Uncontained Fire In Markleeville, CA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wildfires] Uncontained Fire In Markleeville, CA

The fire has claimed 16,500 acres so far and all surrounding campgrounds have been evacuated. However after 4 days of fighting, the fire is still 0% contained. The fire was started by a lightening strike coupled with strong winds and is located 8 to 10 miles south of Markleeville.

Originally posted by NBC News
    There are approximately 8 helitack, 8 airtankers (2 of which are DC-10), 17 engines, 3 water tenders, 15 crews, and 22 overhead; making a total of approximately 500 total personnel on the fire, officials said.
    The blaze known as the Washington Fire continues to burn Monday south of Markleeville, which is about 70 miles from Reno.
    Last edited by ASurvivor; 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Correction: the blaze - named the Washington Fire - is actually in California, near Markleeville.
    Tumbleweed and ASurvivor like this.

Comment

Is that northern California? I'm on the other side of the country and until recently not been a very "news aware" citizen, but it does seem I hear a LOT about these types of fire on that side of the country around this time of year.

Comment

Wild fires are a growing yearly concern in Washington, Oregon and California. The drought in California isn't helping matters.

Comment

California seems to be stricken with wildfires most often than other states. I remember a friend of mine who lives in San Diego whose house was almost hit by a wildfire. I can't remember the exact year but it was in the early 2000's. The California wildfire which wasn't contained for days spread in their area to the point that they could see the blazing fire clearly from their home. Luckily, the fire was contained even before reaching their neighborhood.

Comment

I'm glad somebody noticed that the subject line of this thread is not correct. I hope a mod fixes it as this is a California fire.

Comment

Sorry about that guys. I made a boo boo. LOL It is called the Washington fire but it is in California and like was said before, the drought in that area has been causing a lot of wildfires, though California is known for their fires as it is. While I lived there, there were 3 in the two years I was there. It is just so dry there that fires happen easily.

Comment

I went ahead and just tweaked the title of the thread lest there be any confusion from visitors. Hope you don't mind, Kimberly. Thanks.
                KimberlyD, fcphdJim and Tumbleweed like this.
                "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm not very familiar with wildfires. How do people deal with them? Allow them to burn out, or try to contain it somehow?

Comment

Thanks ASurvivor, I appreciate it. I should have taken care of that myself but I have been SO busy... getting in to do things other then post has been very difficult for me of late.

Yosh, the fire department tries the best they can to both contain and stop the fire. Most times it works, but there are times when the fire is difficult to stop. Typically during the driest months when the winds are up. Residences typically either evacuate the area (which is always advisable and most common) but some will try saturating their yards and homes with water in hopes that they can save them.

Comment

It's almost starting to feel like someone has a serious problem with California. I have been hearing about it disappearing into the ocean one day soon since I could understand English. But now this wildfire breaks out in he middle of a very serious drought. I'm so glad I never wanted to move here!

Comment

LilAnn, wildfires are common in California. It is very hot and dry there so wildfires are easily started. I lived there for 7 years and experienced quite a few wildfires while I was there. As for California dropping into the ocean.... LOL... they say that because there is a major fault line there and there are a lot of earthquakes. There is also a high population density nearer to the coast line. They believe there will be a quake hard enough that it will split along the fault line that runs North to South along California and that the coastal areas will sink beneath the water as a result.

Comment

Between the wildfires, earthquakes, mudslides, drought, the Mojave, and crime I don't know why anyone would want to live. I've been twice, once I spent the night in Blythe and another time I spent a few days in San Francisco. Nothing particularly bad happened. As a matter of fact the only bad to come out of it was the fault of the people who went with me. But I would never want to live there. I love beautiful land and beaches as much as anyone else. But, in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Comment

California is known for their disasters I'll give it that. LOL LilAnn I lived in Los Angeles CA for 7 years and witnessed mostly wild fires. The earthquakes that I witnessed were so mild, I barely noticed them. It is the drought that is causing the increase in issues of late.

Comment

Fires are something I have nightmares about, and I do have some concern about wildfires here, since the area is woodsy, but I've watched shows about the California wildfires, and they're terrifying. I can't imagine living under that threat constantly, especially having to evacuate small children and/or pets/wildlife. The firefighters and residents are definitely in my prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X