Sinkhole swallows parts of Queensland beachfront

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinkhole swallows parts of Queensland beachfront

Parts of Queensland’s beachfront have been hit by a second massive near-shore landslide after a large sinkhole appeared today. This is the second time it happens, last Septembers, another sinkhole swallowed 200m of beachfront and some cars. It was estimated to be larger than a football field and three meters in depth. This time, luckily, no property damage was reported.

Full article: ​http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...and-beachfront

Sinkholes have been cropping up all over the world lately and not just in Australia - which only means one thing: tectonic plates are moving at a rapid pace. Hollow lands and lands situated near fault lines are always the first ones to suffer every time the earth shifts.

Comment

Sinkholes are one of those things we can't really avoid. One thing we can do is to monitor the areas where tectonic plates move most rapidly and make sure we don't establish housing and buildings in that area. It's a shame that collateral damage occurs as a result and we should try avoid it as much as possible. I've always wondered, how does one go about "fixing" or "filling" a sinkhole? Are they just left there to stay? Because they can happen in developed and high populated areas, therefore posing a safety risk, with people potentially falling into them.

Comment

Here's another article I found about the incident. It says here that some tents were destroyed because of the incident. I'm just happy that no person was hurt when the sinkhole happened though. But it still stands that this is the second sinkhole in that place, just six months ago, the first sinkhole happened.

As far as fixing sinkholes, I've read that you would need to fill it up with concrete. But this only works on sinkholes in land or soils. For beaches, it's a bit weird, because you just cannot fill it up with sand again. From what I've read, the sides of the sinkholes are way easy to collapse so you cannot use heavy equipment as well.
        A large section of beach has fallen into the sea at a popular Queensland camping location for the second time in six months. Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) rangers are monitoring erosion near a barge landing at Inskip Point, north of the Sunshine Coast. It's believed a phenomenon known as a "near-shore landslide" undermined the shoreline and caused the rapid erosion between 8am and 10.15am on Tuesday. [node_list title="Related" uuid="a934ee27-e6f6-499b-84c4-f458242c99bf"]

Comment

Working...
        X