X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASurvivor
    started a topic Large Tornado Causes Significant Damage in IL

Large Tornado Causes Significant Damage in IL

At least one very large tornado struck central Illinois today The National Weather Service has confirmed the report and is advising people to take shelter. As of this time, there are not reported injuries, but there is considerable damage. Details may be read here.

• TerryRentz
    replied
    OMG.. Such a huge damage it has caused

Leave a comment:

• mairj23
    replied
    Chicago is another major city that always seem to get blasted. The Mid West in general is infamous for stormy weather, especially during spring time. That was one huge tornado.

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclemay View Post
    If I had to see something like this making its way towards my home, I don't know what I would do! It is enough to terrify anyone and some people have survived several of these. I don't know how people manage to get themselves together again after their homes have been totally destroyed. Surely you can drive or run away from a tornado, by going in the opposite direction. Can it follow, what is it attracted to?
    This article on Accuweather provides some background information as to what you should do if you were to be caught in a tornado while driving.
    If you see a tornado developing where you are driving, the best thing to do is to pull over and evacuate your vehicle. Seek shelter in the nearest sturdy building or storm shelter; do not hide under your car. The wind could potentially roll your car over. If there is no available shelter, find the nearest ditch or low-lying area and crouch low to the ground covering your head with your arms.

Potentially sturdy structures to look for while driving are fast food restaurants and banks. Fast food restaurants will usually have a cooler that could withstand a tornado similar to a safe in a bank, according to Samuhel. Also, seeking shelter in an interior wall is a good idea.
    This Tornado Guide also suggests that "If the tornado is visible, far away, and the traffic is light, you may be able to drive out of its path by moving at right angles to the tornado."

Leave a comment:

• oraclemay
    replied
    If I had to see something like this making its way towards my home, I don't know what I would do! It is enough to terrify anyone and some people have survived several of these. I don't know how people manage to get themselves together again after their homes have been totally destroyed. Surely you can drive or run away from a tornado, by going in the opposite direction. Can it follow, what is it attracted to?

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    The Chicago Tribune reports that Red Cross volunteers have been lending a helping hand to those affected by the tornado. Volunteers have been distributing shovels, buckets, rakes, and garbage bags in an effort to help with the cleanup operations.

Emergency personnel have also provided clean clothing and toiletries and are making sure those whose homes have been destroyed have a place to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    I saw this video today of a man that, instead of seeking shelter,decided to stop and shoot a video of a tornado as he drove through Illinois on his way to Indianapolis. He is very lucky to still be alive.

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    Residents of Fairdale have now been allowed to return home to assess the damage to their properties. The AP reports that a total of 70 buildings were detroyed or damaged in Fairdale and another 50 were hit in nearby Rochelle. All buildings have been searched although not all residents have been accounted for.

Photographer Tom Purdy posted this incredible image on his Twitter page.

Leave a comment:

• May102014
    replied
    This inevitable disasters always come to my mind. It would trickling and weakening my soul. I hope there will be advance accurate weather forecast to all over the world to remind people to evacuate and bring them into safe and secure shelters for their life's safety. Houses can be built again but life of a person will never be resurrected.

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    The National Weather Service published this photo showing the eye of the tornado.

Meanwhile, The Chicago Tribune reports that the tornado packed winds of 180 to 200 mph and measured a half-mile wide.

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    The Chicago Tribune reports that a second person has died as a result of another tornado. All 71 buildings in Fairdale sustained some damage and 17 homes were knocked off their foundations. At least 11 other people have been taken to hospital while officials report that a few residents remain unaccounted for.

Leave a comment:

• kevinkimers
    replied
    One person has been confirmed dead but rescue crews are still combing the area.

Leave a comment:

• dillinger10
    replied
    The Weather Service in Davenport, Iowa, has announced that they have received multiple reports of tornadoes in Scott and Clinton counties in the far eastern part of the state although there have been no reports of injuries. The weather has also caused the cancellation of more than 700 flights in Chicago.

The Weather Channel is providing realtime updates for those that wish to stay up to date.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X