Tornado rips through Mount Maunganui in New Zealand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornado rips through Mount Maunganui in New Zealand

A tornado hit Mount Maunganui in New Zealand today with winds measuring up to 109 mph tearing roofs from houses and downing trees. One home lost two thirds of its roof, which ended up outside a nearby school. The same school also received some major damage including to the school's new astro-turf, which was completely ripped apart.

Although there have been no reports of any injuries at least eight families were forced to leave their homes as they were badly damaged while others were left without power due to fallen power lines.

More can be read here and here

To all those rugby lovers out there,there has been a word about ITM rugby games coming and looks like the Bay of Plenty Rugby Union will make an announcement on Monday to whether it can be repaired in time.its nothing that can't be repaired.

Comment

As far as history goes, New Zealand isn't a tornado-prone country. There may be a few small ones, but large tornadoes are rare. For them to experience such a powerful tornado without preamble, the residents must have gotten such a shock. They obviously weren't prepared enough - well not as much as the people of Kansas. I guess everyone of us, regardless of our location, needs to dig out a basement in our respective homes just in case an errant tornado takes us by surprise. The weather is so unpredictable these days.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
        As far as history goes, New Zealand isn't a tornado-prone country. There may be a few small ones, but large tornadoes are rare. For them to experience such a powerful tornado without preamble, the residents must have gotten such a shock. They obviously weren't prepared enough - well not as much as the people of Kansas. I guess everyone of us, regardless of our location, needs to dig out a basement in our respective homes just in case an errant tornado takes us by surprise. The weather is so unpredictable these days.
        This is so true. On average there are approximately seven moderate to severe tornadoes reported in New Zealand each year and fatalities associated with them are rare with the most recent event back in 2011 which killed 1 person.

The New Zealand Herald posted video footage of the aftermath of the tornado on their Youtube channel.

Comment

I didn't know that New Zealand gets tornadoes. I guess it doesn't matter where you live as mother nature calls the shots. It's good that there were no casualties though. Amazing footage.

Comment

Working...
          X