Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire in Washington State forces evacuations.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire in Washington State forces evacuations.

A serious brushfire has broken out near the town of Wenatchee , Washington.
    The fire forced the evacuation of all of the residents in north Wenatchee, and livestock was being moved to a nearby fairgrounds for safety. Homes in the area are being threatened by the fast-moving fire as well.

The fire is burning near the main highway, and motorists are requested to avoid that area for their own safety, and also because the firefighters are struggling to get this fire under control before it spreads further into the forests around the area.
    Most of Washington State is having a heat wave right now, with some places having temperatures of over 100 F , so this is a very bad time for the fire to be out of control.

http://www.krem.com/story/news/local...omes/29445389/
    dillinger10 likes this.

It's looking ugly right now. Last I heard, 29 homes had burned and a fruit packaging plant is currently on fire. The plant has a huge amount of wooden crates and other fuel, as well as toxic chemicals. Much of the area has been evacuated. This is right on the edge of the city too, so many more structures are in danger.

Fortunately today is a little cooler, with spotty rain showers, but the last three days have been 100+ degrees. Wenatchee has been several degrees warmer than here, including about 110 degrees yesterday. With the wind kicking up a bit we will probably get smoke from the fire filtering into our valley later today. The entire region will have lousy air quality to go along with humid conditions and temperatures back into the 90s tomorrow.

I really hope they get this fire under control before it turns into a repeat of the Carlton Complex!
    dillinger10 and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

I was also reading that people were told to shut themselves inside their homes and turn off any air-conditioning units, due to am ammonia leak from the burning fruit packaging plant. With the temperature over 100F out there, that would have not been a good thing either. It is good that the ammonia has at least dissipated.

Seattle Times is reporting that the fruit plant is in the same area; but officials do not know if it was started as a result of the wildfire, or if it was just coincidental.
      With this being around the time that a lot of the summer fruit crops (cherries, peaches) are starting to ripen, it would also be a terrible financial loss if the orchards were to be in the path of the fire.

I am praying with you, fcphdJim, that they can get this fire under control and out before it explodes and does a lot more damage.

Comment

The fire is really out of control. Last monday, it rained and it gave relief to the people though the fire did not stop because after the rain , the fire just keeps on blazing growing bigger and bigger. The fire is hard to stop. Here are some photos of the wildfires I found on Yahoo News :
        View the Washington wildfire photo gallery on Yahoo News. Find more news related pictures in our photo galleries.

Comment

it sounds like they have the fire at least under control now, and residents are being allowed to return to their homes ------- and in some cases, to return to what used to be their homes. While the loss of homes was devastating; it appears that there were no casualties, and the fire is under control.
          At this point, however, it is still unknown what exactly started the fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/30...hington-state/
          fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
            it sounds like they have the fire at least under control now, and residents are being allowed to return to their homes ------- and in some cases, to return to what used to be their homes. While the loss of homes was devastating; it appears that there were no casualties, and the fire is under control.
            At this point, however, it is still unknown what exactly started the fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/30...hington-state/
            It was heartwarming to read the comments by those affected by the wildfire. Seeing the bigger picture after returning home to charred property and vehicles says a lot about a persons outlook on life. Tom Bryant perhaps said it best in that report, "It hurts, but it's just stuff." Those sentiments are echoed by his neighbor: "Everybody's safe, and the animals are good... We've got insurance." They have shown a tremendous amount of inner fortitude when faced with such adversity.

This article by KFOR reports that approximately 4,000 homes remain under a Level 2 evacuation order, lets hope that they are not asked to leave and no further damages occur.
            Tumbleweed likes this.

Comment

dillinger10 what is really impressive is to say that after losing a vintage Shelby Mustang! That would be tough to replace, even with insurance. You're right; those are some great attitudes. It's also good to see the community in Wenatchee pull together to help each other much like the area around the Carlton Complex last year.

I will continue to follow this story (and any other nearby fires) with great interest due to its relative proximity. I appreciate how you and Tumbleweed always post frequent informative updates on all things disaster-related.
              dillinger10 and Tumbleweed like this.

Comment

Originally posted by fcphdJim View Post
                dillinger10 what is really impressive is to say that after losing a vintage Shelby Mustang! That would be tough to replace, even with insurance. You're right; those are some great attitudes. It's also good to see the community in Wenatchee pull together to help each other much like the area around the Carlton Complex last year.

I will continue to follow this story (and any other nearby fires) with great interest due to its relative proximity. I appreciate how you and Tumbleweed always post frequent informative updates on all things disaster-related.
                Although the article doesn't give the year of the vintage Shelby Mustang, doing a little digging around, if it was from the 1960's, it looks like it has a valuation ranging anywhere from $90,000 all the way up to $200,000.

I do think that the area's people live in can affect their mindset and their response to such a disaster. I think there is a certain element of mental preparedness that comes with living in certain areas. If you live in an area that is susceptible to wildfires or earthquakes or tornadoes, etc.. you have mentally prepared yourself for the possibility that something like this may happen. You obviously hope that it doesn't but it is in the back of your mind.

Do you think it is possible that certain areas such as Wenatchee are a closer knit community because they share that common bond?

Comment

Working...
                X