Several fires in northern Idaho.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several fires in northern Idaho.

There are a number of fires burning in northern Idaho right now, too. The area usually gets a heavy snowpack in the mountains over the winter, and this year, they did not get much snow.
    Now, they are also struggling with the 100+ heat wave.

I grew up in Sandpoint, along the shores of beautiful Lake Pend Oreille, and was shocked to look at Facebook just now and read that there is a serious fire along the lake just south of Sandpoint.
    The fire is moving along the lake and they are already evacuating some of the residents near there
    They are alerting people in Sandpoint, although the lake should keep the fire from going across and into the city itself.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-evacuations/
    fcphdJim likes this.

Thanks for sharing that. I've been so caught up in all the fires around my area, and in reading about Oregon and Alaska fires, that I didn't even realize Idaho had some too. I hope they get them knocked down soon. That's a beautiful area.
    Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

The fire in Northern idaho has now covered more than 2,000 acres, burned several homes, and caused large evacuations in the area.
      Lake Pend Oreille is a large and very deep lake; so at least they can get water to dump on the fire very close by.

The Bayview area is an area of expensive lake homes, and even the marinas along the edge of the lake are burning because the fire is right on the lake.
      There are some excellent pictures of the fire in this link from the local news media.

http://www.khq.com/story/29478269/ca...omes-destroyed

Comment

Im so sorry, it's really hard to hear about your home area being destroyed by fires. I know a friend whose favorite childhood backpacking area burned last year and she was in tears when she hears about that. It will grow back one day, but it will never be the same. I hope they get it under control fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingLady View Post
          Im so sorry, it's really hard to hear about your home area being destroyed by fires. I know a friend whose favorite childhood backpacking area burned last year and she was in tears when she hears about that. It will grow back one day, but it will never be the same. I hope they get it under control fast.
          The latest report on this fire is that it is now about 40% under control, and they expect to have it out by next week, providing that all goes as planned.
          Although several of the expensive luxery homes along the lakeshore were destroyed; it has not affected the naval station at bayview, where they cinduct submarine experiments.
          I remember driving across the bridge with my parents as a child, and seeing the submarines suddenly surface on the water of lake Pend 0reille. At first they would just look like a big driftwood log, but then you could see the periscope on top, and they would suddenly disappear as fat as they had appeared.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0PJ2W520150709

Comment

Working...
          X