No announcement yet.

Over 300 Campers Evacuated - California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rocky fire in Lake County has now grown to 22,500 acres and is still only five percent contained. According to the latest reports 8,000 firefighters have now been deployed across the state to combat the two dozen wildfires that are currently burning. Highway 20 has now been closed in both directions, new mandatory evacuations have been imposed and a state of emergency has been declared.

KCRA reports that the fire has destroyed three buildings and the National Guard has sent a fleet of eight helicopters to back up the fire crews.

Hopefully none of our California residents are being affected by these ongoing wildfires.

Comment

Most likely (recalling my experience there), there will be a lot of smoke in the air that will cause discomfort and difficulty breathing for some. When I was there my eyes watered a lot and I had issues breathing. The fire was in San Bernandino and I was in Los Angeles at the time. Even at that distance, we were effected.
      Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
      Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

The Rocky Fire continues to spread at an alarming rate with the latest reports indicating that the wildfire has now burned about 47,000 acres (18,615 hectares) and forced the closure of two highways. Most troubling is the news that the fire has grown in size by about 20,000 acres (8,094 hectares) since Saturday and has now destroyed 24 homes and 26 more outbuildings, while posing a threat to an additional 6,301 structures.

Comment

While continuing to follow the latest news and updates regarding the wildfires that continue to spread across California, I read today that a total of 13,000 people have been either forced to evacuate or warned to leave since last Wednesday. The wildfire has now grown to more than 101 square miles with claims of smoke rising more than 300 feet in the air. A total of 6,900 homes are being threatened, though it is hoped that the cooler weather will help to build a buffer between the flames and the homes in question.

Reading the news about so many people taking up temporary residency in evacuation shelters made me re-check to ensure I knew where the closest evacuation shelters are in my area. For those that live in disaster prone areas, are you aware of the location of your closest evacuation shelter(s)?

Comment

I came across this article with a slide show of images from the Rocky Fire and thought you guys might be interested in seeing them. It is pretty gruesome to look at. The fire is engulfing everything in its path and there are images of the firefighters trying to fight the fire. Here is also a article about a firefighter who died in the line of duty, but I am unsure if they died in the same fire or a different fire in California. 2nd firefighter dies fighting California wildfires

View the Wildfires rage across California photo gallery on Yahoo News. Find more news related pictures in our photo galleries.
            Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
            Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Working...
            X