Wildfires and Anxiety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildfires and Anxiety

Wildfires is something that really gives me a lot of anxiety. We camp a lot in the middle of the forest and often times we will drive past a sign on the way in that says "Caution fire danger HIGH today". I start to panic when I see this. There is one way into the forest and one way out by vehicle and it's a tight old logging road. I just don't see escaping if a forest fire were to break out. We do usually camp on a lake, but even if we were to take our canoe in the middle of the lake, we wouldn't survive because of the heat. There really isn't anything you can do in this situation is there?

There is. Avoid roaming around forest areas when summer is at its peak for one. Just go there during the fall or spring season. For extra precautionary measures, don't bring cigarettes, a lighter and any other flammable item. A fire extinguisher would come in handy too - in case someone other than your group starts a fire.

Comment

In Hawaii I use to camp a lot. Every once in a great while we had forest fires. This was mostly due in part of smokers that threw their cigarettes bus out of the truck instead of putting it out in the ashtray. We never gave it much thought as to where to run if things got bad and our escape route was hindered. Maybe it was a carefree attitude or just the fact that this type of thing where people get caught in a forest fire never happened before. If I did get caught off in a forest fire, I'd probably jump into the ocean with my surfboard and paddle my way around to the safest bay. I think that's the predominant attitude towards beach fires.

Comment

I can't imagine that you would be enjoying your camping trip when you are that deeply concerned about getting caught up in a fire. It might be a good idea to go somewhere else where you feel safer and also more relaxed. If there is only one way in and out of the forest, there can be a sudden traffic jam during an unexpected blaze, even if it's minor, as everyone is trying to get out as fast as possible. This kind of situation might be worsened when people are panicking, which then might lead to accidents and all kinds of dramas.
        So, it might just be better to head in a different direction during your holidays or weekends where the danger of wildfires is lower.

Comment

I think that if you are the only ones out in the forest, and you take the proper precautions, then the odds of you being in a wildfire would be pretty low. As long as you're not having open fires, and keep flammable things safely contained then you are very unlikely to start a fire yourself. If you're camping in an area where there are many other campers, it's impossible to know whether they are all going to be as responsible as you, which would increase the danger for yourself. If it is something that really worries you, I think the best thing you can do is not camp when the forest is at high fire danger. Unfortunately that usually tends to be some of the best times to go camping due to great weather, but that is a decision you'd have to weigh yourself.

Comment

I do agree. Fire is definitely hard to defy. Like for example in our area are forest fires, definitely firemen cannot stop he fire because it is too huge. once this occurs, the only way we do is to watch the forest burns. That is why this month is the fire prevention month of my country but still, the forest are being burned.

Comment

When we were new in our place, we cleaned the nearby vacant lots for planting of vegetables. But since the grass were dry, my husband decided to just burn them. But he made sure that the fire would not spread by hosing the boundary into a square. And that square was the only portion that burned and nothing more. Neighbors said that so many times have wildfires occurred due to negligence in cleaning those vacant lot. They had to call the firemen to extinguish the fire.

Comment

Working...
              X