residents on the trail, the search has still not confirmed what happened to the missing students. Instead, it has turned up something just as chilling: a multitude of clandestine graves with unknown occupants right on the outskirts of town, barely concealing the extensive toll organized crime has taken on this nation.

Leaning on a shovel, Miguel Ángel Jiménez, a leader of the community police, said he doubted the students could have been buried in this spot because the growth of weeds over it looked thicker than a few weeks would produce.
                  Continue reading the main story

“But even if it is not them, we can’t let these graves go unsolved,” he said, bringing a halt to the digging. “Once we find some bones, we stop and let the forensic investigators come in.”

It will take a couple of weeks for the authorities to test all of the new remains discovered in recent days. Prosecutors have confirmed that the corpses and remains in at least five mass graves uncovered so far are human, but they have not yet tied them to any of the students.

On Friday, acting again on tips from residents, the farmer brigades searched a hilly trail, looking for caves in which residents believe bodies were left. Along the way, they found what appeared to be a safe house for a gang, littered with bottles, old clothes, candles and a portrait of Jesús Malverde, a gang icon.
                  Read more of the chilling article published by the New York Times

Comment

What a chilling thought, to be looking for the bodies of a big group of people, only to find the mass graves of completely different sets of people.
                    Organized crime really is rampant in Mexico.

Comment

Federal police have disarmed local police in Iguala and Cocula, and arrested a total of 36 police officers. Both the mayor and police chief of Iguala are fugitives and accused of links to the local drug cartel, Guerreros Unidos, believed to have worked with police in disappearing the students. The International Red Cross is also involved in the search for the missing students as federal police stepped up their efforts to find those still missing.

The Mexican government announced rewards Monday of 1.5 million pesos ($111,000) for information on 43 students from a rural teachers' college who have been missing since Sept. 26.
                      Related Stories

The government ran full-page ads in Mexican newspapers with pictures of the 43 young men. The government also offered 1.5 million pesos for information on those who had abducted or killed the students.

The government says it still does not know what happened to the students of the radical teachers' college, after they were rounded up by local police and allegedly handed over to gunmen from a drug cartel.

About 50 people have been arrested or detained in the case, including police officers and suspected members of the Guerreros Unidos cartel.
                      http://news.yahoo.com/federal-police...044218279.html

Comment

Mexican Government need to crack down on this crazy cartel related murders and wrongdoings, but then again, I have many suspicions to place the Mexican Government as allowing all these violent incidents to happen, but on their own terms and conditions with the cartels - this is not conspiracy, such business relationships have been ongoing for centuries now, get over the naive assumption that Government entities do not involve themselves with drug trafficking, because they all do. Politics, is all about politics, and uses ethics merely to stir people to be galvanized in their beliefs to a Government entity - meaning, Mexican politicians must deal with cartels, whether it be in opposition, with, or a middle-ground as in,"You do your dirty business and keep the murdering up to a certain threshold, and we take a preconditioned tax fee."

When my sister and brother lived near El Paso, Texas, they used to see news reports almost every day about Mexicans being murdered and their heads placed on poles all over the adjacent Mexico city of Juarez. After a three years of loving there, my brother moved back in with me and my sister left to another less crazy area of the U.S.A.

Comment

That's a serious humanitarian crisis brewing out there in Mexico. Their society's heavily laced with drug lords with drug becoming an ordinary commodity and a regular source of livelihood. Crimes of severe magnitude have also cropped up as a result, not to mention the rising number of gangs and murderers in the country. If no one intervenes while a lot can still be done, this country may end up so dysfunctional to the point of no return.

Comment

I can't stand sensationalism, especially when it comes to missing humans, but I read an article this morning that mentioned that the bodies of the missing students were made to disappear with chemical agents. Whichever way it goes, I still hope that the students might be found alive.
                            I can't imagine how detrimental it must be to suddenly have a family member disappear without a trace. Furthermore, finding a mass grave while looking for the students, is absolutely heart breaking. That's all I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                              I can't stand sensationalism, especially when it comes to missing humans, but I read an article this morning that mentioned that the bodies of the missing students were made to disappear with chemical agents. Whichever way it goes, I still hope that the students might be found alive.
                              I can't imagine how detrimental it must be to suddenly have a family member disappear without a trace. Furthermore, finding a mass grave while looking for the students, is absolutely heart breaking. That's all I can say.
                              That is an interesting theory, amethyst. I have not heard or read any articles that reference the possibility that the bodies were essentially dissolved. Do you have a link to the article or remember where you read this to? I would be very interested in reading this. I guess if this were to have happened then the bodies would have been dissolved with lye aka sodium hydroxide.

Comment

Working...
                              X