200 People Rescued From Blaze - Athens Greece

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wildfires] 200 People Rescued From Blaze - Athens Greece

200 people were rescued by firefighters in Athens from a wildfire being fed by strong winds.

Originally posted by The Star
    Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said Greece had requested help from his country’s army and air force, as well as the European emergency response centre, to fight the blazes.
    From what the article says, there are wildfires popping up in various areas around Athens and several villages have been evacuated so far. If the Prime Minister is calling for the army and air force for help it must be a major fire that they can't get under control.
    Firefighters battle large fires in the south of Greece, on the outskirts of Athens and on an island near the capital.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Most beaches in Greece are actually in coves with hills on the other 3 sides. I could see how one could get trapped there with heat and smoke from the fire making life for you almost unbearable.Its more like a no escape and no source of water or food.

Comment

There was some good news this morning as it was reported that firefighters had successfully brought two of the wildfires under control. However, the good news was tempered by the fact that a new fire broke out on the island of Skyros.

Police have arrested two men who they believe accidentally started the wildfire when they lit a fire to smoke bees out of their hives in an attempt to collect honey.

The article mentions that almost 80 fires broke out and a total of 35 homes were destroyed.
      Susan likes this.

Comment

80 fires? I can see how one of them might have been started by those 2 men but what of the other 78 fires? Not to mention, the fires are all over the place and not one that is moving along. Do you think that maybe there are people starting these fires deliberately?

Comment

From everything I had read today (here, here and here) authorities believe that the wildfires spread so quickly due to the strong winds, this is also complicating matters somewhat as there is a high-risk of the fires re-starting because of these winds.

As to whether the fires spread from the initial fire that was deliberately started or there were multiple fires, investigators believe there is a possibility of these being asymmetric threats. The EuroNews article that I linked to, seems to believe that there were two or three individual fires that were deliberately started and they spread so quickly due to the strong winds causing a total of 79 fires.

Comment

• petesede
            petesede commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, you cannot fail to factor in all the politican and economical stress that is going on in that country right now, this could be like a terrorist attack or form of demonstration against the current gov´t.

Reuters reports that two people have died so far as a result of the wildfires. An off-duty policeman who had gone missing after going out for a walk was found dead this morning while another person died after inhaling fumes.

Three communities, two summer camps, a convent and an orphanage in the town of Neapolis have been completely evacuated, thankfully, just in time as a neighborhood playground was razed later in the day.

A photo from Neapolis can be seen below:

Photo Copyright: VOA News

Comment

Wow! Look at that sky. I will not be surprised when reports of breathing issues start rolling in. Illnesses that derive from smoke inhalation are a common occurrance when there is a fire nearby, but that smoke cover is going to cause some serious issues. Especially among the very young and elderly,

Comment

The Greek Reporter says that more than 40 houses were damaged in the city of Neapoli and more than 10,000 olive trees were burned. As a result, residents setup an IndieGoGo campaign in the hopes of raising funds for repairs and for the people who fell victims of the fire. The fire was still raging on Sunday preventing the local hospital from accepting new patients. Several hotels in the area rallied together and offered hospitality to the elderly whose homes were lost in the fire. It is always heartwarming to see communities rally together during trying times such as these.

Comment

This video just came across my news feed and it was so stunning that I had to share it. I am not sure if anyone else has seen the incredible video of a pilot that somehow prevented a helicopter crashing into a residential area. If not, I have embedded two videos below showing different angles. The helicopter was battling the wildfires in Lakonia when suddenly it spun out of control. Incredibly, the pilot saved the helicopter from crashing and prevented serious damage to residents and homes.

Video Copyright: Saboter7

Video Copyright: Saboter7

Comment

Oh man, that is intense. That is a very good pilot. If he/she had not been quick that could have turned into another disaster and may even have spread the fires more. My hat goes off to that pilot.

Comment

I am glad to hear that the government is acting quickly to evacuate people. Wild fires mow down everything in their wake. If the conditions, e.g. wind and temperatures, are right, you can find yourself trapped inside a bush fire before you know it and die from the intense heat or smoke inhalation. I have seen places go up in smoke within minutes, and there was nothing that could be done, but to run. Even that is dangerous, as you don't know from which side the fire will be closing in on you next.
                    I hope that the damage won't be too big in Athens, and that people will be able to return to their homes as soon as possible. Greece is already troubled enough as it is.

Comment

I think one of the issues that may arise from this is the financial impact. They are already suffering economically, with this fire.... tourism may be slowed and may even be at a stand still. This would mean they would not be able to bring more money in to help with the repairs and to try and recover they economy. Not to mention the exports that would be put on hold because of the fires. I wonder if those fires are effecting many of the exported goods?

Comment

Working...
                      X