Here comes the rain...again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here comes the rain...again!

I am from the Midwest, and when I type that we have crazy weather, I don't take that lightly. For two years we were in extreme drought (and the year before that floods), and 2015 has been nothing but near-constant downpours! It is so dark outside right now, at 3 PM, it looks like night. The fields of corn and soybean have been growing worse because of flooding than they ever sustained from drought. It's been at least 5 years since conditions have been considered "normal". With all this extreme weather/climate change I really feel they are going to have to redefine normal. What are your thoughts on this? Have you seen it yourself?

I would like you to share some of that water with the west please 😉

Yes, we are definitely seeing changing weather patterns, but there is no way to know if they will last. Redefining normal may just result in constantly having to redefine it.

Comment

It's too bad all the water can't be diverted to California. They need it more then anyone else. There is a lot of water in the States but just no way to get it there cost effectively.

Comment

I have seen the same weather patterns that you describe in northern Australia in the last 5 years. We experienced a big increase in tropical cyclones, flooding, heavy torrential downpours and virtually endless rain. In fact, I had to leave that part of the world because I developed a serious illness due to a fungus. The constant damp weather was starting to affect people in different ways. Many began complaining of digestive issues and depression. Mildew and fungi were inevitable. I had to resort to drastic measures, such as spraying the walls of my house with white vinegar on a daily basis to kill the mold that never seemed to go away.
        Climate experts told us that it's the "La Niņa" effect, and that it can last up to seven years. Well, it lasted for about 5 years, after which followed bush fires and drought...

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          I have seen the same weather patterns that you describe in northern Australia in the last 5 years. We experienced a big increase in tropical cyclones, flooding, heavy torrential downpours and virtually endless rain. In fact, I had to leave that part of the world because I developed a serious illness due to a fungus. The constant damp weather was starting to affect people in different ways. Many began complaining of digestive issues and depression. Mildew and fungi were inevitable. I had to resort to drastic measures, such as spraying the walls of my house with white vinegar on a daily basis to kill the mold that never seemed to go away.
          Climate experts told us that it's the "La Niņa" effect, and that it can last up to seven years. Well, it lasted for about 5 years, after which followed bush fires and drought...
          Vinegar might slow down mold, but isn't going to kill it. You'll need to wipe down the walls carefully with bleach water to actually kill it, then air the place out really well.

You can get a dehumidifier to help control the excess moisture in the air.

Comment

DancingLady, bleach didn't do one bit of good. It only made the mold optically disappear. Also, I have a very strong reaction to the smell of bleach. It gives me breathing problems. I have been well educated on this subject, as the mold seriously affected my health. White vinegar, and also Colloidal Silver will get rid off it. Another effective remedy is home made cinnamon spray. It will keep the fungi at bay.
            Unfortunately, dehumidifiers didn't help in our case, as we lived in a rainforest area, and it was virtually impossible to keep anything dry during that long period of dampness.

Comment

I'm not from that region but that seems pretty rough! The climate there must be really prone to blunt changes, and it seems like the farming industry might take a hit because of it.

Comment

One of my facebook friends from the Midwest was recently telling me about all the rain they were getting. She said it was just totally crazy! And what's weird to me is that I live in Washington state and normally we get TONS of rain! Sometimes it rains practically all summer long! But NOT this year. We have had days upon days of sunshine, it's just so weird for us! Although I must admit I am enjoying it a bit, since I've been sun deprived most of my life. However, we are in a major drought with extreme fire danger. The fire danger is so high that even barbecuing is banned! So yeah, there is some really strange weather going on throughout all of the states I think!

Comment

Working...
                X