Ancient underwater volcanoes discovered off the coast of Australia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient underwater volcanoes discovered off the coast of Australia

A team of scientists have uncovered four enormous underwater volcanoes 155 miles off the coast of Sydney. The volcanoes, believed to be 50 million years old, were discovered by accident when scientists were searching for lobster larvae.

The cluster of volcanoes are more than 12 miles long, approximately 4 miles wide and located at a depth of about 4,890 meters.

Scientists believe the volcanoes were created by a series of shifts in geological plates that caused Australia to split from New Zealand. Suthers said the area was thought to be “billiard-table flat” but the enhanced mapping capability of the Investigator unveiled the calderas.

“They tell us part of the story of how New Zealand and Australia separated around 40m to 80m years ago, and they’ll now help scientists target future exploration of the sea floor to unlock the secrets of the Earth’s crust,” he said.

Video Copyright: Nadia Ploners

What an incredible discovery, by accident, no less!

http://www.theguardian.com/australia...oast-of-sydney
    Tumbleweed likes this.

Are these volcanoes active? They were under the ocean so does this mean these volcanoes won't be able to harm populated areas? It is fascinating that it took so long before these volcanoes were discovered. I know the under water volcanoes in lakes can cause a lot of damage because one of them erupted on my counter during the early 90's. Many people died because of it. I don't have much knowledge about volcanoes so I don't know if volcanoes under then ocean can be as Dangerous. I want to know if these volcanoes can be a potential threat.

Comment

Wow that is amazing! Who knows what else scientists can find underwater? Technology today really helps in uncovering new information about our planet. Sometimes, technology harms but in this case, technology helps.

I do hope that these volcanoes do not become a potential danger to Australia. Even inactive volcanoes can become active and endanger lives. Though at least, its discovery is something that can help in investigating whether it will be a threat or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
        Are these volcanoes active? They were under the ocean so does this mean these volcanoes won't be able to harm populated areas? It is fascinating that it took so long before these volcanoes were discovered. I know the under water volcanoes in lakes can cause a lot of damage because one of them erupted on my counter during the early 90's. Many people died because of it. I don't have much knowledge about volcanoes so I don't know if volcanoes under then ocean can be as Dangerous. I want to know if these volcanoes can be a potential threat.
        Fortunately, these volcanoes have been deemed extinct not dormant, and as such, there is no risk of an eruption. Researchers confirmed that these volcanoes have been "dead for a long time." From what I have read, given their tectonic setting, it would take some extreme and unique circumstances for these to erupt in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X